LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 134 users in the forums

Alex Smith and the Washington Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
i will agree to disagree respectfully with steve..i think of alex as a niner and not as a chief. i wonder if it will be sooner than later when we actually face this. are there any reports from the redskins how alex is doing. has he said anything in the media as of late that he is determined to come back or has he been quiet this off season?

#Redskins HC Jay Gruden says Alex Smith told him that he expects to get the external fixator off his leg in "about a month. "
11:11 AM - Jun 5, 2019
Dude.....idt he wants to retire.
Originally posted by MuggD:
This thread is always moving but I never look in here, until tonight. I read a couple posts.

Anyway, just wanted to randomly say my saddest Alex memory is when Singletary was all up in his toit ass scaring the living s**t out of him and the crowd started chanting the "we want carr" bit. As Alex is soaring terrible passes in a blowout loss on MNF. Felt really bad for dude right then. Glad he got to play under Harbs and then Andy Reid later and played well with them. kbye.

alex kind of bounced back in that game a bit though afterwards. even though we didn't win
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

dude is either a true competitor or in denial
I don't see Alex retiring in any jersey besides the Skins. With the way they paid him I don't think he'll have with a problem with that either.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Both.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
These are good points. However, my two cents is that Smith retires without re-joining any team. Rather, I expect that he will issue a press release praising all three teams that he played for so as not to hurt any feelings and because he's a class act.

I agree with you.

Regardless of how one may feel about him as a player, he was one guy who NEVER burned any bridges. He won't start by picking one team over the other two.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't see Alex retiring in any jersey besides the Skins. With the way they paid him I don't think he'll have with a problem with that either.

Does retirement have to be from a certain team?

For instance, there's a common misconception that players go into the hall of fame as part of a certain team -- totally not the case. All of the teams are listed when you look up players on their computer system.

So for retirement, I'm not so sure......you can obviously retire from a team the ceremonial way or even how Bowman did, but not sure every player has to officially declare their team, especially when they've played on more than one team.

I'm very curious to see how the Smith retirement goes down, team wise.
Originally posted by dj43:
Regardless of how one may feel about him as a player, he was one guy who NEVER burned any bridges. He won't start by picking one team over the other two.

Yep. My feeling about him as a player is irrelevant in forming my opinion of where he retires. I think he will retire and not go to any team to do it. But IF he was to choose a team to retire with, I see it being KC.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jun 6, 2019 at 9:58 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Does retirement have to be from a certain team?

For instance, there's a common misconception that players go into the hall of fame as part of a certain team -- totally not the case. All of the teams are listed when you look up players on their computer system.

So for retirement, I'm not so sure......you can obviously retire from a team the ceremonial way or even how Bowman did, but not sure every player has to officially declare their team, especially when they've played on more than one team.

I'm very curious to see how the Smith retirement goes down, team wise.

Some players sign a 1 day contract with their former team then retire and I think that's what someone was referring to. But in those cases it's like Thurman Thomas who was well over the hill when cut by Buffalo but still had the desire to play so ge signs a 1 year deal with a new squad. When that's over and he's officially done he then signs the ceremonial contract with Buffalo to retire as a Bill.

Alex's career essentially ended in a big contract. Washington has to pay portions of that even after he retires. They could cut him, he signs the 1 day deal but I don't see it happening.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 7, 2019 at 6:17 AM ]

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Both.

I am getting that vibe too. The choice might get made for him this season.

Dude is a beast. As we've discussed before, he's universally recognized as better than Cousins which was huge (outside of a few extreme views on here) which cemented his legacy. He can retire as a winning QB that had one of the biggest career turnarounds in human history. But dudes got heart. He'll keep battling. What a leader.
I have mixed feelings about Smiff but I definitely do not want to see him snap any more body parts ever again.
Sounds like without that contraption, he would be looking at amputation
Share 49ersWebzone