There are 172 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Both. Browns are a s**t show right now. They'll have to get some semblance of know how and positive direction in that front office before a respected coach will touch that team. They'll ride with Hue for a bit longer more out of lack of options than anything.

Jeff Fisher is rarin' to go. With his level of desperation, I think he would take the job too.

its perfect. Browns fans at this point will take mediocrity if they can get it lol.
One guy that is flying under the radar, who could be a serious candidate, even in 2018 is Matt LaFleur, the current OC for the Rams. He's worked under Mike and Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Sean McVay. I could see his background being intriguing to several teams.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Browns fired VP Sashi Brown. Can't see Hue staying much longer. Don't know what HC will want to go there either.

Browns tried to think outside the box and went too far outside the box. You hire an attorney and a guy with a baseball management background to lead your football front office and operations and it's no wonder they've only won one game the last two seasons combined. They need to bring some real football people in and give them the time and resources to fix that mess.

Hue Jackson part of the problem too. So much overrated when he got hired from the Bengals. You look at his offensive resume, he was never more than your average NFL OC. Was able to put up a good offensive year with very good talent. Failed miserably the way he handled the qb position from lack of drafting to the carousel of them during the season.

Not sure Wentz would have been successful with the Browns as he is in Philly. The Browns— where talent goes to die.

I don't think Hue is a bad coach. He's been able to get better play from a select group of players then others after him. He also tends to earn respect from his players and they generally play hard for him. He's no different than anyone else. You need talent to be successful. Look at Bill Musgrave this year from last. Dude looked like a QB whisperer when he was developing David Carr. Now look at the horde of failures in Denver under his guidance this season.

I do think there are better coaches out there than Hue but none of them are going to touch the dysfunction that is the browns until they can get that front office fixed. Until that time, they'll have no choice but to ride or die with Hue Jackson or a young candidate desperate for his shot.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 7, 2017 at 8:58 AM ]
One guy that is flying under the radar, who could be a serious candidate, even in 2018 is Matt LaFleur, the current OC for the Rams. He's worked under Mike and Kyle Shanahan, Gary Kubiak and Sean McVay. I could see his background being intriguing to several teams.

I'm more worried about Adam Peters. Seems like that guy is on a fast track to be a GM somewhere.
Completely agree with the Peters comments, hopefully we can give him a title/role that is similar to a GM and make Lynch a VP type???
Browns fired VP Sashi Brown. Can't see Hue staying much longer. Don't know what HC will want to go there either.

Browns tried to think outside the box and went too far outside the box. You hire an attorney and a guy with a baseball management background to lead your football front office and operations and it's no wonder they've only won one game the last two seasons combined. They need to bring some real football people in and give them the time and resources to fix that mess.

Hue Jackson part of the problem too. So much overrated when he got hired from the Bengals. You look at his offensive resume, he was never more than your average NFL OC. Was able to put up a good offensive year with very good talent. Failed miserably the way he handled the qb position from lack of drafting to the carousel of them during the season.

Not sure Wentz would have been successful with the Browns as he is in Philly. The Browns— where talent goes to die.

I don't think Hue is a bad coach. He's been able to get better play from a select group of players then others after him. He also tends to earn respect from his players and they generally play hard for him. He's no different than anyone else. You need talent to be successful. Look at Bill Musgrave this year from last. Dude looked like a QB whisperer when he was developing David Carr. Now look at the horde of failures in Denver under his guidance this season.

I do think there are better coaches out there than Hue but none of them are going to touch the dysfunction that is the browns until they can get that front office fixed. Until that time, they'll have no choice but to ride or die with Hue Jackson.

yeah Hue Jackson is gonna be their scape goat, if I were him, I would rather go back to being OC than put up with the Browns.
Originally posted by LININER49:
Completely agree with the Peters comments, hopefully we can give him a title/role that is similar to a GM and make Lynch a VP type???

i feel as if its inevitable, we give Peters the GM title and Lynch a VP or president title.

I do think there are better coaches out there than Hue but none of them are going to touch the dysfunction that is the browns until they can get that front office fixed. Until that time, they'll have no choice but to ride or die with Hue Jackson or a young candidate desperate for his shot.

Not even remotely a Browns fan, yet I died a little bit just reading that.

Lol. 49er fans can attest to how this feels. We we're very lucky to get Kyle Shanahan. It took an unconventional contract and a little more say in personnel matters but hey you take it however you can get it fresh off Tomsula and Chip Kelly. Even after all that as long as the browns are around, you can always say it could be worse.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 7, 2017 at 9:07 AM ]
Both. Browns are a s**t show right now. They'll have to get some semblance of know how and positive direction in that front office before a respected coach will touch that team. They'll ride with Hue for a bit longer more out of lack of options than anything.

Jeff Fisher is rarin' to go. With his level of desperation, I think he would take the job too.

He's already at Haslam's doorstep.

"I can give you what no other has ever given you Jimmy...6-8 wins and a s**tload of I formations."
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 7, 2017 at 9:20 AM ]

Hey Browns Baalke is available!
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

LOL that's what someone else suggested over on Niners nation. In so many words "wouldn't it be hilarious if the next thing we see 'Breaking news: The Cleveland Browns have hired Trent Baalke as general manager '" (Facepalm is optional but should be added if this was actually tweeted out.)
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
As long as Jimmy and Dee Haslam continue to be hands-on owners, Browns fans are f**ked. It makes absolutely no sense to fire a GM, not even 2 years into his tenure, but keep the head coach.

Say what you want about Jed being inept, terrible at his job, fat, etc. he at least lets the football people do their jobs without any interference.

One rumor I've read, is that Haslam would go after Peyton Manning to be a senior VP (something he's said to be interested in).
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

LOL that's what someone else suggested over on Niners nation. In so many words "wouldn't it be hilarious if the next thing we see 'Breaking news: The Cleveland Browns have hired Trent Baalke as general manager '" (Facepalm is optional but should be added if this was actually tweeted out.)

Cleveland could spin it as "Browns Hire Former Executive of the Year!"
I'm not worried about Peters taking the Browns job or getting the Giants job. I think he's a promising enough candidate to pass on the Browns given the ownership and talent situation. I believe the Giants are going to get a high profile executive like DeCosta from Baltimore or Caserio from the Patriots - they don't want an inexperienced GM running the organization. I think he would be more likely to leave for a middle of the road organization.

I think it's premature to promote Lynch and Peters. I know we're moving in the right direction but I think it sends the wrong message to give that kind of a promotion after a losing season.
Share 49ersWebzone