LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

UDFA Matt Breida RB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ninerfan84:
Bibbs was a throw in for that deal. The swap of a 5th this year for a 4th next year is fair value in itself. Don't think it puts any more value on Bibbs.

The trade allowed us the ammunition to move up for Williams and keep a 5th to be able to draft a player like Kittle.

I'd roll with Hyde, Hightower, Williams, Breida/Bibbs.

It would be one thing if bibbs was a pass catcher, but he's not (and one crazy catch last yr but nothing else same in college). Hightower can catch the ball and is a proven vet. So I'm with ya.

Hyde, Hightower, Williams, and Breida all day
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Lurker:
Playing in the NFL is a lot more than just measurables. Having said that, I am excited to see what he can do moving forward.

The measurables could help him get a spot on special teams, making his odds of sticking on the roster even better.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
So we'll keep 3 rbs on the 53 right?

I'm thinking 4 RBs plus Juice as FB. The 4 RBs: Hyde, Williams, Hightower, and one of either Bibbs or Breida/other.

Yeah, I have Hyde, Williams, Bibbs and Breida. Hightower is old and Bubba, we have up a draft pick, is young, and can be a returner. In this case, all 4 of our RB's are under 25.

Barring injury, I have a difficult time seeing Hightower not make this team. He knows the ins-and-outs of Shanahan's offense better than any other RB on this team, which holds a lot of weight due to its complexities...he is 30 but he didn't take any hits from 2012 - 2015 as he was out of the league...he had sort of a resurgence last year with the Saints in playing the whole year, scoring 4 TDs, and being a running + receiving threat. However, enough about Hightower...this is the Matt Breida thread.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on May 10, 2017 at 12:50 PM ]
you heard it here first.... Aaron Jones for the Packers is the real deal... i wished we would have drafted him.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Barring injury, I have a difficult time seeing Hightower not make this team. He knows the ins-and-outs of Shanahan's offense better than any other RB on this team, which holds a lot of weight due to its complexities...he is 30 but he didn't take any hits from 2012 - 2015 as he was out of the league...he had sort of a resurgence last year with the Saints in playing the whole year, scoring 4 TDs, and being a running + receiving threat. However, enough about Hightower...this is the Matt Breida thread.

Sure, I get that side of the perspective as well.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
you heard it here first.... Aaron Jones for the Packers is the real deal... i wished we would have drafted him.

Are you suggesting he's going to have a better year/career than Williams?
Breida looked unstoppable in 2014-15. Unreal acceleration, vision, speed, etc. but perplexing and precipitous drop off in 2016. If we get the earlier version, we'll have a gem, regardless of his college competition.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

I'll answer for him lol. Yes.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Then I'll disagree with you
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Breida looked unstoppable in 2014-15. Unreal acceleration, vision, speed, etc. but perplexing and precipitous drop off in 2016. If we get the earlier version, we'll have a gem, regardless of his college competition.

They changed over the whole staff and scheme I believe along with losing starters...

I will disagree with him as well
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I will disagree with him as well

Look, Jones could end up being the better player... It's like if someone said Barnett will be better than Garrett.

But in this case, we interviewed Jones and we still took Williams before him...so he/we can feel good about that.
Originally posted by Ninerfan84:
Bibbs was a throw in for that deal. The swap of a 5th this year for a 4th next year is fair value in itself.

Actually it's really not fair value.
We gave up an early 4th in 2018 which will be ~#115 for a 2018 late 5th #177 ... so we gave up over 60 spots or about two rounds. Normally you give up only about 30 spots for trading down a year.

For example, we traded the #67 (early 3rd) to N.O. for a 2nd in 2018 which will likely be around ~#48-50. So we only gained 18-20 slots for trading down a year.

And Bibbs is very mediocre,

I think that we gave Elway a gift with that trade because we owed him a favor
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Breida was a mini draft crush for me, his film from the prior years had me peg him as a 5th rounder on my board. If he shows he can do in the NFL what he did in 2014 & 2015 at GSU, we'd have a tremendous three-pronged attack RB for the future (assuming Hightower is not re-signed after this season, if he makes the team).

I love the new-look backfield already. Hightower, Williams, Breida, and Bibbs all are upgrades over Mike Davis and DuJuan Harris (though Bibbs/Harris is kind of a wash to me).

I predict Breida surprises and plays a lot this year. He will be a good change-of-pace speed back who will pick a hole in the zone blocking and break away for long gains

1. Hyde
2. Williams
3. Breida
4. Hightower
[ Edited by Vito_Corleone on May 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM ]
Matt Breida Numbers:
2014 1485 yards 17 TD at 8.7 Yards per carry !!!
2015 1609 yards 17 TD at 7.9 Yards per carry !!!
2016 646 yards 3 TD at 3.8 Yards per carry !!! what happened?
Career 6.9 yards per carry

Top #1 pSPARQ score of any RB in the draft (141.7)
https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/rb/

40-yard time: 4.38
Vertical: 42"
Broad jump: 11', 2"
Bench: 23 reps
Great stats, great homerun threat, great athlete, did well against top SEC teams,
Share 49ersWebzone