LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

49ers release S Adrian Colbert-Round 7, Pick 229

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I still say it was not helmet to helmet. I played that back frame by frame and he turned his head down and to the side to avoid helmet to helmet. His shoulder hit the receiver high in the chest. If there was any helmet to helmet contact it was incidental and very slight. Last time I checked, most people's head is on the top of the body. When you lean forward to tackle someone your head has to go down as well. You can only move it so far and at the speed they are moving it's really tough to do. You have to keep your eye on the guy while you are going in for the tackle so you don't miss and at the same time turn your head to the side. I would like to see replays like they do in college before ejecting a player. If it is ruled unintentional then just issue a 15 yard penalty. No need to change the possible outcome of the game for an accidental contact.

You don't get concussions from air whiplash. You get them with direct shots to the chin/head area or the head whipped to a hard surface (ground, a body). I think AC tried for a clean shot but the strike zone was small on that player and AC clearly was not playing the ball.
I think the penalty was awful and the ejection was even worse.
The NFL cares nothing about player safety. The bottom line is the only thing that counts and has ever counted. With player pay as high as it is now, and with the large amount of information now readily available on the long-term effects of injuries, the NFL sensed a growing threat of early player retirements (see Borland, Chris). More seriously to the NFL dollar, however, was the growing movement in the country of parents refusing to let their children play football.

Both of these the NFL perceived as damaging to the NFL brand in the long-term. Now, add in the power players have in the CBA negotiations and how vociferously they have voiced concern, and you've got a mix toxic to the NFL.

These rules are to protect the NFL brand, nothing more.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Originally posted by NCommand:
You don't get concussions from air whiplash. You get them with direct shots to the chin/head area or the head whipped to a hard surface (ground, a body). I think AC tried for a clean shot but the strike zone was small on that player and AC clearly was not playing the ball.

You can get concussion from whiplash. I had one. But that isn't the issue I have with the rule. I agree that there should have been a foul but not an ejection since it was not intentional. The tackler is being asked to make a decision in a split second on which way to move his head to avoid the helmet to helmet. Most receivers and runners lower their head instinctively as they move forward and prepare to absorb the tackle. It's a natural movement. If he lowers his head and the tackler moves his to that same side, how do you avoid the helmet contact. It's not that hard to tell the difference between an intentional use of the helmet and and accidental one. If they can do it in the NCAA they can do it in the NFL.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by NCommand:

You can get concussion from whiplash. I had one. But that isn't the issue I have with the rule. I agree that there should have been a foul but not an ejection since it was not intentional. The tackler is being asked to make a decision in a split second on which way to move his head to avoid the helmet to helmet. Most receivers and runners lower their head instinctively as they move forward and prepare to absorb the tackle. It's a natural movement. If he lowers his head and the tackler moves his to that same side, how do you avoid the helmet contact. It's not that hard to tell the difference between an intentional use of the helmet and and accidental one. If they can do it in the NCAA they can do it in the NFL.

Funny, I was just talking about how the offensive player is never taken into account on the play. And that's wrong IMHO.
You avoid the penalty by playing the ball not trying to take out the wr. The ball was overthrown he didn't make a play on it. Gonna draw a foul every time.
There are a couple different components to this type of play and the rule:

1. A player takes aim at an opponent for the purpose of attacking with forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
2. A player takes aim at a defenseless opponent for the purpose of attacking with forcible contact to the head or neck area

In both cases (1 and 2) an "indicator" of targeting must be present. An indicator can be a launch/leaving your feet, crouch, leading with head, crown of helmet, leading with forearm, elbow, shoulder, hand, or fist to opponents head or neck area.

I'm not saying I like the rule but Colbert violated the "defenseless" player component of targeting. He also launched and officials are going to call it when in doubt. All targeting calls are reviewed and its a big hoopla regarding writing game reports etc anytime you throw a flag for targeting especially if you eject a player. Trust me, officials don't "want" to call it but its part of the job and these guys are graded, quizzed and evaluated weekly. The guys on the field don't actually eject anyone. The replay officials have to make that decision. I thought it was targeting and deserved a flag but I didnt think it was of the violent variety that warranted an ejection.
Ronnie Lott could never play today's game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Izyniner:
You avoid the penalty by playing the ball not trying to take out the wr. The ball was overthrown he didn't make a play on it. Gonna draw a foul every time.

This all day. Refs will whip out the flag every time they see a big hit. Be smart play the ball.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I agree. The NFL can solve the CTE problem by converting everything to flag football. Might as well if they are so concerned about CTE.

Lott? Hell, Merton Hanks couldn't play today's game
Originally posted by sacniner:

Lol. It's sad but true.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Lol. It's sad but true.

That's a cop out. The game's been sissified no doubt. However those players would have been able to play because they were smart players. You adjust when your a great player. Was that a good hit by Colbert??? Hell yeah. Was it a stupid hit by Colbert??? Hell yeah. Gotta be smarter you know the deal.

At least before you could just take the 15 and set a tone. Now you can't even set a tone. Got to be physical from the chest down period. NFL is getting ridiculous. Player's union is ridiculous. No hitting all off season. Players aren't conditioned to it. Can't play through injury (unless your Staley playing with a broken face or Mack with a broken leg) anymore. Injuries aren't getting better but seem to be getting worse.

Either way the game is the game great players will adjust. I really like Colbert he has a lot of talent physically. However I've seen a lot of stupid plays the last year plus. Come AC let's go baby now is the time!
[ Edited by IHATELOWELLCOHN on Aug 12, 2019 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

The penalty should have been called. It is the classic defenseless receiver. But the ejection was bogus. My issue was Tim Ryan trying to sell it on the broadcast. He sounded like a fool, saying multiple times it was a hit to the helmet. I think he took too many hits to the helmet He is pretty annoying, and I would be happy if they replaced him next off season.
Share 49ersWebzone