LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Alex Smith and the Washington Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by swayze:
Alex was the definition of average when it came to production, but imo he was well above average as a leader, and that also matters. I think it explains a lot about why he stuck around as a starting NFL QB even though he demonstrated year-in and year-out that he wasn't going to elevate a mediocre team with his play

average QB
above average leader
one of the most professional and classiest players you could ask for or ever want on your team

EXCELLENT post defender!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Alex was the definition of average when it came to production, but imo he was well above average as a leader, and that also matters. I think it explains a lot about why he stuck around as a starting NFL QB even though he demonstrated year-in and year-out that he wasn't going to elevate a mediocre team with his play

average QB
above average leader
one of the most professional and classiest players you could ask for or ever want on your team

EXCELLENT post defender!

Agreed for the most part. I just never understood why the 2nd two lines make the first line acceptable for his fans. I dont want an average QB as the QB of my team regardless of how good a leader and how classy he is.

To each his own I guess.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Feb 21, 2019 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:

average QB
above average leader

Average QB based on what? Rating? Eye test?

I think he was an above average QB. I'd actually say he is pretty good...because average QBs get tossed for cheaper younger ones...even if they're not quite as good. On that note, Alex may have been replaced twice while playing well, both times were by QBs expected to be superstars...by just about everyone.

Sure he won't see his name mentioned in the same sentence as Hall of fame. He's just not on the Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers level. And that's fine. I believe most people are just butt hurt for getting a guy that couldn't single-handedly with a bad coach and bad players turn our team around from the worst team in the league to a competitive one. But it would have taken one of the aforementioned QBS to have a chance at that. Frankly, I'm not sure that any one of them could have done it. Perhaps they'd have gotten Nolan fired sooner.

I do think he developed into a good leader. I don't think he was one until Harbaugh came around. I'm not saying that Harbaugh made him a good leader, but that situation gave him the opportunity to grow into one.

From the Harbaugh era through today I would say he has been just outside top 10. That is above average for all QBs, about average for FQBs.
He was a great leader for the 49ers.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Agreed for the most part. I just never understood why the 2nd two lines make the first line acceptable for his fans. I dont want an average QB as the QB of my team regardless of how good a leader and how classy he is.

To each his own I guess.
Because you are assuming that everyone else thinks he is average or worse. That was dispelled as recently as yesterday. It is ok for others to like him and wish him well. It is ok to ignore posts to that effect if they irk or trouble you.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
From the Harbaugh era through today I would say he has been just outside top 10. That is above average for all QBs, about average for FQBs.

Remember like four years ago you came in this thread and said something to the effect of "I can't believe you guys still post about Smith." You were shocked... now look at you

Smith sucked you into the vortex.
So do you guys think Smith was a good qb, or average? Not good? Would love to hear some thoughts on Smith...
Lol Sac is clearly on life support duty. Sometimes threads just run their course and die.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Remember like four years ago you came in this thread and said something to the effect of "I can't believe you guys still post about Smith." You were shocked... now look at you

Smith sucked you into the vortex.

It is still lame that he and Kap get so much attention.
So do you guys think Smith was a good qb, or average? Not good? Would love to hear some thoughts on Smith...

I thought you'd never ask. Well, let me say something definitive that I'm sure won't be controversial

• dj43

Everybody in the northern hemisphere has checked in on that...several times. I don't think we need a redux.

Just saying...

I thought you'd never ask. Well, let me say something definitive that I'm sure won't be controversial

Lol. Well played.

Nor as good as Kap but better than Garcia.

Garcia was a 3x Pro Bowler with us and led a prolific passing offense.

How was Smith better than that?

Not as good as Kap for a two year span. Overall career, Smith is way better.

Garcia and Smith are close. Time on the Niners, Garcia was better.

Overall career, Garcia was better than Kap. Kap's success was special, but a miniscule sample size. RG3 was good for a year also. Gotta have longevity to be better than Smith, and Garcia.
Share 49ersWebzone