There are 156 users in the forums

Rashaan Melvin DB

Shop 49ers game tickets
I doubt the Colts let him go without a fight. I think they'll try to keep Melvin and let Desir go. They drafted Quincy Wilson last year and probably want to pair him with Melvin.

They'll have to offer him a legit contract to keep him. What the number is, who knows, but $8M/yr wouldn't surprise me at all. If he would've played out the entire season he could've been looking at close to $10M.

He showed very well against some of the best WRs in football last year. He shut down Hopkins and Antonio Brown. GMs surely took notice. He'll get paid, even with his small sample size.

My wild guess: 4 yr, 32M (20M guaranteed)
Originally posted by strickac:
I doubt the Colts let him go without a fight. I think they'll try to keep Melvin and let Desir go. They drafted Quincy Wilson last year and probably want to pair him with Melvin.

They'll have to offer him a legit contract to keep him. What the number is, who knows, but $8M/yr wouldn't surprise me at all. If he would've played out the entire season he could've been looking at close to $10M.

He showed very well against some of the best WRs in football last year. He shut down Hopkins and Antonio Brown. GMs surely took notice. He'll get paid, even with his small sample size.

When did he shut down Hopkins ?

Yeah, there's a lot of CB's on the market, all with 600 snaps+, 26-28 years old, 6' or taller and PFF of 78 or higher. For reference, Ahkello Witherspoon was 81.1 with 660 snaps. $8M might be a tad too low but possible given how many are on the market.

NOTES - Highest Paid: Trumaine Johnson @ $16.7M; Elite = $12-$15M; High Quality = $9-$12M

PLAYER AGE FROM TO SNAPS STATUS PFF GRADE HT POS
Kyle Fuller CB 26 CHI TBD 1,017 UFA 84.3 6-194 RCB
Trumaine Johnson CB 28 LAR TBD 932 UFA 74.3 6-2-205 LCB
Rashaan Melvin CB 28 IND TBD 552 UFA 85.7 6-2-194 LCB; hand (I.R.)
Travis Carrie CB 28 OAK TBD 1,023 UFA 84.3 5-11-212 RCB; beat out Sean Smith
Bashaud Breeland CB 26 WAS TBD 856 UFA 79 6-194 LCB
E.J. Gaines CB 26 BUF TBD 654 UFA 85.9 5-11-194 RCB
Malcolm Butler CB 28 NE TBD 1,038 UFA 81 5-11-190 LCB
Prince Amukamara CB 29 CHI TBD 849 UFA 81.2 6-207 LCB
Aaron Colvin CB 26 JAX TBD 700 UFA 78.5 6-192 NCB
Nickell Robey-Coleman CB 26 LAR TBD 654 UFA 85.2 5-8-179 NCB
Ross Cockrell CB 27 NYG TBD 679 UFA 81.6 6-190 NCB
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 1, 2018 at 6:10 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, there's a lot of CB's on the market, all with 600 snaps+, 26-28 years old, 6' or taller and PFF of 78 or higher. For reference, Ahkello Witherspoon was 81.1 with 660 snaps. $8M might be a tad too low but possible given how many are on the market.

NOTES - Highest Paid: Trumaine Johnson @ $16.7M; Elite = $12-$15M; High Quality = $9-$12M

[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 1, 2018 at 7:04 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Bless me father..
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Any thoughts on going after him?

he's 6-2 195 and played pretty damn well this yr for the Colts. In his 10 games as a starter he had 13 PBU and 3 INTs. His game vs Antonio brown was pretty impressive, he shadowed him most of that day and he only allowed 2 catches for 42 yards when on him.

He's 28 so I think something like a 3 yr deal would be something he's looking at. He would be much much much cheaper than guys like Johnson/Butler/Fuller.

Yep, I can agree with this guy, plus a draftee to seal the LCB position up.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Any thoughts on going after him?

he's 6-2 195 and played pretty damn well this yr for the Colts. In his 10 games as a starter he had 13 PBU and 3 INTs. His game vs Antonio brown was pretty impressive, he shadowed him most of that day and he only allowed 2 catches for 42 yards when on him.

He's 28 so I think something like a 3 yr deal would be something he's looking at. He would be much much much cheaper than guys like Johnson/Butler/Fuller.

Yep, I can agree with this guy, plus a draftee to seal the LCB position up.

Works for me
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

First matchup. Don't think either played in the second game. In the first, Hopkins finished with 6 receptions, 86 yds and a TDs. Melvin had him for most of the game (46 pass plays) and only gave up 1 rec for 10 yds, and 1 PBU.

- The Indianapolis Colts got another huge performance from cornerback Rashaan Melvin, helping fuel them to a road win over division-rival Houston. With Monday night's game still to play, his grade was good enough for the second-highest game grade of the week for a cornerback at 85.3, and Melvin has put up three games with a grade of 85.0 or higher this season.

- Tasked with covering DeAndre Hopkins for most of the game, Melvin only gave up one reception on five targets into his coverage totaling a passer rating against of just 39.6. On top of his sticky coverage, Melvin also contributed a pass deflection and a stop.

- Through nine regular season games, Melvin has been one of the best cornerbacks this season. His 8.8 overall grade ranks fifth among corners. His ability to make plays on the ball has been topped by only one other corner as he's produced a playmaker index of 24.5 percent.
[ Edited by strickac on Feb 5, 2018 at 2:21 AM ]

First matchup. Don't think either played in the second game. In the first, Hopkins finished with 6 receptions, 86 yds and a TDs. Melvin had him for most of the game (46 pass plays) and only gave up 1 rec for 10 yds, and 1 PBU.

- The Indianapolis Colts got another huge performance from cornerback Rashaan Melvin, helping fuel them to a road win over division-rival Houston. With Monday night's game still to play, his grade was good enough for the second-highest game grade of the week for a cornerback at 85.3, and Melvin has put up three games with a grade of 85.0 or higher this season.

- Tasked with covering DeAndre Hopkins for most of the game, Melvin only gave up one reception on five targets into his coverage totaling a passer rating against of just 39.6. On top of his sticky coverage, Melvin also contributed a pass deflection and a stop.

- Through nine regular season games, Melvin has been one of the best cornerbacks this season. His 8.8 overall grade ranks fifth among corners. His ability to make plays on the ball has been topped by only one other corner as he's produced a playmaker index of 24.5 percent.

Nice. I'm definitely intrigued. Hopkins is a bad boy. They don't have a QB doe.

Wow, super impressive. Nobody shuts down Hopkins.

Got full confidence in our staff that they'll kick those tires.

Wow, super impressive. Nobody shuts down Hopkins.

Got full confidence in our staff that they'll kick those tires.

I wonder if he'll cost more than 7-8 mill. Right now you'd think Melvin along with Fuller and Breeland will all be around there. Think Breeland is worth maybe an additional 1-1.5 mill.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:51 PM ]
I wonder if he'll cost more than 7-8 mill. Right now you'd think Melvin along with Fuller and Breeland will all be around there. Think Breeland is worth maybe an additional 1-1.5 mill.

Hard to say. 8M would be just inside the top-20 highest paid CBs. Joe Hayden signed for 9M this year.

If all these CBs hit free agency it'll help the market. Bouye has his breakout season and got 13.5M with a handful of teams bidding for him. Melvin could possibly get closer to 10M depending on the interest, which would put him on he fringe of top-10 CB money. I think that's a little steep, but possible in FA.

Fuller and Breeland are in the same boat. All these guys will be reaching for 10M/yr. There's always a team or three willing to overpay.

Most likely will if he really is that good. I'm sure our guys have already seen all his tape and determined what he's worth.

Hard to say. 8M would be just inside the top-20 highest paid CBs. Joe Hayden signed for 9M this year.

If all these CBs hit free agency it'll help the market. Bouye has his breakout season and got 13.5M with a handful of teams bidding for him. Melvin could possibly get closer to 10M depending on the interest, which would put him on he fringe of top-10 CB money. I think that's a little steep, but possible in FA.

Fuller and Breeland are in the same boat. All these guys will be reaching for 10M/yr. There's always a team or three willing to overpay.

Think you nailed it.

My guesses..

Tru 13.5-14 due to having a low key down and up year.

Breeland and Melvin 9.5-11

Fuller about 9ish .

Most likely will if he really is that good. I'm sure our guys have already seen all his tape and determined what he's worth.

See my reply above. Oh yeah but you know how the market can screw you a lil along with supply and demand lol.
Share 49ersWebzone