Pat Mahomes and the Kansas City Swifties Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jiks
Lol
MVP
MVP
MVP
Originally posted by dj43:
For crying out loud, people. This is the KC thread. We hashed all the Alex Smith stuff to death over the past 13 years. It is well established he had the best year of his life when he finally had a good supporting cast. It is also well established that last year with Mahomes was an even bigger year. So leave it there and move on.

It doesn't matter who "started" it. It takes two to tango.
FTFY, my man.
  • dj43
The Reason for the Rapid Rise of Patrick Mahomes

"I think it was the best decision he made, his family made," says Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury, "because he got that year to learn from a guy who is a consumate professional, has played in different organizations, is a brilliant guy. You can't recreate that opportunity he had.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-breakout-performance-alex-smith

"I think it was the best decision he made, his family made," says Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury, "because he got that year to learn from a guy who is a consumate professional, has played in different organizations, is a brilliant guy. You can't recreate that opportunity he had.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-breakout-performance-alex-smith

While it's clear Alex Smith helped Mahomes, it was also as clear as day from his college tape that he was going to be a great NFL QB. He is yet another one that I just cannot understand why people didn't see how great he was going to be based on the college tape- especially because he didn't even follow the scheme half the time (one of the big knocks against him was the scheme), instead making Brett Favre plays all over the place, throwing the vert when he should check it down simply because he had the ability to do it.

When a college QB has a rocket arm, repeatedly shows that he can throw off his spot and from awkward angles, repeatedly shows he can throw with anticipation, repeatedly shows he can throw accurately including under pressure, repeatedly shows he can throw with either touch or with the fury and power of Zeus, and repeatedly shows that he has the ability to look off a defense (showcasing the last important trait, that he has the functional intelligence a QB needs in the heat of the moment), there is no possible way he will not succeed in the NFL, short of some wonky unforeseen consequence.

I truly do not understand. How is it that so many people didn't see how great he was just from his college tape?
  • dj43
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

While it's clear Alex Smith helped Mahomes, it was also as clear as day from his college tape that he was going to be a great NFL QB. He is yet another one that I just cannot understand why people didn't see how great he was going to be based on the college tape- especially because he didn't even follow the scheme half the time (one of the big knocks against him was the scheme), instead making Brett Favre plays all over the place, throwing the vert when he should check it down simply because he had the ability to do it.

When a college QB has a rocket arm, repeatedly shows that he can throw off his spot and from awkward angles, repeatedly shows he can throw with anticipation, repeatedly shows he can throw accurately including under pressure, repeatedly shows he can throw with either touch or with the fury and power of Zeus, and repeatedly shows that he has the ability to look off a defense (showcasing the last important trait, that he has the functional intelligence a QB needs in the heat of the moment), there is no possible way he will not succeed in the NFL, short of some wonky unforeseen consequence.

I truly do not understand. How is it that so many people didn't see how great he was just from his college tape?

Do you have a comment on the content of the article linked above?
[ Edited by dj43 on Mar 23, 2019 at 9:01 PM ]
Do you have a comment of the content of the article linked above?
Yeah. I disagree with the basic premise. He already knew how to be a professional from his father and godfather, both of whom were professional athletes, and as far as tutoring on the offense, I'm sure Alex's example helped, but Andy Reid is the best there is at that.
I think he may struggle next year. Wow that team really lost a lot on offense and defense both. A disastrous off season for KC.
  • dj43
Yeah. I disagree with the basic premise. He already knew how to be a professional from his father and godfather, both of whom were professional athletes, and as far as tutoring on the offense, I'm sure Alex's example helped, but Andy Reid is the best there is at that.

So the fact that both Reid and Mahomes himself recognized Smith as having shortened the learning curve does not impact your thinking?

So the fact that both Reid and Mahomes himself recognized Smith as having shortened the learning curve does not impact your thinking?

I think Mahomes was Alex's tutor .

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

I think Mahomes was Alex's tutor .

Me too. It took Alex watching Mahomes in practice to realize Hill was the best deep threat in the game. Then Alex spammed that s*** anytime Hill got 1 on 1 coverage.

If not for Mahomes showing Alex, I think he would have wasted another year of Hill, and had another abysmal season like he did in 2016/2018.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 24, 2019 at 6:03 PM ]
Machines was on alexs ass so close in practice? That explains Alex's outlier year. Think he did learn what can be done with that talent from Mahomes.
It's a good thing Reid put Alex's balls to the fire and made him throw deep that last year otherwise Mahomes would be Kap.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 24, 2019 at 6:14 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It's a good thing Reid put Alex's balls to the fire and made him throw deep that last year otherwise Mahomes would be Kap.

It made Alex sign a rich last contract. He owes Reid.
Pat could've backed up Peterman and still be great. His level of arm talent is incredible. If anything, Reid was the biggest difference maker since he realised how good he was and didnt try and Jeff Fisher his QB.

Im sure that having a quality qb to learn from helped as well, but i dont think it matters that much when you have that kind of talent. The only way he doesn't succeed if Singletary was his coach and he got drafted by an expansion team...even then.

Edit* sorry forgot to add in my post, Haha, LOL!! LOL GG ! HAHA.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Mar 25, 2019 at 7:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone