LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

DL Sheldon Day

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Stud:
Day was a stud at Notre Dame along side Jaylon Smith. Hope Day can produce like that with us this year.

+1.
I dont know how the hell he slipped all the way to the 4th round.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Actually they can't, Day isn't allowed to sign a new deal until after 2018.

Sorry not following here...they can drop AA's 5th yr deal (if he passes a physical in March) then that cash could go towards Day/Buckner no?

Correct I read it as if they wanted to extend Day now which isn't allowed
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Actually they can't, Day isn't allowed to sign a new deal until after 2018.

Sorry not following here...they can drop AA's 5th yr deal (if he passes a physical in March) then that cash could go towards Day/Buckner no?

Correct I read it as if they wanted to extend Day now which isn't allowed

Ohhhh, yeah no...I was talking about after this season
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Wonder if we bring Elvis back to ensure one guy produces 7-8 this year. Elvis could possibly Do a little better this year with better coverage. But the "better" coverage is yet to be determined.

I'm sure he's on speed dial in case Attaochu, Marsh and Pita aren't looking too hot.

Truth!
Another guy is having a strong camp TC is Sheldon Day who was real solid when we picked him up off waivers from Jacksonville mid-season last year . A early 4th Rd pick from ND, he makes a very solid backup DT, but he can also play a little big end with Armstead out as he saw some action at DE at the Senior Bowl (Game and practices) I'm going to try to find that film
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Another guy is having a strong camp TC is Sheldon Day who was real solid when we picked him up off waivers from Jacksonville mid-season last year . A early 4th Rd pick from ND, he makes a very solid backup DT, but he can also play a little big end with Armstead out as he saw some action at DE at the Senior Bowl (Game and practices) I'm going to try to find that film

"Best 11" ~ Saleh
Really solid player. Great depth guy. Depth guys you need on playoff teams
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
It's going to be hard for Earl Mitchell to hold off this kid.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by thl408:
Day took DJJones' spot in the active lineup as soon as Day was acquired. I think his ability to play NT and 3t adds good value. I'm hoping DJJones can beat out Mitchell this camp and the 49ers roll with the two youngsters as the DT rotation (Day, Jones).

Lot of big, young, quick guys inside!

All we need a and Edge Rusher to bring it all together

You got that right!
Wonder if we bring Elvis back to ensure one guy produces 7-8 this year. Elvis could possibly Do a little better this year with better coverage. But the "better" coverage is yet to be determined.

The coverage is guaranteed to be better without DJ back there. A traffic cone would have been an upgrade. At least the cone might have caused someone to trip and wouldn't get all those penalties.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Different DT spots and diff players. Day is Buckner's backup and he can also play some big end. He's not a two gapper like Mitchell. Mitchell though may have a hard time holding of the D.J Jones kid who looks like a promising player

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Different DT spots and diff players. Day is Buckner's backup and he can also play some big end. He's not a two gapper like Mitchell. Mitchell though may have a hard time holding of the D.J Jones kid who looks like a promising player

Looking forward to seeing this guy play against the Colts and hopefully keep Buckner at Elephant/LEO if Buckner does well as an edge rusher.
Watching the highlite reel of Both Day and DJ, it sure seems they are not just rotational players, but two guys i would love to see start.

DeFo/ DJ / Day. / Solomon...and when you have a rotational player like Julian...plus Mitch, and here AA would really be nice to see him return in good health. Our 1 best unit last yr was DL, and that included a very good rotation. This yr...looks to be even better. Just no ER but maybe, it works anyway. Assuming we get up on the Colts (or whoever), it sounds like Saleh is thinking going big nickel , even on 1st down.

Hey Stub, you probably already know this, but Day played a lot of NT the last 1/4 of the season (as well as 3T). This is because we run a one-gap-attack.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 25, 2018 at 8:18 AM ]
I know Mitchell could be a potential cut, but I like the idea of the following active each sunday

Thomas-Mitchell-Buckner-AA
Marsh-Jones-Day-Taylor
Attaochu(If he makes it, I won't let one game define him)

Of those, Thomas, Buck, Jones, Day and Taylor all have a shot long term, same goes for Blair, and Kentavius Street, we could have a very nice, young and athletic, and versatile DL in the future.
I know Mitchell could be a potential cut, but I like the idea of the following active each sunday

Thomas-Mitchell-Buckner-AA
Marsh-Jones-Day-Taylor
Attaochu(If he makes it, I won't let one game define him)

Of those, Thomas, Buck, Jones, Day and Taylor all have a shot long term, same goes for Blair, and Kentavius Street, we could have a very nice, young and athletic, and versatile DL in the future.

I could see that AB. I wouldn't be upset if we retained Mitchell...just would hate to take snaps away from Jones and Day. But perhaps the goal is to ease Jones into the starting NT spot by mid/end-of-the-season? He's clearly ready.
Share 49ersWebzone