LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Pat Mahomes and the Kansas City Swifties Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't understand the Chief was trade Alex Smith to Redskins because he is free agent?!.
[ Edited by BuZzB05 on Jan 31, 2018 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
I don't understand the Chief was trade Alex Smith to Redskins because he is free agent?!.

Alex had 1 more year on his contract. Skin are giving Alex a new/extended contract. None of this is more than a handshake yet and both teams can back out...but that's unlikely.

Bottom line is that the Skinnies have given up a lot in the trade and have decided that Alex will be paid rather than risk that he'd end up somewhere else..and I think there were a number of places he could have gone.

If Mahomes plays anything close to Alex Smith, the team should be much improved.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 31, 2018 at 12:18 PM ]
Chiefs SB chances just increased from .01% to 2%
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Amazing trade for KC.

-Upgrade their draft position
-Upgrade their secondary
-Save roughly $16M
-Upgrade their quarterba.......

I'll see myself out.

Speaks volumes for how much Smith is worth to other teams!

I mean.....two teams have now dumped Smith in the middle of their window to win a Superbowl. So it depends on what lens you look at the situation through.
Chiefs need to draft a WR. Kelce, Hunt, Tyreke is a good start. Add a big 6'3 wr to the mix and the offense could be very good

Defense fixed biggest problem. Maybe add dline and they should be set
I mean.....two teams have now dumped Smith in the middle of their window to win a Superbowl. So it depends on what lens you look at the situation through.

He's so valuable teams drop him first chance they get when a youngster shows promise

Both times it was somewhat similar. He got dumped for a guy that makes more "splashy" throws. Is way more of a risk taker, bigger arm. I guess Reid and Harbaugh are too tempted of the potential the backups showed.

In the former Smith thread, I said it was obvious he getting moved because they didn't draft Mahomes that high for him to sit on the bench. I think dtg got on my case a bit for that statement. Not sure why, it was pretty obvious. Chiefs love Mahomes, shed salary, pick up a pick, AND a promising young corner. Washington gets a good starting QB. Both sides are happy I guess.

Also, I think I made a point to you that there is a WIDE variance in opinion of Alex through the NFL. You were under the impression that this variance was only present on da Zone. I think it's safe to say after this trade, huge payday, wide range of responses that I was spot on in regards to that point.
Hilarious the original smith thread is gone, and now we have two thread for him.

Man, we love alex on the zone. All of us. He is the number one hit on here in regards to interest by a mile, outside of Jimmy.
[ Edited by sacniner on Jan 31, 2018 at 1:47 PM ]
Amazing trade for KC.

-Upgrade their secondary
-Save roughly $16M

I'll see myself out.

Window to win a Superbowl is a theory (and ignores factors like cap hit, highly drafted QBs sitting behind him, etc.) Compensation received for the QB - and that paid for the QB - are facts. Facts that show how the QB is valued by those doing the deals vs. fans on the interwebs. What is something worth? What a wiling buyer and a willing seller will pay in the marketplace.

Now, if Smith had been actually "dumped" for nothing or for a handful of magic beans that would be different. You yourself have commented on how awesome the CB that KC got in this deal is, so that's not the case here.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Jan 31, 2018 at 4:07 PM ]
Window to win a Superbowl is a theory (and ignores thinks like cap hit, highly drafted QBs sitting behind him, etc.) Compensation received for the QB - and that paid for the QB - are facts. Facts that show how the QB is valued by those doing the deals vs. fans on the interwebs. What is something worth? What a wiling buyer and a willing seller will pay in the marketplace.

Now, if Smith had been actually "dumped" for nothing or for a handful of magic beans that would be different. Your yourself have commented on how awesome the CB is that KC got in this deal, so that's not the case here.

Alex is valued highly by many around the league, as has been stated by different media outlets and proven by the huge contract Alex got, and the haul that KC received in the trade.

There is a wide range of opinion regarding Alex throughout the league. He is good, but never got the respect he deserved until Washington showed him some now. The fact he got dumped twice is crazy for a guy who just got paid like that. Shows the range of opinion for Alex.

I think SteveWallace is surprised that a team would invest that much into Alex because he thought only a few on the Zone regarded him that highly (as he stated). My boy likes to debate, so he'll go at it any angle possible

Originally posted by sacniner:
Window to win a Superbowl is a theory (and ignores thinks like cap hit, highly drafted QBs sitting behind him, etc.) Compensation received for the QB - and that paid for the QB - are facts. Facts that show how the QB is valued by those doing the deals vs. fans on the interwebs. What is something worth? What a wiling buyer and a willing seller will pay in the marketplace.

Now, if Smith had been actually "dumped" for nothing or for a handful of magic beans that would be different. Your yourself have commented on how awesome the CB is that KC got in this deal, so that's not the case here.

Alex is valued highly by many around the league, as has been stated by different media outlets and proven by the huge contract Alex got, and the haul that KC received in the trade.

There is a wide range of opinion regarding Alex throughout the league. He is good, but never got the respect he deserved until Washington showed him some now. The fact he got dumped twice is crazy for a guy who just got paid like that. Shows the range of opinion for Alex.

I think SteveWallace is surprised that a team would invest that much into Alex because he thought only a few on the Zone regarded him that highly (as he stated). My boy likes to debate, so he'll go at it any angle possible

Agreed. A WIDE range of opinions.
  • dj43
Amazing trade for KC.

-Upgrade their secondary
-Save roughly $16M

I'll see myself out.

The Chiefs had no choice but to move Smith. They were $8M OVER the cap with no other logical options to reduce it. Now they are $9M UNDER the cap and have solved the #2 CB problem and a 3rd round choice.

Of course all of this depends on how well Mahomes performs.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Hilarious the original smith thread is gone, and now we have two thread for him.

Man, we love alex on the zone. All of us. He is the number one hit on here in regards to interest by a mile, outside of Jimmy.

The John Cena of the Webzone.
That guy Clay is having an obsessive Alex meltdown on Twitter. Hilarious
Window to win a Superbowl is a theory (and ignores factors like cap hit, highly drafted QBs sitting behind him, etc.) Compensation received for the QB - and that paid for the QB - are facts. Facts that show how the QB is valued by those doing the deals vs. fans on the interwebs. What is something worth? What a wiling buyer and a willing seller will pay in the marketplace.

Now, if Smith had been actually "dumped" for nothing or for a handful of magic beans that would be different. You yourself have commented on how awesome the CB that KC got in this deal is, so that's not the case here.

I wish you hadnt focused on the word dumped. I didnt mean it to be derogatory. What I did mean was that two Superbowl contending teams have decided they would be better off without him in the middle of their runs.

Anyway, I dont agree SB window is a theory. I think its absolutely real. Like you alluded to in the parentheses, there are many factors as to why a SB window would stay open or close. But it absolutely is a thing.

I honestly believe that the Chiefs getting as much as they got for Alex was for 2 reasons. 1) he had a very good statistical season this year, and 2) there is an huge demand for competent QB play in the NFL right now. I dont believe Alex is a franchise QB, and him being traded twice in the middle of eras where the two teams were the best they had been in a long time is very telling.
Share 49ersWebzone