LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Protest idea? NFL related

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I suggest all opposing teams punt to us on 1st down. We don't have to because of the sacrifices we made watching Kaep play.

Good one!
Originally posted by Sourball:
I hate racism of any sort. But since when is the football field the place to solve social and racial injustice?
I love what Kap has done collecting donations and sending food and supplies to needy areas and I think that speaks more and isn't as controversial and is well accepted rather than doing it during the anthem
They wanna protest on the field? Do it after the game while others gather and kneel and pray
In a perfect world, people wouldn't be up in arms over the protest but in a perfect world there would be no reason.
I don't know what the answer is but I don't think anyone's mind is being changed during a football game. Supporters are gonna applaud and those who are upset with it will still complain.
To quote Rodney King. Can't we all just get along?

I think they feel obligated to now as people are comparing them to other types of celebrities (actors, other athletes, etc). While many people may think celebrities shouldn't have influential voices on public matters, history has shown many people encourage it and not slowing down anytime soon. And then ultimately this becomes a way for news outlets to make money off the celebrities.
They should just bow their heads and pray. Maybe form a prayer circle. Sends the same message, but nobody would dare to speak up against prayer.
I'd rather any protesting player(s) stay in the locker room until after the national anthem. There they can protest whatever the f**k they wanna protest however the f**k they want too. Outta sight, outta mind type ish. BTW I don't like the fact these foo's kneel during the anthem.
Just my take, but as a former combat veteran I hate that the national anthem is played at unimportant stuff like sporting events
whether it be NFL, NASCAR, or whatever.
I don't think that players sitting or protesting the Flag makes there point well enough and doesn't serve much of a purpose no matter what, as most fans don't like it.
Dilutes the message.
Im sure theres some signifficance for it but anthems at sporting events kinda overrated imo
[ Edited by crabman82 on Aug 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
Im sure theres some signifficance for it but anthems at sporting events kinda overrated imo

It's modern propaganda. The US government spends tens of millions/year trying to promote patriotism at sporting events. Just a drop in the bucket of our military/defense budgets.

I have a bigger issue paying taxes to have jets fly over stadiums than I do with a few players choosing not to stand during the anthem.
  • titan
  • Veteran
How about Don't protest when we are PAYING RESPECT for something specific.
How would they like it If We Protest During One of Their Love Ones Funeral.
If anything like this happens, you can hear all the usual people (NFL, ESPN, CBS, NBC, NFLPA, etc. ) making excuses for continuing falling ratings - "Games are too long", "Too many Commercials", "Changing viewing habits", "New Generation with different ways of receiving content", blah blah blah....

Football has been one of the big escapes from daily CRAP so that people who don't normally get along (i.e. Family GT's like Thanksgiving) can talk about something w/o it descending into an argument where people end up yelling and leaving.

Just sayin'
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by thl408:
I think that favors the defense because then it will be 2nd down & 10. If the 49ers kick off to start the second half I am all for it.

edit: Unless you mean first play as in the kickoff, then if the 49ers receive to open the second half I am all for it. I think getting the ball at the opponents 35 yard line is a nice advantage. Pretty much in field goal range to start the half.

Originally posted by Born49R:
Just my take, but as a former combat veteran I hate that the national anthem is played at unimportant stuff like sporting events
I don't think that players sitting or protesting the Flag makes there point well enough and doesn't serve much of a purpose no matter what, as most fans don't like it.
Dilutes the message.

This is an interesting take I really haven't heard before. I kind of do like it at football games because it kind of sends the message that while we are rooting for 2 different teams we really are one team. I'm not a combat vet so I feel your opinion has more weight though.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by Born49R:
Dilutes the message.

This is an interesting take I really haven't heard before. I kind of do like it at football games because it kind of sends the message that while we are rooting for 2 different teams we really are one team. I'm not a combat vet so I feel your opinion has more weight though.

You feel that it's unimportant because you may not know the National Anthem how it is link to the sports world. I may not describe it as clear as I was told, but I feel that you will see how it is linked as a veteran. It has to do with World War 1 Government were drafting Major League player. We entered the War were 100,000 soldiers died within a year and a half. Baseball Players were being drafted to fight at that time, so they were emotionally involved along with the fans and their families.I think it was during the Cubs and Red Sox World series game during the seventh inning stretch were a Military Band was present and started playing The Star Spangled Banner for the first time ever during a game. With some players being also enlisted, they immediately snapped at attention faced the flag to salute. I think this is how it was adopted and overall it's an awesome part of the military history. I can't even imagine what they were going through, but I know what positivity it can bring. When Sept 11, 2001 happened, what an emotional pain that brought. But when the National Anthem would play the feeling and energy it brought to remember, to pay respect and to recharge was indescribable.
Originally posted by Sourball:
I hate racism of any sort. But since when is the football field the place to solve social and racial injustice?
I love what Kap has done collecting donations and sending food and supplies to needy areas and I think that speaks more and isn't as controversial and is well accepted rather than doing it during the anthem
They wanna protest on the field? Do it after the game while others gather and kneel and pray
In a perfect world, people wouldn't be up in arms over the protest but in a perfect world there would be no reason.
I don't know what the answer is but I don't think anyone's mind is being changed during a football game. Supporters are gonna applaud and those who are upset with it will still complain.
To quote Rodney King. Can't we all just get along?

I think you need to think about sports in general and who the majority of these players are and where they come from.

I think protest has no limits in America, I am just pissed at the fact that we haven't seen an entire pro team sit for the anthem. I do like it when the entire team stands, I just want to see solidarity in team sports.

But the sponsors say no, no, no...
I was thinking about the protest "controversy" during the national anthem and I feel like there is a much better way to accomplish the same thing. I don't know how to get the suggestion to the main protesters in the NFL (this probably won't help) but why not get my thoughts out there.

I feel like the main issue at hand (knee) for the people that aren't against what people are protesting for but how they choose to do it. Some people see it as offensive to soldiers and love/patriotic feelings towards the country.

Here is my solution:

Both teams (or groups of players from both sides) huddle and take a knee at midfield right after half time as the first play starts. Both teams will get a penalty (a slap on the wrist), this will be visible, the game won't be impacted and announcers/ESPN will still talk about why the players are doing it. To me, this accomplishes the same things the players want while not offending the anthem supporters.

Thoughts?

I pretty much disagree with this entire post except for the italics.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I was thinking about the protest "controversy" during the national anthem and I feel like there is a much better way to accomplish the same thing. I don't know how to get the suggestion to the main protesters in the NFL (this probably won't help) but why not get my thoughts out there.

I feel like the main issue at hand (knee) for the people that aren't against what people are protesting for but how they choose to do it. Some people see it as offensive to soldiers and love/patriotic feelings towards the country.

Here is my solution:

Both teams (or groups of players from both sides) huddle and take a knee at midfield right after half time as the first play starts. Both teams will get a penalty (a slap on the wrist), this will be visible, the game won't be impacted and announcers/ESPN will still talk about why the players are doing it. To me, this accomplishes the same things the players want while not offending the anthem supporters.

Thoughts?

I pretty much disagree with this entire post except for the italics.

^ Getting corny, trying too hard, and giving them too much attention. How about they get together during the off season and make a difference... yes on their own time, so kill some of the lavish vacation and make a change.
[ Edited by titan on Aug 22, 2017 at 12:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone