LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Alex Smith and the Washington Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
probably will end up a good high school coach and be happy . i hope they bring him back someday after he retires. heck let him retire as a niner. i think he would be very very warmly welcomed by the fans. i sure do appreciate all he did. he also did a good job getting involved in the community that he lived.. i remember how we spearheaded an effort to find a missing girl

I would be surprised if he retires as a 9er. 3 pro bowls and all with the Chiefs.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
probably will end up a good high school coach and be happy . i hope they bring him back someday after he retires. heck let him retire as a niner. i think he would be very very warmly welcomed by the fans. i sure do appreciate all he did. he also did a good job getting involved in the community that he lived.. i remember how we spearheaded an effort to find a missing girl

I would be surprised if he retires as a 9er. 3 pro bowls and all with the Chiefs.

Agreed. There is zero chance he retires a 49er.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I wouldn't be so sure... I think he will retire a 9er honestly.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

that is just the homerism in me!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:

i do to.

i do to.

No way. He got treated poorly by 3 different coaches here.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

i do to.

Well, thats debatable, but I dont foresee any reason why he would retire here. Only one of his seasons here was he deemed to be a plus season. Every other season was garbage or he was injured. Have to imagine he holds KC in much higher regard than SF.

I would be curious to hear why Waterbear and cc seem to think that he would retire here. Like what are your reasonings?

i do to.

Well, thats debatable, but I dont foresee any reason why he would retire here. Only one of his seasons here was he deemed to be a plus season. Every other season was garbage or he was injured. Have to imagine he holds KC in much higher regard than SF.

I would be curious to hear why Waterbear and cc seem to think that he would retire here. Like what are your reasonings?

1. He was drafted here
2. He played the most seasons here
3. He he got the fatherest in the playoffs here
4. Although he had many poor to average seasons here, we had faith in him more than the Chiefs ever did. (Chiefs traded up to draft his replacement three years into his career there)
5. His most iconic moment was here (the catch 3)
6. I'm guessing he made more friends here (Staley, Gore, etc.)

I'm not saying it's certain he will retire here, I'm saying I think there is a good chance he will.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Jun 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM ]

i do to.

1. He was drafted here
4. Although he had many poor to average seasons here, we had faith in him more than the Chiefs ever did. (Chiefs traded up to draft his replacement three years into his career there)

I'm not saying it's certain he will retire here, I'm saying I think there is a good chance he will.

These are good points. However, my two cents is that Smith retires without re-joining any team. Rather, I expect that he will issue a press release praising all three teams that he played for so as not to hurt any feelings and because he's a class act.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

stuff that does not show up on quik stats. i think he felt from the fans, maybe not a few here on the zone. lol.. true vindication in 2011. sure he has glitzy stats with the chiefs and even though it ended in not the best way for him here. as it has for many players.. i think at the end of the day. alex being a true professional will want to do it here. also during norvs year he was good. 2012 before he was hurt he was very good. now steve... if you simply do not like him as i suspect. then its worthless to try to discuss this with you on the pure merits of him retiring as a niner. because no matter what,. you most likely will have a negative counter to anything i or waterbear say

• cciowa
  • Veteran
1. He was drafted here

i should have just said this,, 3 is important to players
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
These are good points. However, my two cents is that Smith retires without re-joining any team. Rather, I expect that he will issue a press release praising all three teams that he played for so as not to hurt any feelings and because he's a class act.

you know.... i never thought of that. being the class person he is... that is something he would do!
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Maybe Smith will go the way of Jon Snow and just live a private life in Utah coaching high school..

Why would he go to Utah? He's from San Diego.

Coaching high school is fine and all, but recall: Alex is very, very smart. Finished college in like, 2.5 years. He may be able to find something "better" than just coaching ball. If I remember, he had a strong interest in economics and public policy. Additionally, even if we wants to coach, he may be able to skip a lot of the lower level stuff too. People talked about Peyton Manning instantly becoming an OC or head coach or GM or whatever. Not saying that would be objectively wise, but football IQ and general intelligence-wise, Alex is at or above Peyton in many respects.

Edit: to the point about him being honored by the team, he deserves a freakin' statue. He may indeed be the highest character, thickest-skinned player we've ever had. He went through so much and handled it just the way I'd want my kid to handle adversity.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Jun 5, 2019 at 8:33 AM ]
stuff that does not show up on quik stats. i think he felt from the fans, maybe not a few here on the zone. lol.. true vindication in 2011. sure he has glitzy stats with the chiefs and even though it ended in not the best way for him here. as it has for many players.. i think at the end of the day. alex being a true professional will want to do it here. also during norvs year he was good. 2012 before he was hurt he was very good. now steve... if you simply do not like him as i suspect. then its worthless to try to discuss this with you on the pure merits of him retiring as a niner. because no matter what,. you most likely will have a negative counter to anything i or waterbear say

Heres the thing cc. I dont dislike Alex as a person. Never have. Never rooted against him. I dont think he is very good, but that's about him as a player.

This discussion has nothing to do with the difference in how good of a player I think he is versus what you and waterbear think. I just dont think that Alex would choose to come back here to retire. He clearly had his best seasons in Kansas City. He clearly was never fully embraced as a QB for the 49ers. While he was drafted here and had arguably a couple good seasons, what he will be remembered for as far as legacy goes, happened mostly in a KC uniform. Most of Alex's time here was struggle. And I know waterbear said that he played his most seasons here, but he also played almost a full seasons worth more games in KC.

I dont know how well I am really arguing for the side of him not coming here to retire, but 949 actually put it perfectly. I dont see him going to any team and retiring. Those kind of retirements happen with players who have played with a team for the majority of their career and identify as THAT team.

When Frank Gore retires, he will be remembered as a Niner. When Jamaal Charles retired, he went back to KC to retire. Bowman as you know. When you hear those players names, you think of their team. If you asked a random NFL fan about his view on Alex Smith, I would be willing to bet that almost all of them identify Alex as a Chief.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i will agree to disagree respectfully with steve..i think of alex as a niner and not as a chief. i wonder if it will be sooner than later when we actually face this. are there any reports from the redskins how alex is doing. has he said anything in the media as of late that he is determined to come back or has he been quiet this off season?
Share 49ersWebzone