LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

A ? about Mike and Kyle Shanahan

Shop 49ers game tickets
Kyle for HC
Mike for assistant GM or assistant...something. Idk
Originally posted by FL9er:
It is my opinion that while Mike Shanahan is the best the Yorks could hope for if Kelly is fired, he's a terrible suggestion.

LOL at the idea that RGIII was all Snyder, Shanarat would love for everyone to believe that even though he was the HC/GM of the Redskins.

Er, coaches with GM powers still answer to the owner. As far as meddlesome ownership is concerned, Dan Snyder is the gold standard so this scenario is not at all hard to believe. Something mentioning is that Shanny got RG3 to the Pro Bowl AND drafted the Redskins QB of the future in Cousins, so I don't think I understand your point here.

Even though it didn't work out, the Shanahans are the best thing that ever happened to RG3.

That's indisputable.

Hell, I bet he even wishes he were still playing for them.
It was weird in DC b/c Shanny demanded that they run a 3-4 when Haslett actually thought his players were better suited for the 4-3.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Kyle has been a coordinator for four different franchises and Mike has been around the NFL for over two decades. I'm sure they are well versed in their NFL connections by this point. I'm confident that they would have no problem putting together a respectable staff.

If I was guessing, I'd say that Bobby Turner would come with Kyle as a running backs coach. Hes a long time assistant coach of Mike's that Kyle brought to Atlanta with him. I'd think Matt LaFleur would be a strong candidate for offensive coordinator. Hes worked with Kyle in Houston, Washington, and now Atlanta where he is the QBs coach.

To add to this, I think Mike McDaniel whom was an assistant coach in Houston with Kyle and now in Atlanta, he also was Kyle's receiver coach in Cleveland would be a good bet to follow Kyle to be his receivers coach if Kyle was to get a head coach job.

I was looking at potential defensive coordinators. Other than Mike Shanahan retreads that don't exactly inspire confidence I see current Titans linebacker coach and former UCLA defensive coordinator and long time Dick Lebeau understudy, Lou Spanos was on the same staff in Washington as Kyle. Then there's Raheem Morris whom is friends with Kyle and I read that Kyle helped bring to Atlanta. Morris like Spanos has never been a coordinator at the NFL level and switched to the offensive side of the ball this year, but was head coach of the Bucs. I doubt Atlanta would let Morris out of his contract though. Even though in looking, Kyle is tied to several Atlanta coaches and was probably responsible for bringing several of them there, he wont just get free reign to take who he pleases with him out of that staff. He would probably get to take LaFleur for offensive coordinator because LaFleur has been with Kyle through three different organizations and I don't think Dan Quinn would stop LaFleur from getting a coordinator nod. Bobby Turner has worked with the Shanahans for 20 years so Quinn would probably let him go because of Turner's loyalty with them and McDaniel would get a nod from assistant to position coach and it's rare to see a team stop an assistant or quality control level coach from leaving to a position coach somewhere. I think that shows a good feel of who some of Kyle's offensive assistants might be.

I think for his defensive coordinator, it'd potentially be someone he may not be tied to like a veteran defensive coordinator like a Gus Bradley or someone. I think Kyle would want somebody with defensive coordinator experience that he could entrust to have a bit of autonomy on that side of the ball. That's just a guess though. There's my two cents.

Great reads and makes a lot of sense. I think Kyle would be able to put together a very respectable staff and Gus Bradley could very well be in play as the DC. I think his HC gig is done as I highly doubt anyone else hires him for that position so it's back to being a DC and a fresh start on a young team with loads of money and early picks might be what the doctor ordered.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
[ Edited by LVJay on Dec 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
It was weird in DC b/c Shanny demanded that they run a 3-4 when Haslett actually thought his players were better suited for the 4-3.

All I needed to know was Haslett... him and O'Neil are hot garbage
I enjoyed watching that. If the Yorks wanted to fix this mess that combo with a top defensive coordinator would do it. Add fisher to that pair. Get Jimmy G and add Chad Kelly or a 3rd round equivalent and this could fix fast.
[ Edited by justjim77 on Dec 21, 2016 at 2:51 PM ]
Jed will still be the CEO but hopefully out of the football side. You bring in Mike Shanahan to be the VP in charge of football operation and establish credibility around the league again. Then he brings in a GM like Pioli or the junior Wolf. You hire Kyle to be the HC.
I'd like to see Fangio be the DC again if he becomes available.
Other possibilities could be Bowles or Pettine.
Originally posted by jobiwon:
Jed will still be the CEO but hopefully out of the football side. You bring in Mike Shanahan to be the VP in charge of football operation and establish credibility around the league again. Then he brings in a GM like Pioli or the junior Wolf. You hire Kyle to be the HC.
I'd like to see Fangio be the DC again if he becomes available.
Other possibilities could be Bowles or Pettine.

Fangio #1
Pettine #2
Fisher #3
Bowles #4

has Kyle had success with a back like Hyde?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Kyle for HC

Mike - Head of Football Operations
Kyle - Head Coach

Let's go!!
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Kyle has been a coordinator for four different franchises and Mike has been around the NFL for over two decades. I'm sure they are well versed in their NFL connections by this point. I'm confident that they would have no problem putting together a respectable staff.

If I was guessing, I'd say that Bobby Turner would come with Kyle as a running backs coach. Hes a long time assistant coach of Mike's that Kyle brought to Atlanta with him. I'd think Matt LaFleur would be a strong candidate for offensive coordinator. Hes worked with Kyle in Houston, Washington, and now Atlanta where he is the QBs coach.

To add to this, I think Mike McDaniel whom was an assistant coach in Houston with Kyle and now in Atlanta, he also was Kyle's receiver coach in Cleveland would be a good bet to follow Kyle to be his receivers coach if Kyle was to get a head coach job.

I was looking at potential defensive coordinators. Other than Mike Shanahan retreads that don't exactly inspire confidence I see current Titans linebacker coach and former UCLA defensive coordinator and long time Dick Lebeau understudy, Lou Spanos was on the same staff in Washington as Kyle. Then there's Raheem Morris whom is friends with Kyle and I read that Kyle helped bring to Atlanta. Morris like Spanos has never been a coordinator at the NFL level and switched to the offensive side of the ball this year, but was head coach of the Bucs. I doubt Atlanta would let Morris out of his contract though. Even though in looking, Kyle is tied to several Atlanta coaches and was probably responsible for bringing several of them there, he wont just get free reign to take who he pleases with him out of that staff. He would probably get to take LaFleur for offensive coordinator because LaFleur has been with Kyle through three different organizations and I don't think Dan Quinn would stop LaFleur from getting a coordinator nod. Bobby Turner has worked with the Shanahans for 20 years so Quinn would probably let him go because of Turner's loyalty with them and McDaniel would get a nod from assistant to position coach and it's rare to see a team stop an assistant or quality control level coach from leaving to a position coach somewhere. I think that shows a good feel of who some of Kyle's offensive assistants might be.

I think for his defensive coordinator, it'd potentially be someone he may not be tied to like a veteran defensive coordinator like a Gus Bradley or someone. I think Kyle would want somebody with defensive coordinator experience that he could entrust to have a bit of autonomy on that side of the ball. That's just a guess though. There's my two cents.

Great reads and makes a lot of sense. I think Kyle would be able to put together a very respectable staff and Gus Bradley could very well be in play as the DC. I think his HC gig is done as I highly doubt anyone else hires him for that position so it's back to being a DC and a fresh start on a young team with loads of money and early picks might be what the doctor ordered.

Thanks. I think he could put together a good staff as well. Between both of the Shanahans, there's no doubt they know plenty of people. Right now, this organization needs that. People that are respected within the NFL community. People that have some NFL connections.

If an organization can attract good coaches than it's plausible to believe it can attract good players as well. Most players and coaches want the same thing... stability. If the Yorks fire Chip then they simply continue to prove one thing, they're clueless. I mean that in the aspect that they now would have turned over three consecutive coaches for three consecutive years. Thats a clear indication that an ownership has no clue what it's doing or how to sustain a winning culture. They chase you out if you win but not their way. They chase you out if you lose. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't. So turning their football operations over to someone else, would atleast show their trying to adhere to more savy football brains than themselves and would allow them to kinda save face on the Chip Kelly firing.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 22, 2016 at 4:42 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Kyle for HC

Mike - Head of Football Operations
Kyle - Head Coach

Let's go!!

Maybe ShanaRat can get Cousins to tag along too...

"You always need a good QB, but I think you need a great defense. I think you can adjust your offense if you have a great defense."

This man should be hired right now. Or kidnap Chip Kelly and Chinese water torture the s**t out of him until he's brainwashed enough to figure this out... It's the prime reason Chip is a college coach and not a real NFL coach. One scheme regardless of his players, regardless of the team he's playing against... Building a team around a scheme is b******t. Look at the Pats, who change their scheme based on the talent they have on the field, and win every year.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Dec 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone