There are 139 users in the forums

A ? about Mike and Kyle Shanahan

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
They blow it up again and the York's become Daniel Snyder West, without the quarterback. I know I'm in the minority but the Gamble-Chip could succeed.

I'm in favor of sticking with Chip and Gamble if Jed remains in control. But if they bring in a legitimate team president with a strong football background, all bets are off, that person should be allowed to bring in whoever the hell they want.
What do the Yorks have against Mike Shanahan? Not arguing for or against him but there's seems to be a real refusal to even consider him in any capacity. Did he slap Jed as a baby or something?
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Dec 12, 2016 at 7:21 PM ]
They interviewed him last year.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
i hope you're right, but I just don't see that happening. The Yorks pockets are far more important to them than their public image.

I think repeatedly seeing photos of a half empty brand new stadium being posted everywhere and thinking about how much money youre losing out on concessions and other things really catches your attention.

They will make an absurd amount of money eitherway but you get to a point where losing really does start costing you $$$$.

did you see the stands yesterday during the OT coin flip? They were almost 50% full!

Here's some photos.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-levis-stadium-is-depressingly-empty-for-jets-49ers-fire-baalke-banner-flown/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

I just don't see how John and Denise York can let it carry on like this in the long run. Just can't see it.

I am still holding out hope something will happen. I am sure a lot of conflicting reports will come out as we edge closer to the end of the season. Just have to wait and see.
Kyle has been a coordinator for four different franchises and Mike has been around the NFL for over two decades. I'm sure they are well versed in their NFL connections by this point. I'm confident that they would have no problem putting together a respectable staff.

If I was guessing, I'd say that Bobby Turner would come with Kyle as a running backs coach. Hes a long time assistant coach of Mike's that Kyle brought to Atlanta with him. I'd think Matt LaFleur would be a strong candidate for offensive coordinator. Hes worked with Kyle in Houston, Washington, and now Atlanta where he is the QBs coach.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 12, 2016 at 11:05 PM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
They blow it up again and the York's become Daniel Snyder West, without the quarterback. I know I'm in the minority but the Gamble-Chip could succeed.

I'm in favor of sticking with Chip and Gamble if Jed remains in control. But if they bring in a legitimate team president with a strong football background, all bets are off, that person should be allowed to bring in whoever the hell they want.

I couldn't agree more Phoenix. With us already being on coach number three in a three year span, I think that's the best and really only way that the organization would save face on firing yet again another coach.
  • NM16
  • Veteran
Are we even sure Kyle wants to come here? When did this shanahan scenario even come into play? Seems like a fantasy scenario of some sort with no legit sources laying around
Originally posted by NM16:
Are we even sure Kyle wants to come here? When did this shanahan scenario even come into play? Seems like a fantasy scenario of some sort with no legit sources laying around

In my opinion, I think it's just a bit of speculation that has caught a little bit of fire. I think Baalke will get fired and the likeliest of scenarios is that Gamble will get the promotion and return with Chip. After firing Tomsula after only one season, I don't see the team moving on from Chip after only a year as well.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
i hope you're right, but I just don't see that happening. The Yorks pockets are far more important to them than their public image.

I think repeatedly seeing photos of a half empty brand new stadium being posted everywhere and thinking about how much money youre losing out on concessions and other things really catches your attention.

They will make an absurd amount of money eitherway but you get to a point where losing really does start costing you $$$$.

Especially when you just built the damn thing.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

In my opinion, I think it's just a bit of speculation that has caught a little bit of fire. I think Baalke will get fired and the likeliest of scenarios is that Gamble will get the promotion and return with Chip. After firing Tomsula after only one season, I don't see the team moving on from Chip after only a year as well.

Raiders are the closest I could think of doing something like that. In '07, '08 and 2011 with Art shell one year, Lane Kiffin getting a year and a half and Hue Jackson fired after only one year too. They went through some really s**tty times before stumbling upon Del Rio. I think Kelly will most likely get another year (which of course I'd be against) but on very thin ice, especially if this continues into next season which I wouldn't doubt.

I think they really screwed the pooch when they hired Kelly over Shanahan. I think his offense could mask the QB's weaknesses with his screens, play action and creative run game, pretty much keeping the defense on its toes. I miss seeing that type of offense, WCO roots.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Raiders are the closest I could think of doing something like that. In '07, '08 and 2011 with Art shell one year, Lane Kiffin getting a year and a half and Hue Jackson fired after only one year too. They went through some really s**tty times before stumbling upon Del Rio. I think Kelly will most likely get another year (which of course I'd be against) but on very thin ice, especially if this continues into next season which I wouldn't doubt.

I think they really screwed the pooch when they hired Kelly over Shanahan. I think his offense could mask the QB's weaknesses with his screens, play action and creative run game, pretty much keeping the defense on its toes. I miss seeing that type of offense, WCO roots.

Yeah, I was really disappointed in the Kelly hire. I was really worried about his ability to put together a complete staff with no coaching or playing experience in the NFL predating his 2013 debut with the Eagles. That still seems to be a valid concern almost a year later.

I think the 49ers wanted to go for a splash signing after the Tomsula flop. Even after three years in the league I would agree that Kelly still had that mysterious aura about him and whether his offense could sustain NFL success. I think the team's thought process back then is that Kelly could generate enough buzz to reinvigorate some interest back into the team.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 13, 2016 at 12:01 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yeah, I was really disappointed in the Kelly hire. I was really worried about his ability to put together a complete staff with no coaching or playing experience in the NFL predating his 2013 debut with the Eagles. That still seems to be a valid concern almost a year later.

I think the 49ers wanted to go for a splash signing after the Tomsula flop. Even after three years in the league I would agree that Kelly still had that mysterious aura about him and whether his offense could sustain NFL success. I think the team's thought process back then is that Kelly could generate enough buzz to reinvigorate some interest back into the team.

Kelly was clearly a plan B or you could argue even a plan C. I mean after that whole Sean Payton fiasco fell through the focus turned to Mike Shanahan before interviewing Kelly but still heavily in negotiations with Shanahan, Then when the Shanny plan fell through, they then revert right back to Kelly. Then the hype of Kaepernick in a Kelly offense began to grow, then Kap comes through with this kneeling b******t and from what I remember it was all downhill from there. I think if Shanny was hired in the first place Kap would've been gone and the focus of the team would've been elsewhere. That's all water under the bridge now and once again the Yorks have a chance to fix things by making a REAL statement, hmmm what could that possibly be!!!
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
don't matter. you're getting Gamble and Chip next year.

That is the greatest possibility given the nature of the York beast and entirely reconcilable given their precedent of past decision making.

I think it will all come down to if any major meltdown occurs at the York Family Christmas Lunch.

Oh to be a fly on the wall
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Kelly was clearly a plan B or you could argue even a plan C. I mean after that whole Sean Payton fiasco fell through the focus turned to Mike Shanahan before interviewing Kelly but still heavily in negotiations with Shanahan, Then when the Shanny plan fell through, they then revert right back to Kelly. Then the hype of Kaepernick in a Kelly offense began to grow, then Kap comes through with this kneeling b******t and from what I remember it was all downhill from there. I think if Shanny was hired in the first place Kap would've been gone and the focus of the team would've been elsewhere. That's all water under the bridge now and once again the Yorks have a chance to fix things by making a REAL statement, hmmm what could that possibly be!!!

Why didn't Mike Shanahan get the job? Why did the negotiations fall through?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Goatie:

Why didn't Mike Shanahan get the job? Why did the negotiations fall through?

The rumor was that Shanahan didn't want Kap as his QB.
Share 49ersWebzone