LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by Jiks:
Bust

How can you even bust when you're undrafted?

Lmao

Ok, this made me laugh too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
The QB practice squad spot will be a fight between Mullins and Henegan. I actually am looking forward in the 3rd and 4rth Qtrs in this years pre-season games to see how they do and who makes the QB practice squad spot. I'm thinking that guy on the QB practice squad will be the 2nd string QB in two years when they have to trade CJ to (maybe) the Pats for a #2 draft pick.
This guy rocks.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
This guy rocks.

If he keeps getting better, I can see them trading CJ to a QB needy team in a year or so, and Nick being the backup to Jimmy - again in a year or so.
Can CJ handle Mullens 2.0?
should get reps with the 2s.

CJ was embarrassing last night.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Can CJ handle Mullens 2.0?

can Jimmy?
This guy rocks.

With Shanahan's coaching I wouldn't be surprised if he gets plucked if we and he keeps up solid play,assuming hell get cut. I would take a swing if I was low key desperate lolz.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
This guy rocks.

With Shanahan's coaching I wouldn't be surprised if he gets plucked if we and he keeps up solid play,assuming hell get cut. I would take a swing if I was low key desperate lolz.
Yup, if he keeps up his 4th qtr comebacks like in the Dallas game for the next 3 games, there's no way he'll stay on the practice squad.

In the next preseason game, I'd love to see him play against the 2nds. 1. To really Guage his talent and 2. To see how BeatHard does against the 3rds and 4rths. But that's unlikely unless Kyle really thinks Mullen has a shot to unseat CJ.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Mullens didn't look half bad.

Mullens is about to develop a severe hang nail that will keep him out for the season.
Originally posted by mojave45:
Mullens is about to develop a severe hang nail that will keep him out for the season.

I dunno, Mojave...after one game that hangnail might end up on Cjs finger. Still and all this was PS game 1 and we are talking about going against future grocery clerks and so on. I posted elsewhere, against dallas's #1s, it would have been interesting to see how Mullen plays. No doubt he plays a lot faster than C.J. C.J.has more guts than any QB i can remember ever. But based on one nite's work, Mullen's won going away.

So somebody is going to get a hangnail. Right now CJs in the lead for it. But again, hey, we are just getting started. I suspect we will see Mullen against the 1s sometime in next 3 games, because kyle has to get this right. And if last nite were the only PS game, Mullen would be our #2. In reality, we just don't have enough info at present to make any kind of decision. Have to say tho Mullen had a great nite. At Miss. St. his last yr he threw for like 4500 yds or something close plus a bunch of TDs. It isn't like he suddenly bloomed into greatness. He was a deserving #3 last yr . This yr it looks like it may be an interesting competition.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

I dunno, Mojave...after one game that hangnail might end up on Cjs finger. Still and all this was PS game 1 and we are talking about going against future grocery clerks and so on. I posted elsewhere, against dallas's #1s, it would have been interesting to see how Mullen plays. No doubt he plays a lot faster than C.J. C.J.has more guts than any QB i can remember ever. But based on one nite's work, Mullen's won going away.

So somebody is going to get a hangnail. Right now CJs in the lead for it. But again, hey, we are just getting started. I suspect we will see Mullen against the 1s sometime in next 3 games, because kyle has to get this right. And if last nite were the only PS game, Mullen would be our #2. In reality, we just don't have enough info at present to make any kind of decision. Have to say tho Mullen had a great nite. At Miss. St. his last yr he threw for like 4500 yds or something close plus a bunch of TDs. It isn't like he suddenly bloomed into greatness. He was a deserving #3 last yr . This yr it looks like it may be an interesting competition.
Doc, I agree that the competition for #2 QB just got really heated. Unless Mullin's keeps up his production - I don't think he can beat out CJ. So next game - he has to pretty much do the same thing he did in the Dallas game. But Mullins has (I think) a legitimate shot at #2 ***IF*** big if, he keeps it up.
Too many in here are going crazy over a meaningless preseason game against guys who won't be on NFL teams in a few weeks.

CJ was hand picked by KS and was starting games for this team as a rookie. There isn't much Mullens can do to take his job as #2 right now. Most teams also want QB's who are familiar with their system, so it's a safe bet that Mullens once again makes it to our practice squad. I just don't see him making an NFL roster unless someone losses multiple QB's to injury or horrible play and are forced to take a risk on him.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Doc, I agree that the competition for #2 QB just got really heated. Unless Mullin's keeps up his production - I don't think he can beat out CJ. So next game - he has to pretty much do the same thing he did in the Dallas game. But Mullins has (I think) a legitimate shot at #2 ***IF*** big if, he keeps it up.

Yeah guys, I just don't see a battle here. Unless CJ lays an egg and Mullins lights it up. But honestly CJ is most likely our back up QB this year. I make no major assessments when they are playing in the 4th qtr of he first preseason game. Just me though. But the good here, if it turns out there really is any is that Kyle might start a QB Factory. Train them up and and trade for picks higher than you used to draft them. I am not saying that about Mullens at the moment, but if he gets good enough to trade CJ in the future and we keep doing that.. It would be a great way for a team to stockpile some picks.
Share 49ersWebzone