LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Alex Smith and the Washington Redskins

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
I really hope he succeeds in Washington. I think he will, but he doesn't have near the supporting cast around him that he had in Kansas City, especially a defense. So...that will be interesting.

Bump. Nice to see someone talk about this season and not the past.

I expect Alex to go back to his game manager ways. They don't have KC' s weapons. Whether they can win is going to be on the run game/ d which Wsh needs to step up on both.

Agreed. So tired of the old repetitive BS.

I think we'll see a slightly more aggressive Smith than pre 2017, but not what we saw for the bulk of last season. He'll be somewhat tentative in a new system.
I really hope he succeeds in Washington. I think he will, but he doesn't have near the supporting cast around him that he had in Kansas City, especially a defense. So...that will be interesting.

I expect Alex to go back to his game manager ways. They don't have KC' s weapons. Whether they can win is going to be on the run game/ d which Wsh needs to step up on both.

Smith has been claimed he solely is the reason for any success especially KCs. Weapons is not an excuse

Originally posted by Jiks:
He turned a 2-14 team into a playoff team.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I think we'll see a slightly more aggressive Smith than pre 2017, but not what we saw for the bulk of last season. He'll be somewhat tentative in a new system.

Add me to the list of moving on from the past and looking to the future.

IMO, he'll do very well but his new team doesn't have the offensive fire-power that KC has.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Smith has been claimed he solely is the reason for any success especially KCs. Weapons is not an excuse

Meh I didn't mean it that way but you knew that. If you have to lie to make a point, your point sucks.

Whatever though. I'll just continue to stay out of this thread.
[ Edited by Jiks on Jul 21, 2018 at 1:01 PM ]

Meh I didn't mean it that way but you knew that. If you have to lie to make a point, your point sucks.

Don't let the trolls and haters get to you, Jiks. Just laugh at them with the rest of us as they make their straw man arguments.
  • Jiks
Don't let the trolls and haters get to you, Jiks. Just laugh at them with the rest of us as they make their straw man arguments.

Oh I don't. I just pop in sometimes and automatically remember why I don't post here anymore. There's nothing more to really be said.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by dj43:
Comparing the two good years Kaepernick had on a loaded team with decent coaching to any of the two years Smith on the 49ers is apples and oranges.

Alex's teams before 2011 were similar to Kap's teams 2014 on....

....And Kap played better in 2014 on than Alex did in pre-2011.

Alex's teams in 2011 and half of 2012 seasons were similar to Kap's teams in half of 2012 and 2013...

...And Kap played better in those 1.5 seasons than Alex did in those 1.5 seasons.

Apples to apples.

It really isnt until you compare Alex as a Chief to Kap as an unemployed social worker where Alex passes Kap in terms of accomplishments.

As a football fan, I have no problem admitting Alex will have the better NFL career in terms of longevity.

As a 49er fan, I have no problem admitting Kap was the better 49er.

To be honest, I dont have the slightest clue how one could say anything I just said was incorrect.

glad to see you have given up the charade of trying to sell the board that you are objective
[ Edited by Smith11 on Jul 21, 2018 at 4:21 PM ]

You wouldn't have said if you didn't mean it, it's your claim to fame.

I've predicted every outcome
Originally posted by HomerJ:
I could be wrong, but the bolded has been one of your top excuses for Kaps suckage.

Here's the difference, Kap "suckage" on bad teams is still outplaying Alex on great teams (2016) lol.

Alex suckage on bad teams never has and never will be decent. It's just bad. He will prove to be a Fitzpatrick/McCown type now without top offensive players/defenses carrying him.

Also agree. Smith will really miss Kelce but even more he will miss Hill. Hill is the first WR who had speed and the ability to adjust to the ball in the air at an elite level. He may be my favorite receiver in the NFL now. But...who are the receivers for DC? Hope they can elevate their game and it will be fascinating to see how they play with Smith versus knothead.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Also agree. Smith will really miss Kelce but even more he will miss Hill. Hill is the first WR who had speed and the ability to adjust to the ball in the air at an elite level. He may be my favorite receiver in the NFL now. But...who are the receivers for DC? Hope they can elevate their game and it will be fascinating to see how they play with Smith versus knothead.

jordan reed and vernon davis may approximate kelce and kc's 2nd best te

hill is unparelled in nfl but skins did pick up paul richardson, who has speed and caught some deep balls for seattle

jamison crowder is better than any slot receiver chiefs had (albert wilson)

chris thompson probably a bit better as pass catching rb than kareem hunt or spencer ware

the skins oline, if healthy, will be better than chiefs oline

wild card is josh doctson---going into 3rd year as a 1st rd pick, last year was essentially his rookie year as he was hurt most of year 1--if he plays like a 1st rounder skins offense may be more balanced than chiefs especially if derrius grice runs close to how kareem hunt did, if lacking the star power of chiefs playmakers

josh doctson may be the wild card
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Yes that is "jocking" lol. Dude was hot garbage for the majority of his time in 9er uni. I don't care what he accomplished with the Chiefs since I'm not a Chiefs fan. But 9er career Kap>>>Alex

Truth

Gotta give you credit, you frame your argument a lot better than the other Kap fanboys. Probably the best pro Kap post/anti Alex post in this thread and 49alt and Charlie have been posting everyday for 4 years. Good s**t

Lol, I'm not a kaep fan. But you're not good at recognizing that or other things as bay's post above. I will not fault you for that

I can't stand Kap and he was a one-trick pony who couldn't adjust after the league caught up 3 years later--BUT I have to say he did have the better 49ers career overall. Smith was nothing until 2011 and only had that year and half of 2012. Kap had 2012 and 2013 (before being s**tty 2014-2016).

So their time as a good player is comparable and in that time, Smith led the game-winner over the Saints but couldn't get it done when it mattered against NYG in the Championship game.

Kap led the team to the super bowl in 2012 and if it wasn't for a horrendous performance by the defense, they would have won. What further distinguishes them is that Kap single handedly won against GB in the playoffs that year and was down 17-0 to Atlanta in the blink of an eye. Smith doesn't win those games, plain and simple.

2013 they come back and nearly go to the Super Bowl again.

Smith is the better QB overall in terms of consistency and the ability to have several solid (if unspectacular) seasons since his 2011 ascension. Kap only had those 2 seasons, but he was light years better than Smith those 2 years.

That's my best summation of them.

Comparing the two good years Kaepernick had on a loaded team with decent coaching to any of the two years Smith on the 49ers is apples and oranges.

Was Smith not the starter during the 2011 season where we arguably had the best defense in the NFL? Was Smith the reason that team was so great? I don't understand how you don't consider that team stacked...

I think he made a very good post, and anyone who thinks that Smith was a better player than Kap during those 2 years, are just being homers. Smith has had the better career, and he's now obviously better, but Kap had 2 years here that were much better than any of Smith's years, including the year we went to the NFC championship with Smith as our QB.

Kap was the reason we beat GB in back to back years, and ATL at their home. Stacked team or not, Kap had amazing performances in those games. There was a reason why so many talking heads were calling him a future HOFer...His ability to run and throw like he did had nothing to do with a stacked team, he was playing like a top 5 QB during those 2 years.
Originally posted by Smith11:
jordan reed and vernon davis may approximate kelce and kc's 2nd best te

hill is unparelled in nfl but skins did pick up paul richardson, who has speed and caught some deep balls for seattle

jamison crowder is better than any slot receiver chiefs had (albert wilson)

chris thompson probably a bit better as pass catching rb than kareem hunt or spencer ware

the skins oline, if healthy, will be better than chiefs oline

wild card is josh doctson---going into 3rd year as a 1st rd pick, last year was essentially his rookie year as he was hurt most of year 1--if he plays like a 1st rounder skins offense may be more balanced than chiefs especially if derrius grice runs close to how kareem hunt did, if lacking the star power of chiefs playmakers

josh doctson may be the wild card

Thanks! I hadn't realized they picked up Richardson. Doctson has much to prove.
[ Edited by sacniner on Jul 22, 2018 at 9:00 PM ]
NM.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jul 23, 2018 at 9:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone