LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tankle104:
The guy jeopardized his own health for the potential benefit of us. I'm not angry at all. I feel bad. He took a chance for us and it didn't work out. I hope it doesn't screw him over

voice of reason post

2 years in a row now he did it
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
These last two pages have been comical. Faithful, per usual, you are completely missing the point. NO one is saying that the Raiders should have not done a physical. But if Jimmy's camp was up front that he was likely to fail the physical, they wouldnt have done it at that time....which means there would have been no press conference to delay. 49ATT is correct. Physicals get delayed ATT (hehe). Teams wont give a guy a physical if they know he is going to fail it. They figure something out.

SWH, you are not understanding the convo. You assume, without evidence, that JG camp was not up front. Show the evidence.

Furthermore, you assume that JG was duplicitous, or knew the foot had a problem (likely to fail the physical). Again, read Florio, before donning the conspiracy hat. Two sets of docs, can look at the same foot, and see two different things. He was told not to get surg in December, this was reported. Let is heal, without surg, was his plan up to the Raiders getting involved, from all available evidence.

First of all, I am understanding just fine.

Secondly, everyone in this conversation (INCLUDING you), is assuming one way or another. You are assuming that Jimmy and his camp were totally honest, and I am assuming they were not. But lets look at what we know logically. What we know is Jimmy didnt have surgery, he agreed to a contract, the Raiders gave him a physical which he failed, they delayed the previously announced introductory press conference and then the two sides reworked the contract.

Which makes more sense, Jimmy's camp was up front about everything and the timeline I just laid out was just what it is? Or that the Raiders were completely blindsided by the failed physical and thats why everything played out the way it did? Which sounds more logical?

I think its pretty easy to conclude that the Raiders were NOT given all the information up front. You dont delay announced press conferences and completely renegotiate a contract that was agreed upon if they were fully aware of everything from the jump.

Its funny you brought up Correa as if it helps not hurts your argument. The Giants found something in the physical, just like the Raiders did.

Secondly, everyone in this conversation (INCLUDING you), is assuming one way or another. You are assuming that Jimmy and his camp were totally honest, and I am assuming they were not. But lets look at what we know logically. What we know is Jimmy didnt have surgery, he agreed to a contract, the Raiders gave him a physical which he failed, they delayed the previously announced introductory press conference and then the two sides reworked the contract.

Which makes more sense, Jimmy's camp was up front about everything and the timeline I just laid out was just what it is? Or that the Raiders were completely blindsided by the failed physical and thats why everything played out the way it did? Which sounds more logical?

I think its pretty easy to conclude that the Raiders were NOT given all the information up front. You dont delay announced press conferences and completely renegotiate a contract that was agreed upon if they were fully aware of everything from the jump.

Its funny you brought up Correa as if it helps not hurts your argument. The Giants found something in the physical, just like the Raiders did.

Exactly right.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I got a good laugh at "wouldn't have been a physical needed" as well lol. But that said, this seems a little fishy on Jimmy's part. Can't imagine all of his docs were saying "yeah man, your foot is great, no surgery needed" in December, January, February. By waiting until after he signed a contract, he allowed himself to get more potential money.

Although him agreeing to move all bonus money to 2023 salary money (which he only gets if he passes a physical), kind of blows up the theory that he was hiding something.

For me, this isnt a "wouldnt have been a physical needed" as much as a "we arent going to give a guy a physical when everyone clearly knows he isnt going to pass it right now." Teams push physicals all the time. Or they negotiate terms up front in regards to passing a future physical. You are right. This seems fishy to everyone but one poster.

I think he agreed to move all the bonus money to 2023 salary because he didnt have a choice, more than it blows up the theory he was hiding something.
Yeah, dude, Vegas didn't pass him on the physical. You act like he pulled one over on Vegas, and got his money, then checked into surg. That's not at all what reality is here. Vegas wants him, with a surgically repaired foot. He agreed to surg, to play as QB1 for Vegas. End of story.

That's not what happened because the doctors caught it. You do the physical to make sure what the player is telling you about his health is correct. They changed his deal because what Yee told them wasn't correct.
I got a good laugh at "wouldn't have been a physical needed" as well lol. But that said, this seems a little fishy on Jimmy's part. Can't imagine all of his docs were saying "yeah man, your foot is great, no surgery needed" in December, January, February. By waiting until after he signed a contract, he allowed himself to get more potential money.

Although him agreeing to move all bonus money to 2023 salary money (which he only gets if he passes a physical), kind of blows up the theory that he was hiding something.

For me, this isnt a "wouldnt have been a physical needed" as much as a "we arent going to give a guy a physical when everyone clearly knows he isnt going to pass it right now." Teams push physicals all the time. Or they negotiate terms up front in regards to passing a future physical. You are right. This seems fishy to everyone but one poster.

I think he agreed to move all the bonus money to 2023 salary because he didnt have a choice, more than it blows up the theory he was hiding something.

Of course he had a choice, a choice of returning to FA
These last two pages have been comical. Faithful, per usual, you are completely missing the point. NO one is saying that the Raiders should have not done a physical. But if Jimmy's camp was up front that he was likely to fail the physical, they wouldnt have done it at that time....which means there would have been no press conference to delay. 49ATT is correct. Physicals get delayed ATT (hehe). Teams wont give a guy a physical if they know he is going to fail it. They figure something out.

SWH, you are not understanding the convo. You assume, without evidence, that JG camp was not up front. Show the evidence.

Furthermore, you assume that JG was duplicitous, or knew the foot had a problem (likely to fail the physical). Again, read Florio, before donning the conspiracy hat. Two sets of docs, can look at the same foot, and see two different things. He was told not to get surg in December, this was reported. Let is heal, without surg, was his plan up to the Raiders getting involved, from all available evidence.

I'm not assuming he is totally honest.. I'm just not assuming he's trying to pass a foot injury, which happened on live tv in front of the world, and kept him out for the year, as i'll try to sneak it past Vegas.. that's absurd on it's face. Heck we played Vegas, pretty sure with JG not dressed for the game. They know all about the foot, and surely would want to look at it. And you call this 'completely blindsided'.

Completely BS maybe. I think if you're gonna make claims, that so and so is acting in a duplicitous manner, show the evidence. Otherwise I gotta go with the evidence at hand, which is reported that docs told him in December, let it heal without surg.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

What I'm saying is if he knew he needed surgery in January, then he would obviously know that he was going to fail a physical. So it doesn't make sense to sign a contract only to basically give back the signing bonus and jeopardize the entire contract. I agree he wasn't 100% honest with the Raiders about his situation, but no player really is. They are all making it seem as if they're 100% healthy when negotiating a contract. Let's not pretend Jimmy is the only player to ever try this lol.
What I'm saying is if he knew he needed surgery in January, then he would obviously know that he was going to fail a physical. So it doesn't make sense to sign a contract only to basically give back the signing bonus and jeopardize the entire contract. I agree he wasn't 100% honest with the Raiders about his situation, but no player really is. They are all making it seem as if they're 100% healthy when negotiating a contract. Let's not pretend Jimmy is the only player to ever try this lol.

Absolutely. He's not.

But that is what they were attempting.
It's fun to go back and look at all the "experts" voicing their enthusiasm over JG in 2017. He was going to be our franchise QB for 10 years. It didn't take long or the enthusiasm to wain when one injury after another started piling up. In between we saw some good but never eally great play from Jimmy.

I only bring this up because we're seeing similar enthusiasm for Brock after his 7 starts and one serious injury.

Curb your enthusiasm.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It's fun to go back and look at all the "experts" voicing their enthusiasm over JG in 2017. He was going to be our franchise QB for 10 years. It didn't take long or the enthusiasm to wain when one injury after another started piling up. In between we saw some good but never eally great play from Jimmy.

I only bring this up because we're seeing similar enthusiasm for Brock after his 7 starts and one serious injury.

Curb your enthusiasm.

True, but IMO Purdy has a lot of the traits we didn't see from Jimmy, especially post 2018 ACL tear.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Curb your enthusiasm.

True, but the difference IMO is the two playoff wins Purdy started. Not to mention Purdy was the last pick of the draft, which we were reminded of game after game.

Curb your enthusiasm.
Fun? Just give me a GD QB !!
This is from Silver and Black pride:

It's probably not a big deal:

Yes, this was jarring news. It's completely unusual that news breaks two months after a major signing that the deal could still blow up and it's particularly unusual that it is happening at the most important position in all of sports. But this is really all about an insurance policy of sorts. Las Vegas expects the Garoppolo timeline to be that he'll be ready for training camp. If the Raiders thought this was a year-long issue they wouldn't have proceeded with the contract. So, yes, the worst-case scenario is that the Raiders decide that they have to move on from Garoppolo, but that seems unlikely. So, this whole waiver issue will likely become moot.
Share 49ersWebzone