Shop 49ers game tickets
I really hope Alex plays again.

Would love to see it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Would love to see it.
can he do anything at all right now in regards to football. throwing the ball. lifting weights? we know he is a good student of the game so its no issue for him to learn and execute the plays but can he do anything physically at all?
  • dj43
Originally posted by cciowa:

Would love to see it.
can he do anything at all right now in regards to football. throwing the ball. lifting weights? we know he is a good student of the game so its no issue for him to learn and execute the plays but can he do anything physically at all?

If the bone is fully healed, he can begin rebuilding the muscle tissue that was removed due to the infection. It will be slow and tedious, however, that would be necessary anyway just to get him to where he can walk with confidence. Running is likely months away.
Originally posted by dj43:

Would love to see it.

If the bone is fully healed, he can begin rebuilding the muscle tissue that was removed due to the infection. It will be slow and tedious, however, that would be necessary anyway just to get him to where he can walk with confidence. Running is likely months away.

The apparatus is off, so that's a step in the right direction. He's still talking like he's going to attempt a come back, but then his paycheck depends on his making the effort. I don't buy too much into what's being said one way or the other. I do think that based on Alex's character, he'll make the attempt regardless of the probabilities and let the results make the decision for him.

I still see this as a perfect opportunity for him to gain additional experience coaching and learn the job by watching the coaches instead of focusing on his own play.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Debryune:
I dunno. I think if that leg fully recovers, he could still be an effective NFL player. Say it takes another year and a half, plenty of teams could use a QB of his caliber.

You know how a lot of players are Gunshy after an injury comeback? I can't imagine how many more check down's Alex will throw, thinking a hit is coming if he is able to start again anywhere.

While this is the most severe injury he's had, it's not the only one. Remember the shoulder? He's already proven he has the mental resilience coming back from not just that, but the absolutely torrential hate from fans and mismanagement by coaches in his early years.

yeah and he was like, 12 years younger? lmao
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I dunno. I think if that leg fully recovers, he could still be an effective NFL player. Say it takes another year and a half, plenty of teams could use a QB of his caliber.

You know how a lot of players are Gunshy after an injury comeback? I can't imagine how many more check down's Alex will throw, thinking a hit is coming if he is able to start again anywhere.

While this is the most severe injury he's had, it's not the only one. Remember the shoulder? He's already proven he has the mental resilience coming back from not just that, but the absolutely torrential hate from fans and mismanagement by coaches in his early years.

If anything, his age now actually further supports my point that he should have the mental fortitude to overcome something like this. Like I said, he already went through it before. He's been in the league a long time. Look at Manning, went forever without playing and still came back and performed. All I'm saying is, Smith has the right mind to overcome obstacles.

If anything, his age now actually further supports my point that he should have the mental fortitude to overcome something like this. Like I said, he already went through it before. He's been in the league a long time. Look at Manning, went forever without playing and still came back and performed. All I'm saying is, Smith has the right mind to overcome obstacles.

his body and healing doesn't have the same 'resilience' like it did or had naturally. whether he likes it or not. im not talking about his mental status lol

his body and healing doesn't have the same 'resilience' like it did or had naturally. whether he likes it or not. im not talking about his mental status lol

But I was lol, that's why the response was strange because it didn't fit with what you quoted.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 20, 2019 at 7:26 AM ]

But I was lol, that's why the response was strange because it didn't fit with what you quoted.

his mental fortitude is besides the point and is not something we as fans can quantify or have any real insight about. it's just pointless speculation
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Most deep passing yards (20+yard throws) in a season (2016-18):

1. 2018 Patrick Mahomes 1514
2. 2016 Kirk Cousins 1359
3. 2017 Alex Smith 1344
4. 2016 Drew Brees 1250
5. 2016 Russell Wilson 1199

You can do that when you surround a QB with some decent weapons. The most impressive name on the list is Willow. He gets it done with less than any of the others.

Lol. Pairing the best TE with the best deep threat of all time, and the top rushing RB is "decent"? That's been the best offense for 2 years now lmao, and they were better without Alex.

You might as well replace Alex's name on that list with Tyreek Hill. Alex was just chucking it anytime he saw single coverage on Hill. Any QB can do that. We saw Alex without Hill last year, I'm not sure he even completed a deep pass in his 10 games last year, absolutely awful.

LOL

Would love to see it.

all of that to come back to the NFL where you probably wont be playing your best, and the time and work it would take just to re-acclimate yourself to the routine/gameday, everything.... all back on that leg. is it really worth it at this point? he should just do what's best for himself and hang it up, pocket that money.
Would be a gruesome injury to mentally recover from. Just people coming at your leg is going to mess with him.

his mental fortitude is besides the point and is not something we as fans can quantify or have any real insight about. it's just pointless speculation

Reading back, the discussion was about him coming back gunshy -- my point of contention was that he's been around and seen a thing or two, been through a lot, so I don't see him being mentally gunshy. His athletic ability may change, but I think Smith remains one of the toughest-minded players in the NFL period. You don't have to be able to quantify it. It's as simple as pointing to history and how much he endured. Everyone knows what he faced. History showed he can overcome things that would be major mental hurdles for any player (prior injury, coach mishandling, fan hatred, getting replaced/traded), so I have no reason to believe he can't bounce right back and do it again if he's physically healthy.

And that's the point of the original post I replied to from Debry. His thought was, even if healthy, he felt Smith would be gunshy. I pointed to evidence to support my notion that I think he'd be fine mentally.

Reading back, the discussion was about him coming back gunshy -- my point of contention was that he's been around and seen a thing or two, been through a lot, so I don't see him being mentally gunshy. His athletic ability may change, but I think Smith remains one of the toughest-minded players in the NFL period. You don't have to be able to quantify it. It's as simple as pointing to history and how much he endured. Everyone knows what he faced. History showed he can overcome things that would be major mental hurdles for any player (prior injury, coach mishandling, fan hatred, getting replaced/traded), so I have no reason to believe he can't bounce right back and do it again if he's physically healthy.

And that's the point of the original post I replied to from Debry. His thought was, even if healthy, he felt Smith would be gunshy. I pointed to evidence to support my notion that I think he'd be fine mentally.

Jimmy G may or may not be experiencing that. or have yesterday night, despite what he said after the game. However he has way less experience than alex, also despite having 2 completely different injuries. Alex could absolutely suffer from hesitation due to the nature of the game and playing again. despite his mental toughness and experience, he's still human. and after this level of an injury, id bet money it would linger in the back of his mind at least at first. but who knows i could be wrong. either way I still think he should take this opportunity to think in the bigger picture and hang it up.

Would love to see it.

all of that to come back to the NFL where you probably wont be playing your best, and the time and work it would take just to re-acclimate yourself to the routine/gameday, everything.... all back on that leg. is it really worth it at this point? he should just do what's best for himself and hang it up, pocket that money.

He pockets less of that money if he retires and doesn't rehab on the Redskins' dime. He should use the resources being on the team offers him until the Redskins make a move, and no sooner.
Share 49ersWebzone