There are 126 users in the forums

Pat Mahomes and the Kansas City Swifties Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Gonna be interesting how KC does from here on out, but as much as I still like the Chiefs and respect Reid -- despite his totally awful play-calling in important times -- I have a bad feeling about their season. The Raiders, Chargers, and Broncos with Keenum (if he plays like he did last year) are all on the rise. Chiefs have offensive weapons, but they they don't have a ton of quality picks to work with to build back the defense. They lost their star play-caller and things seemed to fell apart when Reid took back over.

Unless Mahomes plays lights out and the defense steps up, they are in danger of being middle of the pack.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by dj43:
Looks like the Chiefs are going into full re-build mode.

Word this morning is that Brett Veach has all but admitted Albert Wilson will follow former Chiefs OC Matt Nagy to Chicago.

Veteran DL Allen Bailey also appears bound for FA. He's not quite good enough to spend limited cap money on.

When Niner fans look at the mess KC is in they can once again say a huge "thank you" to Marathe for keeping the 49ers out of salary cap hell.

This is so insane to me. Their window is still open. Never heard of a team doing a full on rebuild after being back to back division champions. Especially when they will be getting their best defensive player back.

Bunch of monkeys running that organization.

eh, KC was doing it with smoke and mirrors on defense last season. That is why the Peters trade is so perplexing. All the rumored "Monday through Saturday" stuff must have been really bad to cut him loose.

That having been said, even with Justin Houston they needed another OLB. Hali is done and so is Ford (back). Dereck Johnson is done although Kevin Pierre-Paul looked adequate though not great as a replacement. Ron Parker was BAD at safety and has been cut. Their DL front has been ineffective since Poe went to Atlanta.

In short, John Dorsey spent them into salary cap hell and they have no room, even with the Smith trade to attract any quality in FA. To make matters worse, they hocked the farm to move up for Mahomes (two 1st and a 3rd). As a result, the combination of no cap room and very limited draft picks put them in a bad way. They had to trade Smith to gain cap room and Peters to get draft picks.

As I said, bad situation.

Looks like you were wrong, sir. No rebuild for the Chiefs this year. Anthony Hitchens was a nice move for them as well.

Too soon to say. No one wants to go full rebuild, however, they still need a lot of help.

KC writers are looking at the Hitchens signing as a needed replacement for Hali and the concerns over Ford's back. They still have big holes in their defense. Talk is about the need to improve at all three levels. They lost out on Lotulelei and are kicking tires on Richardson. Still need ILB help. Safety remains an issue. Even if Berry returns, they cut Ron Parker which leaves them with Sorenson who is barely a stop gap. Losing Peters will be a crusher. As of now, their CB starters would be a pair of ex-49ers.

The Watkins signing is being questioned based on the price but the hope is the juice will be worth the squeeze. He brings a better all-around deep threat than they have had in years. They gave up on D'Anthony Thomas and Albert Wilson who will have to be replaced for depth. In short, the offense will have to be very good in order to make up for a defense that needs a lot of help.
Has Sammy Watkins ever done anything? Strange signing.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HomerJ:

He's a starter... gets hurt too much and lets face it, how awesome are you going to look if you're a WR in Buffalo????

In other words, he's a first round pick that went too high in the first round.
Originally posted by Geeked:

He's a starter... gets hurt too much and lets face it, how awesome are you going to look if you're a WR in Buffalo????

With Hill, Kelce and Hunt, I don't really see where he fits. Plus they should be getting back a healthy Conley, plus that other guy I'm forgetting right now. WR out of UF.
  • dj43

With Hill, Kelce and Hunt, I don't really see where he fits. Plus they should be getting back a healthy Conley, plus that other guy I'm forgetting right now. WR out of UF.

Lot of KC folks are not sold on him although he was pretty good outside the numbers.

Robinson struggled with the route tree. Not crisp.

General sentiment on Watkins is similar to what 49er fans are saying about Garoppolo; give him more weapons. They have a great TE and a terrific straight-line deep threat in Hill. Also, Hunt is good out of the backfield. What they don't have is a reliable route runner that can work in the mid-to-deep zones.

Lot of KC folks are not sold on him although he was pretty good outside the numbers.

General sentiment on Watkins is similar to what 49er fans are saying about Garoppolo; give him more weapons. They have a great TE and a terrific straight-line deep threat in Hill. Also, Hunt is good out of the backfield. What they don't have is a reliable route runner that can work in the mid-to-deep zones.

Yeah I like Conley, I think he can be a very good receiver in that offense. He has all the measurables. I think the money spent for Watkins would be better spent on that defense that needs serious help.

I'm sure that Hill will be in line for a very big payday coming up also.
  • dj43

Yeah I like Conley, I think he can be a very good receiver in that offense. He has all the measurables. I think the money spent for Watkins would be better spent on that defense that needs serious help.

I'm sure that Hill will be in line for a very big payday coming up also.

It is also a concern as to whether or not Berry will come back at 100%.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
You guys still following the Chiefs lol
Originally posted by jimrat:

We are football fans.

• dj43
Originally posted by jimrat:

We are football fans.
Watkins is boom or bust. This offense is stacked. Defense looks solid also. Fools talking about rebuild are smoking the stems and seeds on accident

Some decent plays in this vid:

He's a solid #2, IMO.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

He's a solid #2, IMO.
he should drink more water
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

He's a solid #2, IMO.

s**t hands but big play ability after the catch. Maybe those short cross concepts from big red will work for him. Set up to get YAC
Share 49ersWebzone