There are 141 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
That's what Phoenix has been saying all off-season. Gah I hate giving him credit

I tried to research a bit into what his actual role is with the team and best I've been able to figure out is that he's some sort of RB's coach/run game manager/quasi motivational speaker.

He doesn't call the plays. Reid does that. He isn't even involved in a large portion of the gameplanning, that is Reid and Kafka. I don't know what any team is supposed to make of that. There's as much logic for hiring Bieniemy as there is for hiring Pete Carmichael, the Saints offensive coordinator and no one is upset that Carmichael doesn't have a HC job despite having been the non-playcalling OC for one of the top offenses in the NFL for a decade.

Maybe EB will turn out to be a good head coach someday but with Pederson just being fired and Nagy being on the very hot seat in Chicago, with both of them having fulfilled the same role for Reid previously, its real easy to see why teams might be hesitant considering the coach and the offensive talent on that roster.

There's a media push (fueled by Florio) for EB to land a job to combat low minority head coaches in the league. Lewis, Jackson, Joseph, Caldwell, Lynn, and Wilks are no longer HCs in the league - a massive purge as Rivera (CAR -> WFT) and Flores are the only main changes recently.

And outside of Saleh, there isn't a minority candidate that's heavily favored to get a NFL HC job in this cycle. EB is the main new one, otherwise Caldwell, Lewis, Bowles, and Morris are re-treads.

However, you are right to point out the legitimate concerns of EB's credentials. Additionally, PR is playing a bigger role in these hires. EB has a checkered history (rape scandal in CO, DUI, harassment). Teams are willing to overlook these items if the candidate is a game changer. However, credentials + PR is the likely culprit of the low interest.
Originally posted by GEEK:
There's a media push (fueled by Florio) for EB to land a job to combat low minority head coaches in the league. Lewis, Jackson, Joseph, Caldwell, Lynn, and Wilks are no longer HCs in the league - a massive purge as Rivera (CAR -> WFT) and Flores are the only main changes recently.

And outside of Saleh, there isn't a minority candidate that's heavily favored to get a NFL HC job in this cycle. EB is the main new one, otherwise Caldwell, Lewis, Bowles, and Morris are re-treads.

However, you are right to point out the legitimate concerns of EB's credentials. Additionally, PR is playing a bigger role in these hires. EB has a checkered history (rape scandal in CO, DUI, harassment). Teams are willing to overlook these items if the candidate is a game changer. However, credentials + PR is the likely culprit of the low interest.

I think if Bieniemy wants to up his odds of getting a HC gig, he should do what Gase did and go be an OC somewhere else for a year or two, hopefully at a team where he's given full playcalling responsibility. No better way to prove that you've got the goods then to run a top offense and there will be plenty of open OC positions coming up.
Originally posted by GEEK:

I think if Bieniemy wants to up his odds of getting a HC gig, he should do what Gase did and go be an OC somewhere else for a year or two, hopefully at a team where he's given full playcalling responsibility. No better way to prove that you've got the goods then to run a top offense and there will be plenty of open OC positions coming up.

This! I think some are concerned Reid is still the driving force behind the offense. If he goes someplace else and has success, then he can show he's ready and can stand on his own two feet.

Lol! So close.....

sounds like it's a done deal.
Originally posted by English:

Lol! So close.....

lol and we had a certain someone in here that wished we'd build our team like the Bears did think there's an actual thread...we all got bad takes every once in a while

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Feel like that will get the ball rolling on other hirings

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I think this has been the most sure hire since it broke that they wanted him.

Yes!
Originally posted by btthepunk:

What do you think...2 yrs before he retires again? I would hate the hire if I was the Jags.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

What do you think...2 yrs before he retires again? I would hate the hire if I was the Jags.

Me too. He's way too unreliable. Like twice as bad as Kubiak in that regard.

upgrades lol? Doubt he's there long enough for the upgrades to be done
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 14, 2021 at 7:03 AM ]
Share 49erswebzone