There are 181 users in the forums

Todd Bowles

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/status/1079155522610245632?s=09

He is guessing: "I would fully assume that Bowles would be a "favorite" to replace him. "
If 9ers want Bowles as DC they should be able to lock him up before Fangio ever even gets an interview let alone a gig.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by communist:
It's a great year to be Mike McCarthy.
Don't think so. Unless you assume that Rosen and Darnold are diamonds in the making.

In terms of being the most attractive candidate on the market.
That's probably the first and last time McCarthy has ever been described as attractive.
Just kidding, I know what you were saying.
Originally posted by Sourball:
It's a great year to be Mike McCarthy.
Don't think so. Unless you assume that Rosen and Darnold are diamonds in the making.

In terms of being the most attractive candidate on the market.
That's probably the first and last time McCarthy has ever been described as attractive.
Just kidding, I know what you were saying.

LMAO.
  • dj43
I'm not excited about a change of defensive scheme. Bowles runs a 3-4. I've only seen them play twice this season but it did not look much like what Saleh is running.

Anybody have more insight into how he runs it?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
I'm not excited about a change of defensive scheme. Bowles runs a 3-4. I've only seen them play twice this season but it did not look much like what Saleh is running.

Sounds like he adapts to his personnel and opponent, an amazing concept.

https://thejetpress.com/2016/07/03/new-york-jets-breaking-defensive-scheme-fronts/
Originally posted by Furlow:

Sounds like he adapts to his personnel and opponent, an amazing concept.

https://thejetpress.com/2016/07/03/new-york-jets-breaking-defensive-scheme-fronts/

In terms of being a game day playcaller on defense, it's like having a KS on defense. He would be a slam dunk hire if we went after him.
Kyle might be too loyal to Saleh to hire Bowles
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Kyle might be too loyal to Saleh to hire Bowles

This ^
At least for one more year.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Apparently, if Vic Fangio gets a HC job, Bowles is a favorite to replace him.

Man **** the Bears. Literally everything I've wanted the 49ers to do for the last year the Bears have actually done

Don't forget the Lance Briggs tampering fiasco when Nolan was the head coach.

He runs a pretty chaotic hybrid 3-4 with largely man coverage. Lots of blitzing and and an overall aggressive approach to defense that produces a lot of sacks and turnovers.

The crucial aspect for his scheme are two capable corners that can hold up on an island and strong interior DL play.

These are comments he made a decade ago when being considered for the Lions job.

"You can have a hybrid version of a 4-3 until you can get a 3-4 scheme in place. I've coached in the 4-3, too, so if Ernie (Sims) or (Cliff) Avril don't fit a 3-4, we'll play a 4-3," Bowles said.

Finding the right personnel, not just for the defense but for the entire roster, is something Bowles said he learned from Bill Parcells, the legendary NFL coach who hired Bowles in Dallas and Miami.
The 49ers have invested two full years into Saleh and his system, no way they hire Bowles now. Not to mention Kyle is smart enough not to hire his potential replacement, if things dont turn around of course.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Yeah...ian rapaport confirmed..he's getting canned..49ERS BETTER BE THERE WITH A LOAD OF CASH
Originally posted by dmax:
Yeah...ian rapaport confirmed..he's getting canned..49ERS BETTER BE THERE WITH A LOAD OF CASH
But we won't be there. The defensive side is built towards zone coverage.
At the end of the day Bowles will try to implement a man - oriented DB-scheme.

Unless the FO is convinced that it has to look for a bunch of new DBs anyway, the hire won't happen imho.
Originally posted by dmax:
But we won't be there. The defensive side is built towards zone coverage.
At the end of the day Bowles will try to implement a man - oriented DB-scheme.

Unless the FO is convinced that it has to look for a bunch of new DBs anyway, the hire won't happen imho.

Cover 3 is both man and zone and physical jamming at times. Bowles is smart enough to adapt. He'd probably instantly recognize Sherman can lock down one side (two = most ideal for any scheme) and roll coverage to the weaker side and still design a free rusher on most plays.

Saleh plays the same exact way every time and just expects execution. Like he said recently, we just try to make them go 12 plays knowing they're likely to make a mistake at some point.

So, we believe that if you take 12 plays and go score a touchdown, something is going to happen in our favor and you can't do it over and over and over again throughout the course of a game.

Bowles is, "Eff that! We don't sit back...we'll attack you, dictate you and create turnovers and big plays that change a game."

Bowles doesn't run the defense as the HC but much of this philosophy persists. They've got 20 takeaways compared to our 7. When he's the sole DC, he's always hovered around 30 and a top 5 takeaway team and leader in sacks.

That's what this league is all about now...imagine Garoppolo with 20-30 turnovers a year plus a number of quick 3 and outs and great field position.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 30, 2018 at 8:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone