LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Rashaan Melvin DB

Shop 49ers game tickets
I actually think the CB market will be down this year, with the depth in the draft. I think many teams will listen to the contract demands and say, "f**k it, I can get a plug and play starter on Day 2 this year."
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I actually think the CB market will be down this year, with the depth in the draft. I think many teams will listen to the contract demands and say, "f**k it, I can get a plug and play starter on Day 2 this year."

I agree. Personally, I don't think the FA corners are worth what they think they are and that includes Johnson. I'd welcome adding them but without breaking the bank. And yes I know we have a lot of cap room, doesn't mean we blow it on guys that aren't worth it
I don't think there is any way the Colts let this guy go after showing some promise this year!
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
I don't think there is any way the Colts let this guy go after showing some promise this year!

They may not have a choice. Unless they blow him away with an extension offer, I bet his agent is advising him to get paid in FA. Plus, the Colts are a train wreck. Luck's health is a big question mark and they'll mediocre on defense. He hasn't made any money in the NFL yet and this could be his one opportunity to secure a big contract with guaranteed money.
Originally posted by strickac:

They may not have a choice. Unless they blow him away with an extension offer, I bet his agent is advising him to get paid in FA. Plus, the Colts are a train wreck. Luck's health is a big question mark and they'll mediocre on defense. He hasn't made any money in the NFL yet and this could be his one opportunity to secure a big contract with guaranteed money.

Don't they have more cap space than us as of right now? And they don't really have any "must keep" guys. In fact, melvin is probably one of their priority re-signings so they would match any contract if they don't get him signed long term before FA.

Don't they have more cap space than us as of right now? And they don't really have any "must keep" guys. In fact, melvin is probably one of their priority re-signings so they would match any contract if they don't get him signed long term before FA.

He should be a priority for them. I don't think that stops him from hitting FA and listening to all offers.
I had my eyes set on this guy because I thought he could he an under the radar type FA signing at around $3 or 4$ mill per but man he seems to be getting a lot of buzz and I fear he will cost more like $5 or $6 mill per and at that point I'm not sure I want us getting into that bidding war. I like Melvin a lot but until this year he was a journeyman corner who had been cut by 3 different teams including New England, Belichick rarely cuts good players, especially DB's his biggest stength and passion.

If he is going to command more then $6 mill per I would rather spend the extra few mill per to get a guy like Fuller. I don't think we will getting into a bidding war for Trumaine Johnson. Something tells me though we may get lucky on a guy like Malcolm Butler and get him on a "prove it" incentive laden contract.

Also keep an eye out for Aaron Colvin. I think he could be a FA steal as his best football is still very much ahead of him.
Wonder what the transition tag cost is.
Colts GM Chris Ballard said they'll let the market dictate impending free agent CB Rashaan Melvin's price.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Colts GM Chris Ballard said they'll let the market dictate impending free agent CB Rashaan Melvin's price.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Nice.
Is this guy worthy of being a #1? Apparently last season was his only good season...

He should be a priority for them. I don't think that stops him from hitting FA and listening to all offers.

Totally agree on both points.

It would be stupid of him not to test the financial waters and establish a $$ benchmark for himself.

I'd like to see him in a Niner uniform if the price is right.
should be noted that he has had injury problems and will be 29 in october.

I do like the way he plays though. Looks like he has some really long arms and good timing to knock balls down. 13 passes defended is pretty darn good and alot of them are from him sticking his arms in from behind. Also has a couple of nice plays where his recovery speed was able to get him in way of the ball.

he is an outstanding 2nd tier free agent. He would be a 1st tier free agent IMO if he had two years. He has flashed in his career but was way too inconsistent and has been bitten my the injury bug a couple of times.
Meh, contract year wonder. Other than last he's done nothing. Looking for a big pay day before going back on IR for a career.
Share 49ersWebzone