LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Quarterback Carousel 2018

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
ok,, i am very simple and stupid.. i really want us to trade our number one pick to a qb needy team. I know its hard to say what goes through teams minds but do you guys think there will be some suitors for us that fit into that category of qb needy after free agency ends? will a bunch of teams fill their qb spot in free agency or do you think we have a chance to trade our pick? or both? lol

I don't think you are stupid. It's a really good and fascinating question. And it really depends...

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen are the top 4 prospects in this draft. We know Browns, Jets, and Broncos have immediate needs for a franchise QB that pick in the top 6. The Cardinals and Bills have the draft ammo to trade up as they both have needs at the position.

The two wild cards are Kirk Cousins and the NY Giants. If Cousins signs with any of the QB needy teams, then that increases the chance for a QB prospect to drop. If the Giants decide to focus on immediate need vs. picking a successor for Manning at #2, then that helps the QB drop as well.

Lastly, the Colts and Bears are additional wild cards. You hope they love prospects at their respective positions to stay and not trade down. Chubb for the Colts and a guy like Edmunds for the Bears.

If one of the top 4 prospects is available at #9, we will have strong interest for the selection. If Lamar Jackson is the only one left standing, we'll be aggressive to find a small trade down for a team interested in a top prospect not at QB.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Denver settler for Case Keenum. Haha
Keenum is a good fit for Denver, IMO. They probably still draft a QB with their #1.
Originally posted by captveg:
Keenum is a good fit for Denver, IMO. They probably still draft a QB with their #1.

This, Keenum is definitely a stop-gap answer while they try to find their QBotF. Denver's in a good position to nab a QB if they really like one.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by cciowa:
ok,, i am very simple and stupid.. i really want us to trade our number one pick to a qb needy team. I know its hard to say what goes through teams minds but do you guys think there will be some suitors for us that fit into that category of qb needy after free agency ends? will a bunch of teams fill their qb spot in free agency or do you think we have a chance to trade our pick? or both? lol

I don't think you are stupid. It's a really good and fascinating question. And it really depends...

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen are the top 4 prospects in this draft. We know Browns, Jets, and Broncos have immediate needs for a franchise QB that pick in the top 6. The Cardinals and Bills have the draft ammo to trade up as they both have needs at the position.

The two wild cards are Kirk Cousins and the NY Giants. If Cousins signs with any of the QB needy teams, then that increases the chance for a QB prospect to drop. If the Giants decide to focus on immediate need vs. picking a successor for Manning at #2, then that helps the QB drop as well.

Lastly, the Colts and Bears are additional wild cards. You hope they love prospects at their respective positions to stay and not trade down. Chubb for the Colts and a guy like Edmunds for the Bears.

If one of the top 4 prospects is available at #9, we will have strong interest for the selection. If Lamar Jackson is the only one left standing, we'll be aggressive to find a small trade down for a team interested in a top prospect not at QB.

Yup, it depends on if a quarterback falls and if a QB-needy team behind us has fallen in love with that QB that fell AND has enough ammo to make the move to trade up into the top10 to get him. Let's hope it happens. Would love to add additional picks this year, or even future picks! That would be a big win.
I see several teams that got or plan to get a stop-gap guy, but still likely will draft a QB early between Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Rudolph. Among the teams that need(ed) QBs:

Got a guy, but stlil need to draft one:
Broncos - They got Keenum, but I doubt they put all their eggs in that basket. I still see them drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd.
Browns - They got Tyrod Taylor, but you wouldn't want to put all your hopes into him either. Browns will draft a QB early if they're smart.
Cardinals - They got Bradford, but it's only a one year deal. They have to draft a QB of the future.
Saints - Brees isn't slowing down it seems, but they'd be wise to groom someone soon.
Giants - Eli isn't a bad QB, but he seems like he's on the downside of his career, and I think it's time for a new franchise guy.
Jets - They got Bridgewater, but who knows how he'll come back from injury. He is a solid bridge QB (no pun intended), who has potential to be more. But Jets have a high enough pick to draft a potential franchise guy who will provide serious competition for Teddy.

Best bet is the Draft:
Bills - They traded up for a reason, I think they are looking to draft a franchise guy.

Found a guy in FA, don't need another:
Vikings - They think Kirk Cousins is the man, we'll see.

Only remaining FA QBs left on the Market that might be worth looking at for a team: McCarron. Maybe McCown and Kaepernick, but I don't see them getting a shot anywhere else now.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Jets came into F/A with $90 million dollars and dreams of Kirk Cousins and end up with Josh McCown again...lol
Share 49ersWebzone