There are 222 users in the forums

Aqib Talib - CB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DaBum:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
So we'll pass on a guy who has made 5 straight pro bowls, was rated the #1 CB in 2016, the #13 CB in 2017, and if traded for he won't have any guaranteed money on our books over the next 2 seasons, while only costing the team $19 million? Seriously?

Crabtree is a diva and drama queen anyway, so I have no problem with Talib punking him cause he's always yapping. There is a reason Richard Sherman and multiple other DB's also can't stand the guy.

If anything it just makes me like Talib even more because he plays with an edge and that is something that is missing from this team. Our recent superbowl team was filled with edgy players. If your team is filled with teddy bears, good luck!

You aren't Lynch. Your personal biases don't affect 49ers moves. He has said multiple times he prioritizes a specific culture and players who have that type of character. Talib doesn't have that. With the abundance of CBs available I'd be shocked if they pursue him.

Foster also doesn't really fit that specific culture that Lynch talks about, yet we still drafted him because his talent outweighs all else.

Talib is also a much cheaper option than most of the FA's that will be worth a damn. As I said earlier, he's only going to cost $19 million over the next 2 seasons with zero guaranteed money if we trade a 7th rounder for him. That's a steal compared to what Johnson or Fuller will make on long-term contracts.

If Talib does anything dumb, we can cut him without hurting ourselves financially. I see him as a low risk option with high rewards if he continues to play at an all-pro level over the next two seasons.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Foster also doesn't really fit that specific culture that Lynch talks about, yet we still drafted him because his talent outweighs all else.

Talib is also a much cheaper option than most of the FA's that will be worth a damn. As I said earlier, he's only going to cost $19 million over the next 2 seasons with zero guaranteed money if we trade a 7th rounder for him. That's a steal compared to what Johnson or Fuller will make on long-term contracts.

If Talib does anything dumb, we can cut him without hurting ourselves financially. I see him as a low risk option with high rewards if he continues to play at an all-pro level over the next two seasons.

Have you read about us taking Foster? Lynch initially wasn't willing to draft him. He then was convinced to interview him extensively by scouts (I think it was them) and came away thinking he was a kid who made a mistake but had good character overall. Talib has proven for the past decade to be a top CB who repeatedly gets in his and his teams own way with mental miscues. He isn't a 21 year old kid.
To be fair, Talib doesn't get in trouble. His character issues that are being mentioned are really just on field emotional outbursts. Not that you want those but it's not like the guy shoots himself in the thigh. And there's a reason Belicheck likes him.
Would y'all do AA, Trent Taylor and a 3rd for Talib and Barrett?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

I don't want to give up a 3rd but I'd say yea if we are signing a slot guy in FA. Maybe Gabriel could come in and take Taylor's role.
sign him so he can punk Crabtree again next time we play him.
Originally posted by Dillesq:

I don't want to give up a 3rd but I'd say yea if we are signing a slot guy in FA. Maybe Gabriel could come in and take Taylor's role.

Yup.. Exactly what I thought about

I'd love to make that trade. We'd still have the a 3rd since we got one from the Bears.

I'd love to make that trade. We'd still have the a 3rd since we got one from the Bears.

Haha right. I like Trent a lot but if we can upgrade the position, i wouldn't be mad.

Haha right. I like Trent a lot but if we can upgrade the position, i wouldn't be mad.

I think they could use someone like Trent to pair with Sanders and Thomas. AA would give them someone they take a shot on after losing Jackson not too long ago.

I wonder if they would be interested in Jimmie Ward if say he restructures with them...Think they could use him too, Elway has had what seems a lot of misses so perhaps a trade like this could be so crazy it might just work ...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Talib is a cancer - I don't want him around our young players.

Originally posted by mayo49:

How exactly? His teammates don't ever speak bad of him. Dude has been one of the very best corners in football since he joined the league, yet a couple of y'all would pass on him because he punked Crabtree?

I repeat once again. If we trade a lowly 6th or 7th round pick for him, which is currently the speculated value because sources are saying the Broncos will be forced to release him if no one bites. Then we are on the hook for ZERO GUARANTEED MONEY and only $19 million in base salary over the next 2 seasons. We would get an elite CB that is only being moved because his current team can no longer afford him if they plan on upgrading their offense.

Compare that $19 million for Talib to the contracts guys like Johnson, Fuller, Butler and Breeland will command as free agents.

There is zero risk with trading for Talib.
Originally posted by mayo49:

How exactly? His teammates don't ever speak bad of him. Dude has been one of the very best corners in football since he joined the league, yet a couple of y'all would pass on him because he punked Crabtree?

I repeat once again. If we trade a lowly 6th or 7th round pick for him, which is currently the speculated value because sources are saying the Broncos will be forced to release him if no one bites. Then we are on the hook for ZERO GUARANTEED MONEY and only $19 million in base salary over the next 2 seasons. We would get an elite CB that is only being moved because his current team can no longer afford him if they plan on upgrading their offense.

Compare that $19 million for Talib to the contracts guys like Johnson, Fuller, Butler and Breeland will command as free agents.

There is zero risk with trading for Talib.

Exactly. He's never been a troublemaker. Players get in dust ups all The time. It doesn't make them cancers. And to be honest, players like Talib are needed in the locker room. You need guys who won't take s**t from anyone and builds that brotherhood aspect by going to bat for his brothers.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
To be fair, Talib doesn't get in trouble. His character issues that are being mentioned are really just on field emotional outbursts. Not that you want those but it's not like the guy shoots himself in the thigh. And there's a reason Belicheck likes him.

Exactly. He's never been a troublemaker. Players get in dust ups all The time. It doesn't make them cancers. And to be honest, players like Talib are needed in the locker room. You need guys who won't take s**t from anyone and builds that brotherhood aspect by going to bat for his brothers.

You guys should stop posting and read about him so you know what you are talking about.

1. Got in a fist fight at the rookie synopsis in 2008
2. Arrested and charged with battery and resisting arrest for punching a taxi driver in 2009
3. Arrested for shooting a gun at his sister's boyfriend in 2011
4. Called the police saying he was shot in the leg outside a club in 2016. Was charged with falsifying police report due to lying. He shot himself in the leg.

The guy has a laundry list of issues on and off the field. Lynch won't be interested.
Originally posted by DaBum:

You guys should stop posting and read about him so you know what you are talking about.

1. Got in a fist fight at the rookie synopsis in 2008
2. Arrested and charged with battery and resisting arrest for punching a taxi driver in 2009
3. Arrested for shooting a gun at his sister's boyfriend in 2011
4. Called the police saying he was shot in the leg outside a club in 2016. Was charged with falsifying police report due to lying. He shot himself in the leg.

The guy has a laundry list of issues on and off the field. Lynch won't be interested.

I already know about Talib's past and never claimed he was some saint. I defended him about him being a bad teammate because there is no truth to that. What I also said was he was worth the risk because the Broncos are the ones on the hook for his signing bonus, not us. That means we have him for 2 seasons and if he screws up we can release him with no financial implications.

If he keeps his nose clean we get an all-pro CB at one of our weakest positions. If he doesn't and does something stupid, we cut him and move on.

You also seem to ignore that most of his idiotic moments happened when he was around the same age that Foster is now. Up until his bs story about getting shot in 2016, he's completely kept his nose clean for years. We just need 2 seasons of him keeping it that way as we find someone younger to replace him at the end of his contract.
  • dj43
I like Trent a lot but if we can upgrade the position, i wouldn't be mad.
Taylor was one of the top rookie receivers last season even though much of the year was spent in an offense that was still trying to learn which end of the field to attack.

Upgrade would be fine but the only upgrade I can see would be Jarvis Landry and he will cost a bundle. There are several other places that need improvement more than slot receiver.
Share 49ersWebzone