LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 336 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Bummer we were so close to winning one the last couple years, but it is what it is.

I think Jimmy G. and the Raiders will do well together (if Jimmy stays healthy). Jimmy is exactly the type of locker room leader that you need--he leads by example and professionalism. He's a tone-setter and a culture-setter for a team, and when you have guys like that... it's why Shanahan's 49er teams always progressively got better in-season, because guys were constantly grinding and improving. He has his weaknesses, but he's accurate in the short/intermediate, and he can read coverages and move the chains. I wouldn't say they'll be an explosive offense, but they'll be solid if Jimmy can continue to cut down on turnovers.

I'm not sure Jimmy can win a Super Bowl without a good offensive cast, and a stacked defense, like he had here. I think the Raiders can have a good offense with Jimmy/McDaniels. But that defense has been bad for the last couple years. It's just hard because they play in the same division as the Chiefs and Chargers. My prediction is, at worst, they win 8 games, and at best... 11 games. I think they can get to the Wild Card, but I don't see them making it past the AFC juggernauts in the Divisional (Chiefs, Bengals, Bills).

So are you giving Jimmy ALL of the credit for the Niners having this type of culture? Are you saying NONE of the other players helped set the culture for the team? I mean I agree that Jimmy was absolutely the biggest factor, but I'm going to spend the next three days arguing with you that it's less than 100%.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Bummer we were so close to winning one the last couple years, but it is what it is.

I think Jimmy G. and the Raiders will do well together (if Jimmy stays healthy). Jimmy is exactly the type of locker room leader that you need--he leads by example and professionalism. He's a tone-setter and a culture-setter for a team, and when you have guys like that... it's why Shanahan's 49er teams always progressively got better in-season, because guys were constantly grinding and improving. He has his weaknesses, but he's accurate in the short/intermediate, and he can read coverages and move the chains. I wouldn't say they'll be an explosive offense, but they'll be solid if Jimmy can continue to cut down on turnovers.

I'm not sure Jimmy can win a Super Bowl without a good offensive cast, and a stacked defense, like he had here. I think the Raiders can have a good offense with Jimmy/McDaniels. But that defense has been bad for the last couple years. It's just hard because they play in the same division as the Chiefs and Chargers. My prediction is, at worst, they win 8 games, and at best... 11 games. I think they can get to the Wild Card, but I don't see them making it past the AFC juggernauts in the Divisional (Chiefs, Bengals, Bills).

So are you giving Jimmy ALL of the credit for the Niners having this type of culture? Are you saying NONE of the other players helped set the culture for the team? I mean I agree that Jimmy was absolutely the biggest factor, but I'm going to spend the next three days arguing with you that it's less than 100%.

Jimmy isn't solely responsible. We had a good locker room before, Jimmy even complimented that. Our front office deserves 100% credit for that and everyone else deserves fractional %, with jimmy getting the most amongst players because he is the QB and that's the most important position that keeps a lockeroom steady.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Jimmy isn't solely responsible. We had a good locker room before, Jimmy even complimented that. Our front office deserves 100% credit for that and everyone else deserves fractional %, with jimmy getting the most amongst players because he is the QB and that's the most important position that keeps a lockeroom steady.

Exactly right tankle.

Though I think you might be on the wrong elevation with this post
Our culture will fall 10-12 spots simply from Jimmy leaving. Look where the culture was pre Jimmy and look where it is now. He's clearly the only possible contributor and deserves all the credit. Rest of team and coaches have nothing to do with it.

If you disagree you aren't on my elevation. Learn how to mountain climb losers.

We can all wish Jimmy well but to think he will be more successful than he was with the Niners is silly. They don't have as much talent as the niners and iI'll take Kyle over McDaniels. Plus Jimmy is older and more beat up than when he came to SF. They also need to get through a lot of tough teams in their division and the AFC as a whole. Way more good young QBs in that conference.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

How can you possibly know how much Jimmy, or the coaches, or the other players, or the front office, each contributed? Maybe the players' wives or parents talked to them and made them more positive. I mean the front office gets 100% credit? So the players and coaches are just robots and didn't participate in the positive culture? I think you need to have nuance and qualify every statement that you make in any thread, because if not then you risk hurting someone's feelings.

how jimmmmy looks on madden :P
[ Edited by picklejuice on Mar 18, 2023 at 12:50 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
We can all wish Jimmy well but to think he will be more successful than he was with the Niners is silly. They don't have as much talent as the niners and iI'll take Kyle over McDaniels. Plus Jimmy is older and more beat up than when he came to SF. They also need to get through a lot of tough teams in their division and the AFC as a whole. Way more good young QBs in that conference.

If he isn't successful it will all be his fault for not fixing the defense and changing the culture apparently. Those other things you mentioned are clearly ignorable factors.

Need to get on the right elevation Catch.

No, you're misreading my post, I wasn't saying that Jimmy was the sole reason, otherwise I would've said he was THE guy.
My post says "He's a tone-setter and a culture-setter for a team, and when you have guys like that... " It wasn't just Jimmy, past and present, because there are guys like Kittle... Warner... Juice... DeFo in the past, and now CMC.

Locker room is filled with high character guys, but Jimmy played definitely played a huge part in that. Can you quantify it? No.
But usually, not always, QB is the first guy people look to when you count a team's leaders.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I don't think my prediction of 8 win minimum, 11 win maximum + divisional exit, is "more successful" than what he had with the Niners?
I agree with you that Shanahan > McDaniels and the AFC West is so competitive... but they won 6 games last year, and they had 9 losses where it was one-score losses. My opinion is that a stronger QB/Head Coach connection than McDaniels/Carr would lend itself well to a better record.

he will throw for 30 TDs and win the AFC west
[ Edited by picklejuice on Mar 18, 2023 at 4:11 PM ]
I don't think my prediction of 8 win minimum, 11 win maximum + divisional exit, is "more successful" than what he had with the Niners?
I agree with you that Shanahan > McDaniels and the AFC West is so competitive... but they won 6 games last year, and they had 9 losses where it was one-score losses. My opinion is that a stronger QB/Head Coach connection than McDaniels/Carr would lend itself well to a better record.

What was the actual reason they dumped carr, besides the 40m.What was he not doing that McD wanted?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

What was the actual reason they dumped carr, besides the 40m.What was he not doing that McD wanted?

Winning, doing well vs pressure, not missing easy throws, performing bad against good defenses

No, you're misreading my post, I wasn't saying that Jimmy was the sole reason, otherwise I would've said he was THE guy.
My post says "He's a tone-setter and a culture-setter for a team, and when you have guys like that... " It wasn't just Jimmy, past and present, because there are guys like Kittle... Warner... Juice... DeFo in the past, and now CMC.

Locker room is filled with high character guys, but Jimmy played definitely played a huge part in that. Can you quantify it? No.
But usually, not always, QB is the first guy people look to when you count a team's leaders.

Just like in every other sport, the HC sets that culture.

The locker room leaders need to buy into the HC first.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I was being sarcastic and @ing someone else. He can't figure out what elevation he's at though so don't worry about it.

I agree with you though. Jimmy was absolutely a main factor in turning the culture around for the Niners. He'll do the same for the Raiders.
Share 49ersWebzone