There are 232 users in the forums

Pat Mahomes and the Kansas City Swifties Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Watkins took a paycut I believe, plus it was easy to do those 3 deals, as Mahomes had his 5th yr option left for 2020, Jones didn't get a signing bonus, and Kelce had 2yr lefts on his deal.

They're already over $200M committed in 2021, and with a $175M cap, they'll be like $25M over, but that's before roster cuts are made.

They'll have to restructure or cut players, like we'll have to do.

Watkins will be let go after the season. Im shocked he wasn't let go after this past season.

If you read the article I linked on the previous page, it notes how numerous KC stars have agreed to take less money than they might have made on the open market, just so they could keep the team together and keep winning. Watkins is just one of those guys who took a cut. Kelce's deal resulted in no net raise for this current year. That will help with the reduced cap. He won't catch up for three more years. Jones also took less.

You have never really cared for Watkins. Andy Reid says, "YOU ARE WRONG."

I have never cared for Watkins because his salary/talent level has only matched his production once in his career. He is perennially injured and he produces to the level of an undrafted free agent, but is paid like a top 25 WR.

I read what you linked. But I also believe that the salary cap isn't really a cap. If it was, players like Watkins wouldn't have the opportunity to reduce his massive salary to keep the team together. He would be cut and replaced by any number of players who could come in and duplicate his production at a small fraction of the price.
Watkins took a paycut I believe, plus it was easy to do those 3 deals, as Mahomes had his 5th yr option left for 2020, Jones didn't get a signing bonus, and Kelce had 2yr lefts on his deal.

They're already over $200M committed in 2021, and with a $175M cap, they'll be like $25M over, but that's before roster cuts are made.

Watkins will be let go after the season. Im shocked he wasn't let go after this past season.

If you read the article I linked on the previous page, it notes how numerous KC stars have agreed to take less money than they might have made on the open market, just so they could keep the team together and keep winning. Watkins is just one of those guys who took a cut. Kelce's deal resulted in no net raise for this current year. That will help with the reduced cap. He won't catch up for three more years. Jones also took less.

I have never cared for Watkins because his salary/talent level has only matched his production once in his career. He is perennially injured and he produces to the level of an undrafted free agent, but is paid like a top 25 WR.

I read what you linked. But I also believe that the salary cap isn't really a cap. If it was, players like Watkins wouldn't have the opportunity to reduce his massive salary to keep the team together. He would be cut and replaced by any number of players who could come in and duplicate his production at a small fraction of the price.

this "taking a pay cut for the the team to stay together" only works if the team is winning and will keep on winning.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Aug 18, 2020 at 1:38 AM ]
Chiefs CB Breeland has been suspended 4 games for violating the substance abuse policy.

100% correct. Great to see others that aren't falling for the narrative.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 20, 2020 at 5:35 AM ]
  • dj43

I agree that Watkins seems to be overpaid. Still, Veach/Reid chose to keep him instead of cutting him.

I'm not sure even someone like AB understands all of how the salary cap works. For teams to be able to do what KC did seems to be black magic.

(no offense to AB. just making a point about how complicated these matters have become)
I'm not sure if you can beat that? It's almost unfair. It's like watching Super Man play QB. He's so far above everybody else it's unbelievable.

* Rocket arm of Brett Favre.

* Accuracy of Tom Brady.

* Throw on the run capability and scrambling ability of Russell Wilson.

this guy can get the madden curse and win a chip in the same year.
On a whole different level.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm not sure if you can beat that? It's almost unfair. It's like watching Super Man play QB. He's so far above everybody else it's unbelievable.

* Accuracy of Tom Brady.

And he's clutch like Montana.
Originally posted by ChicoCorrales:
On a whole different level.

Mahomes and Reid will be the next Bellicheck and Brady

• dj43
Andy Reid's genius was on full display last night. It isn't just the weapons they have accumulated, in terms of play design, Reid is doing stuff no one else in the NFL is doing. The movement that set up the shovel pass to Sherman for the TD was mind-boggling.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

* Accuracy of Tom Brady.

Yeah it's a rather bad combination if you are the team playing against him.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

* Accuracy of Tom Brady.

Yeah it's a rather bad combination if you are the team playing against him.

Did I ever tell you boys that if I was the GM of the 49ers during the 2017 draft I would have selected Mahomes with #3?
I just got a random update that he and his fiancée are expecting. I don't give a s**t at all and was pretty annoyed I would get a notification and figured I'd spread this frustration
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I just got a random update that he and his fiancée are expecting. I don't give a s**t at all and was pretty annoyed I would get a notification and figured I'd spread this frustration

lol she's going to fleece him for everything he has. Child support, alimony, etc
Share 49ersWebzone