There are 314 users in the forums

Don Yee proposes Pacific Pro league

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Teams would receive equal shares of the revenue split, so money and cap would not be an issue.

Like the relegation league in Premier League Soccer, they would get the first 8 picks in the draft.

As a developmental division of the NFL they would be allowed 64 players, and champion would have to make cuts before the draft. All these players would be free agents, or perhaps draft eligible.

Unlike all the other failed alternate leagues, this is an NFL product with a real prize at stake, elevation, this would be enough to attract fans.

With teams in cities like Saint Louis, Portland, London, Vancouver BC, Mexico City, and others it would give the NFL a product in other countries to spread the sport.

Larger rosters could accommodate players coming from High School, or JCs.

Teams would not tank of higher picks, all games all season would matter.

Sure, lots of bugs, and kinks to work out, but in all I think with some positive input, it would be a better option than this guys league, it would get more viewers, and be better funded.

Like I aid earlier, if the NFL, NBA, and NCAA, want better products, the pro leagues have to make a rule saying all players entering the league need a two year degree in "Handling your s**t, and not going broke...oh, and some history of your game" This could be accomplished a number of ways.

The NFL could simply say, the degree is a job requirement.

The Players Association could establish a two their wage scale, with players who enter the league with less than two, or four years college experience singing 4 year, or two year contracts for significantly less then their college attending center parts, maybe a cap of 2 million a year for players without two years of college.

As of now it's not a complete split with only 61% of total revenues being shared. Things like attendance aren't split up evenly. I think that's 70 keep 30 split. So once you bring in teams drawing half of what the big leagues do it is going to impact their ability to compete. Even if you make those changes free agents will still avoid the bottom dwellers and the draft isn't a quick fix. The bigger question is do those players stay? Probably not. So you get more scrubs?

I'm not a fan of going international either. They just don't play the game, NFL is not going to change that especially with the concussions. Football being played abroad is a niche and if they keep it like that and just do a couple games a year it's fine. A London franchise though will flop. It's not home grown. It's just going to be a bunch of Americans playing in London and there's a limited appeal to that. If an American sport was to try going international it should be the NBA.

The 3 year rule isn't going anywhere it's barely worth discussing. They won that court case. Even if Yee's league takes off I don't see NFL changing. If you can avoid developing players that cuts down on costs so don't expect that to ever go away. They could reward degrees and that would certainly help in terms of avoiding the bad PR players. Degrees don't make players play better though.

The NFL seems bent on going global, Im not a huge fan either. I was just applying some "outside the box" thinking, its kind of a mental excessive in problem solving. I saw this thread, and thought, heres a solution without a problem, there is literally no need for this guys new league.

But that got me thinking, how could the NFL handle the following ideas that seem to keep coming up:

Global expansion

Lack of fully developed players

Second their cities like Saint Louis that want teams

How to get viewers, and revenue from a developmental league.

Also, how can I solve the NCAA's one and done problem.

I took these factors' and thought for a bit, and this rough idea is the result....not married to it, not fully fleshed out, but hey, I like it better then Yee's idea
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
It worked fine 30 years ago until donald trump jacked it up.
Originally posted by xcfan:
It worked fine 30 years ago until donald trump jacked it up.

Are you saying that Donald Trump is responsible for the most popoular professional league in USA history?
Adidas signs on as a sponsor of upstart Pacific Pro Football-
The Pacific Pro Football league is specifically designed to challenge college football by signing players who aren't yet eligible for the NFL draft.
The league can offer $50,000 salaries, which might entice some players to leave college football behind. Getting sponsors like Adidas will help the new league pay those salaries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/28/adidas-signs-on-as-a-sponsor-of-upstart-pacific-pro-football/
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think its a great idea, especially now that NFLE is no longer around.There's a lot of good players outta high school that take the long road to college because they either don't have the money to walk on or grades then they go the JC route. And if they're noticed most of them who transfer have to sit out a year, which sets them farther behind.

I'm not saying this is for everyone, but this helps players get recognized and gives them a second chance to fulfill their dream.
Like all new ventures this would take time to establish itself. They don't want to go head to head with the NFL on sunday's In the winter. But if I were involved I would be pushing for tie-ins with NFL teams. Like minor league baseball perhaps. Recently, more and more I read complaints that the colleges are no longer turning out the players the NFL wants, quarterbacks and O linemen being an example. This leaves a gap for a development league.

Assuming they go for spring football I would give it a shot.

Pay them in white women and guns

/threat
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Pay them in white women and guns

/threat

Woah not cool man. Guns kill people.
pay players straight out of high school and build them up mentally and physically for an NFL career

We'll see about that. But if this league could get kids from a younger age, like how Soccer Academies do in Europe, I think they would indeed be able groom these young men in an impactful way.
Share 49ersWebzone