LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Pre 2011? Absolutely, Jimmy outperformed Alex.

Jimmy is/was the more natural thrower of the football than Alex no question. But his footwork and pocket mobility was way worse than Alex's IMO.

But you know as well as I do that Alex had a new offensive coordinator every single year. Jimmy had Kyle Shanahan... kinda unfair to compare with that fact alone.

I think Alex performed better in the playoffs, was traded for 2 second rounders (Jimmy released?), and his post 49ers career without question will be better than Jimmy's.

I'm not confident Jimmy will start a full season for the rest of his career, whether that's due to opportunity or injuries. I hope he does get a chance elsewhere so this debate can continue.

In the end... Jimmy is more of a gunslinger than Alex. Alex was a game manager. If Jimmy didn't tear his ACL I think I would agree with you that Jimmy is clearly superior. But at this moment I don't think he's proved that yet.

Jimmy accomplished more in 2019 and 2021 alone than Alex did in 7 years as a 49er. I know there could be reasons for that, but reasons aside, Jimmy accomplished more. Personally, what Alex did as a Chief is irrelevant to me....as will what Jimmy does in his next stop. All that matters to me is what was accomplished here. And Alex overall was a massive disappointment, where as Jimmy was only a slight one. Just my 2 cents.

Jimmy doesn't have any moment that is as memorable as the playoff game against the Saints. In the playoffs, Jimmy was always either a passenger along for the ride or a detriment. Never the hero.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Jimmy is/was the more natural thrower of the football than Alex no question. But his footwork and pocket mobility was way worse than Alex's IMO.

But you know as well as I do that Alex had a new offensive coordinator every single year. Jimmy had Kyle Shanahan... kinda unfair to compare with that fact alone.

I think Alex performed better in the playoffs, was traded for 2 second rounders (Jimmy released?), and his post 49ers career without question will be better than Jimmy's.

I'm not confident Jimmy will start a full season for the rest of his career, whether that's due to opportunity or injuries. I hope he does get a chance elsewhere so this debate can continue.

In the end... Jimmy is more of a gunslinger than Alex. Alex was a game manager. If Jimmy didn't tear his ACL I think I would agree with you that Jimmy is clearly superior. But at this moment I don't think he's proved that yet.

Jimmy accomplished more in 2019 and 2021 alone than Alex did in 7 years as a 49er. I know there could be reasons for that, but reasons aside, Jimmy accomplished more. Personally, what Alex did as a Chief is irrelevant to me....as will what Jimmy does in his next stop. All that matters to me is what was accomplished here. And Alex overall was a massive disappointment, where as Jimmy was only a slight one. Just my 2 cents.

Jimmy doesn't have any moment that is as memorable as the playoff game against the Saints. In the playoffs, Jimmy was always either a passenger along for the ride or a detriment. Never the hero.

I can agree with this. The Alex moment at Candlestick was all time. But to play devils advocate, Jimmy has never played in a playoff game where the 49ers turned the opponent over five times.

And @golden to your point, yes Jimmy exceeded the expectations one should have from a 2nd round pick, but he absolutely failed to meet expectations of being the next great 49er QB (or even coming close to meeting the expectations of someone being paid what we paid him).

I can agree with this. The Alex moment at Candlestick was all time. But to play devils advocate, Jimmy has never played in a playoff game where the 49ers turned the opponent over five times.

And @golden to your point, yes Jimmy exceeded the expectations one should have from a 2nd round pick, but he absolutely failed to meet expectations of being the next great 49er QB (or even coming close to meeting the expectations of someone being paid what we paid him).

I kinda view Alex, Jimmy, and Kaepernick together like one of those ven diagrams.

Where Alex had the mobility but not the arm talent, and Jimmy had the arm talent but not the mobility, and Kaepernick had the arm talent and the mobility but wasn't the best in processing defenses (or something else I'm forgetting)

It will continue to be a debate as long as we're alive but for the first time ever (born in 92) I truly feel we got a QB who even the staunchest naysayers won't try to argue belongs with those other 3 QB. Trey will be in his own class reaching for our two all time greats but separated from Alex, Jimmy , and Kaep.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Jun 7, 2022 at 5:01 PM ]
^I was really hoping Jimmy was the next great 49er QB. I think a lot of people did. Let's hope Trey is the real deal!!!

I kinda view Alex, Jimmy, and Kaepernick together like one of those ven diagrams.

Where Alex had the mobility but not the arm talent, and Jimmy had the arm talent but not the mobility, and Kaepernick had the arm talent and the mobility but wasn't the best in processing defenses (or something else I'm forgetting)

It will continue to be a debate as long as we're alive but for the first time ever (born in 92) I truly feel we got a QB who even the staunchest naysayers won't try to argue belongs with those other 3 QB. Trey will be in his own class reaching for our two all time greats but separated from Alex, Jimmy , and Kaep.

Kaepernick's problem was anticipatory throwing. He read defenses about as well as Jimmy.

Oh, and sometimes inconsistent accuracy.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Jun 7, 2022 at 8:17 PM ]
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Kaepernick's problem was anticipatory throwing. He read defenses about as well as Jimmy.

Wasn't going through his reads also a problem for Kaep?
Originally posted by Ghostofabshelmet:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Wasn't going through his reads also a problem for Kaep?

I think Kaep's biggest issues were processing and his elongated throwing motion. The combination gave DB's time to break on the ball and make plays. Sometimes leading to pick 6's.
Big fan of Kap and Alex but their passing stats are nowhere even remotely close to Jimmy's. Kap was dynamic because he was a serious threat to run the ball but his passing game was nothing great. Jimmy on the other hand was top 10, even top 5 in almost every single important passing statistic his one healthy year. Hell Jimmy didn't even play 2 1/2 games last season and he still dominated Kap in a full season in most stats.

All 3 good QBs that gave this team a lot. All three helped us be successful. All 3 unfairly treated terribly by an ungrateful spoiled fanbase.
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on Jun 8, 2022 at 5:24 AM ]
I think you only have to listen to what the players say in their interviews to understand that Jimmy is gone.

It's not rocket science, hell it isn't even kindergarten science.
Originally posted by RackofRibs49:
Big fan of Kap and Alex but their passing stats are nowhere even remotely close to Jimmy's. Kap was dynamic because he was a serious threat to run the ball but his passing game was nothing great. Jimmy on the other hand was top 10, even top 5 in almost every single important passing statistic his one healthy year. Hell Jimmy didn't even play 2 1/2 games last season and he still dominated Kap in a full season in most stats.

All 3 good QBs that gave this team a lot. All three helped us be successful. All 3 unfairly treated terribly by an ungrateful spoiled fanbase.

Oh cry me a river. What the hell is fair in the NFL? All 3 we paid a f**k ton of money, had years worth of playing time, with next to nothing in competition (you could say Kap had the least amount of time as "the guy") You can say thanks for playing and also realize they aren't "the dude" for the next decade. You either have a legit decade long FQB or you're looking for one in the NFL.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Oh cry me a river. What the hell is fair in the NFL? All 3 we paid a f**k ton of money, had years worth of playing time, with next to nothing in competition (you could say Kap had the least amount of time as "the guy") You can say thanks for playing and also realize they aren't "the dude" for the next decade. You either have a legit decade long FQB or you're looking for one in the NFL.

RoR always bringing up how the dislike for Jimmy is personal. I have realized that his love for Jimmy makes it personal for him when folks state how Jimmy isn't the guy and are ready to move on.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jun 8, 2022 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:

RoR always bringing up how the dislike for Jimmy is personal. I have realized that his love for Jimmy makes it personal for him when folks state how Jimmy isn't the guy and are ready to move on.

All 3 unfairly treated terribly by an ungrateful spoiled fanbase(Not just jimmy). Do I seriously have to prove this? Don't take it personal that I brought up that Alex was nearly boo'd out of a stadium, Kaep was hated for football and being a human, Jimmy has guys that never once have ever said a positive thing about him. If that's you, then sorry for my honesty, I wasn't pointing at you though. I was pointing at our history of crapping on QB's even the successful ones.
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on Jun 8, 2022 at 9:16 AM ]
This Jimmy contract really is biting the team in the ass.

All 3 unfairly treated terribly by an ungrateful spoiled fanbase. Do I seriously have to prove this? Don't take it personal that I brought up that Alex was nearly boo'd out of a stadium, Kaep was hated for football and being a human, Jimmy has guys that never once have ever said a positive thing about him. If that's you, then sorry for my honesty, I wasn't pointing at you though. I was pointing at our history of crapping on QB's even the successful ones.
When those QBs proved that they were not going to get better and transcend us.. is when the fan base had enough and rightfully so
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

All 3 unfairly treated terribly by an ungrateful spoiled fanbase. Do I seriously have to prove this? Don't take it personal that I brought up that Alex was nearly boo'd out of a stadium, Kaep was hated for football and being a human, Jimmy has guys that never once have ever said a positive thing about him. If that's you, then sorry for my honesty, I wasn't pointing at you though. I was pointing at our history of crapping on QB's even the successful ones.
When those QBs proved that they were not going to get better and transcend us.. is when the fan base had enough and rightfully so

What was Alex's record after you guys boo'd him out of the stadium?
Share 49ersWebzone