LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 379 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Let's trade this to dude to tricky Dan Snyder for Trent Williams.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
You can see improvements and we will have to see how his season goes. He definitely needs some good plays to build his confidence then start stacking them.

Its been 2 games. What exactly is it that you have seen in the 2 games where you can make a statement like this? Not trying to be a d***, seriously asking.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Its been 2 games. What exactly is it that you have seen in the 2 games where you can make a statement like this? Not trying to be a d***, seriously asking.

Well he got a sack because he didn't give up on the play he was still grinding he could have easily given up on it. Like I said the motor and desire is there it's more he needs to put together the moves to get separation from the block.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

I would be for this but if they do make this type of trade, it would have to be after we play them. You don't want a player to have some sort of animosity towards us that would fuel Redskins to win.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Well he got a sack because he didn't give up on the play he was still grinding he could have easily given up on it. Like I said the motor and desire is there it's more he needs to put together the moves to get separation from the block.

Disagree on your reasons why he got the sack, but thats not the point.

You say "the motor and desire is there." and I agree. But thats not an improvement over last season. That was always the case. You made a claim that you can see improvements. I would like to know what improvements those are.

Again, not trying to be a jerk. I's just like to know what you saw that most of us did not.

We would need to add a 1st round pick. From what I keep hearing that's the asking price. If he would take a 2021 pick then okay.
His biggest asset is hustle. He'll be able to get some sacks when Bosa,Dee and DeFo apply pressure and they force the QB out of the pocket. Hustle is about all he brings to the table. He needs to watch Bosa use his hands to get separated from the OL.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

We would need to add a 1st round pick. From what I keep hearing that's the asking price. If he would take a 2021 pick then okay.

Not with the history with Shanahans. They'd probably ask for 3 1st round picks and Buckner just to f*ck us over.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Chief:
If we had drafted this guy in the 4th or 5th round I would love him.

same. he's a hustler, but he just hasn't been able to make the big plays.

Haven't you heard? It's the coaches' fault.
On the sack it looked like he got pushed way out of the play. Double blocked. The QB was flushed in that general direction and he kept going whereas the two blockers stopped blocking.

Not sure what the stat sheet says but it sure looked like I saw a lot more impact from Ronald Blair than from Solomon Thomas.
[ Edited by hummbabybear_1 on Sep 18, 2019 at 12:38 PM ]

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Chief:
If we had drafted this guy in the 4th or 5th round I would love him.

same. he's a hustler, but he just hasn't been able to make the big plays.

One big play against the Bengals was his third quarter sack when he single-handedly read and interfered with the screen attempt. When Dalton tried to scramble, Thomas came back for the sack, One-man play.
Again, when is it that he played a lot of snaps inside for our coaches to see that he can't do it? He played inside the way Kurt Warner played QB for the Rams in 1998.

That's the point. If he had actually been tried inside and the coaches saw how he performed in games and decided they think he's not good there, that would be one thing.

But that's not what happened.

And as I said, you can't tell anything from "practice." If you could, Frank Gore starts over the horrid Kevan Barlow in 2005 from the beginning. Kurt Warner starts over Tony Banks (and they never sign Trent Green), Corey Dillon starts over Ki-Jana Carter, Tom Brady starts over Drew Bledsoe at least from the start of 01, Terrell Owens starts over J.J. Stokes in 96 before Stokes's injury, Joe Montana starts over Steve DeBerg from the start of 1980, etc.
maybe the lightbulb will finally click for Solomon in Year 5 like it did for Arik Armstead.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
Again, when is it that he played a lot of snaps inside for our coaches to see that he can't do it? He played inside the way Kurt Warner played QB for the Rams in 1998.

That's the point. If he had actually been tried inside and the coaches saw how he performed in games and decided they think he's not good there, that would be one thing.

But that's not what happened.

And as I said, you can't tell anything from "practice." If you could, Frank Gore starts over the horrid Kevan Barlow in 2005 from the beginning. Kurt Warner starts over Tony Banks (and they never sign Trent Green), Corey Dillon starts over Ki-Jana Carter, Tom Brady starts over Drew Bledsoe at least from the start of 01, Terrell Owens starts over J.J. Stokes in 96 before Stokes's injury, Joe Montana starts over Steve DeBerg from the start of 1980, etc.

see post #16062 on page 1071. Read it.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
maybe the lightbulb will finally click for Solomon in Year 5 like it did for Arik Armstead.

I don't think it has anything to do with a lightbulb. It's not like he's a 300 lb speedster that is mentally taking plays off. He's a tweener. Sadly he doesn't have enough foot speed or technique to be an outside rusher and he's too small to be an every down interior lineman. At best he'll be a decent rotational backup in this league. Nothing more...nothing less.

Pettis is a better example of your lightbulb theory. He's a kid that has all the skills. He needs to decide if he has the mental fortitude and strength to succeed.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Sep 19, 2019 at 9:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone