There are 283 users in the forums

Bill Musgrave -- Former Raiders OC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Bill Musgrave's contract with the Raiders is up, and he won't be re-signed. A bit surprising, I thought he did a solid job improving that offense each year he was there. Apparently they are promoting their QB coach to OC.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/10/report-raiders-to-replace-musgrave-with-quarterbacks-coach/

Musgrave could be an OC option for us depending who the HC is. I think he is a solid WCO coordinator. Has been around the scheme for a long time, both as a player and coach. Spent a few years as a backup QB with us in the early-mid 90's.

What do you guys think about him?
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM ]
  • thl408
Not sure why he was let go after helping Carr and that offense become a good squad. Some sort of personality conflict we don't know about? If the 49er HC is Shanny, I can see Musgrave being a possible OC.
Originally posted by thl408:
Not sure why he was let go after helping Carr and that offense become a good squad. Some sort of personality conflict we don't know about? If the 49er HC is Shanny, I can see Musgrave being a possible OC.

That's what I have in mind as well, it would be a nice pairing. Musgrave played under Mike Shanahan in SF and Denver. Could definitely be an option if Kyle gets the job here.
Stupid decision unless he wanted out.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He threw 5 passes as a 49er, I never even remember him getting in a game.
Originally posted by BobS:

Me neither lol. But its worth pointing out his experience in the WCO, as a player and coach, as well as his connection to Shanahan.
He had beef with del rio

Won a Super Bowl on the 94 team if I remember correctly, Was 3rd string behind Grbac
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

Won a Super Bowl on the 94 team if I remember correctly, Was 3rd string behind Grbac

if memory serves me right, he also got in a game during garbage time, changed the play and threw a touchdown. seifert got on his ass for that.
Yeah, no thanks. I dont care how well the Raiders offense did this past season. His play calling is unimaginative and I dont want him. The fact that he couldnt design a single trick play, misdirection or anything against the Texans says all that I need to know about him.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Yeah, no thanks. I dont care how well the Raiders offense did this past season. His play calling is unimaginative and I dont want him. The fact that he couldnt design a single trick play, misdirection or anything against the Texans says all that I need to know about him.
I don't think the QB could have handled those type of plays
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I totally disagree. When you have a quarterback who is struggling, its the job of the OC to call and develop plays that help the QB. Musgrave did not do that. He called an extremely vanilla gameplan which you can tell wasnt working after a drive or 2. Do SOMETHING to help your QB out.

I totally disagree. When you have a quarterback who is struggling, its the job of the OC to call and develop plays that help the QB. Musgrave did not do that. He called an extremely vanilla gameplan which you can tell wasnt working after a drive or 2. Do SOMETHING to help your QB out.
so if the QB cant handle vanilla plays, he's supposed to handle more complex plays ?

Cook suited up i think for the first time and it was the last game of the season, and he got thrown into the game. Just with normal stuff that was called end up looking bad with some bad decisions by cook. throwing him the whole playbook would have made this game even more awful to watch

so if the QB cant handle vanilla plays, he's supposed to handle more complex plays ?

Cook suited up i think for the first time and it was the last game of the season, and he got thrown into the game. Just with normal stuff that was called end up looking bad with some bad decisions by cook. throwing him the whole playbook would have made this game even more awful to watch

Again, I still disagree. You are acting as if this game wasnt awful to watch anyway. I am not saying they should have made him run a complex offense. I am saying since the basic play calls were not working, you need to do SOMETHING to try to get your offense working. Run a trick play. Run misdirections. You know not all of those type of plays require the QB to handle a ton of added elements. Run a reverse. Run a misdirection that could leave a WR wide open in space. There is only so long sideline passes can work. Musgrave stuck with the same gameplan all game long even after it was apparent it wasnt working.

TRY SOMETHING ELSE!

Again, I still disagree. You are acting as if this game wasnt awful to watch anyway. I am not saying they should have made him run a complex offense. I am saying since the basic play calls were not working, you need to do SOMETHING to try to get your offense working. Run a trick play. Run misdirections. You know not all of those type of plays require the QB to handle a ton of added elements. Run a reverse. Run a misdirection that could leave a WR wide open in space. There is only so long sideline passes can work. Musgrave stuck with the same gameplan all game long even after it was apparent it wasnt working.

TRY SOMETHING ELSE!
you can disagree , but cook couldn't even handle a screen pass correctly

there wasn't any issues before.
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 11, 2017 at 5:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone