There are 218 users in the forums

Todd Bowles

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I can already see where this is headed, Bowles gets fired, goes to another team and the webzone melts down.

Thing is we won't nearly be the only team in the running, and are one of the worst options for him.

For a start most coaches like some familiarity, either someone they've worked with or part of the same tree, we don't have that.

Looking at the roster his first priority would likely be good man cover cb's, we haven't got any, second would be edge rushers, we haven't got any.

Then finally he'd be taking a pay cut so why would he want to pay the most for housing, tax and cost of living?

The question isn't really, do we want Bowles, it's would Bowles want us.

Well he'd still be making HC money if he got fired - so the COL argument doesn't make sense. There's also only 32 teams in the NFL, you can be picky to a point.

Bowles, Pettine, Pagano, Del Rio, Joseph, Martindale, and Marinelli may all be available in the offseason. We should be able to find a new DC within that list.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
right and he was hand picked by Bowles was he not?
They were together on the staff in Miami.

And that matters how? Wade Phillips was a lousy HC but he can be my DC any day of the week.

That'd be like Shanahan turning over playcalling to Mike McDaniel and the offense suddenly taking a nosedive. That wouldn't suddenly make Shanahan a bad OC.

Bowles might not be a particularly good HC but years of film show that he is a very creative and aggressive defensive coordinator.

Playcalling is a talent. It isn't transferable. Bill Walsh called Marc Trestman his finest pupil and said that he understood his offense like no one else. We saw how much that helped him in Chicago. You can have a complete mastery of something and still not have the wherewithal to apply it properly. You can study the greatest chess moves for a decade and still suck at chess.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. At the same time,but my point is that by Bowles hand picking his DC, that decision is on him as well, as the performance of the DC. Just like Kyle handpicking Saleh.
Trestman had Cutler as his QB, so it's not like he had a real chance to begin with.
Also I think Bowles is a decent HC. I just don't think he will end up here, and many of you will be incredibly disappointed when Saleh is still the DC next year.
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Nov 14, 2018 at 8:19 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Sign him
Del rio woulld be dope
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jcs:
Saleh is going to be Kyles Greg Roman and the reason why he won't finish his 6 year deal.

Please, please, no. I can't go through that ordeal again.

And then spend the next two years arguing about whose fault it was!
At this point KS is going to be pretty forgettable so I doubt we'll argue about it.
KS going into year three and no signs of progress on the defensive side. I say he'd be open to it, especially seeing all the alumni all over the field on game day. Only question is, is our lapses in player assignment more on the coach than the player? If its the player then we'll have even more problems. Bowles defense kicks it up a notch but according to this, he adapts to players strengths as opposed to scheme: https://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/13/7537863/everything-you-need-to-know-about-todd-bowles-defense

[ Edited by Hawaii49er on Nov 14, 2018 at 6:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
KS going into year three and no signs of progress on the defensive side. I say he'd be open to it, especially seeing all the alumni all over the field on game day. Only question is, is our lapses in player assignment more on the coach than the player? If its the player then we'll have even more problems. Bowles defense kicks it up a notch but according to this, he adapts to players strengths as opposed to scheme: https://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/13/7537863/everything-you-need-to-know-about-todd-bowles-defense

Kyle came home. Todd can come home too.
right and he was hand picked by Bowles was he not?
They were together on the staff in Miami.

And that matters how? Wade Phillips was a lousy HC but he can be my DC any day of the week.

That'd be like Shanahan turning over playcalling to Mike McDaniel and the offense suddenly taking a nosedive. That wouldn't suddenly make Shanahan a bad OC.

Bowles might not be a particularly good HC but years of film show that he is a very creative and aggressive defensive coordinator.

Playcalling is a talent. It isn't transferable. Bill Walsh called Marc Trestman his finest pupil and said that he understood his offense like no one else. We saw how much that helped him in Chicago. You can have a complete mastery of something and still not have the wherewithal to apply it properly. You can study the greatest chess moves for a decade and still suck at chess.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. At the same time,but my point is that by Bowles hand picking his DC, that decision is on him as well, as the performance of the DC. Just like Kyle handpicking Saleh.
Trestman had Cutler as his QB, so it's not like he had a real chance to begin with.
Also I think Bowles is a decent HC. I just don't think he will end up here, and many of you will be incredibly disappointed when Saleh is still the DC next year.

Bill Walsh handpicked Terry Donahue. It doesn't suddenly make him a bad GM. I'm also assuming he picked Giovanni Carmazzi over the only QB I'd consider putting over Joe Montana. That doesn't make Walsh suddenly a bad evaluator of QBs.

Trestman also wasn't exactly....the greatest OC in his prior NFL stints. As for the Bowles thing, none of us are the ones making the calls and doing the interviews, so i won't go bonkers if he doesn't end up here. Nothing for us to lose sleep over. But it would be nice if we had a guy who understood defensive play calling as well as Kyle Shanahan understands offensive play calling.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:

Kyle came home. Todd can come home too.

Almost all of our defensive players are having these lapses though. On the flip side, KS is putting together an offense with duct tape and string, far less draft capital, talent, etc.
Bowles would be a huge upgrade, probably would be the best hire in kyles era. Essentialy gives him a second HC and a proven record of producing a good defense.

Go all in for him!
[ Edited by 49erfaninAZ on Nov 15, 2018 at 7:36 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
LaCanfora floating the rumor of him going back to AZ if fired.
Originally posted by FL9er:

49ers lose to the cardinals again!

So he's definitely not going back to Arizona then huh?

So he's definitely not going back to Arizona then huh?

Didit. Didit.didit...new flash from NFL rumor mill....Todd Bowles is in the running for a job in offseason. But not as a DC but as HC. Just rumored on NFL network, and no confirmation with Scheter, et al, but his name is being bounced around as HC...not just DC.

So we may be S.O. L when it comes to Bowles coming here as DC, when he very well may be in the running as HC. Our DC position doesn't look so hot compared to a HC job elsewhere. damn, I won't say i hope that isnt true, because if he snags a HC job, good for him. It does make it a little bit harder to snag him here as DC if HC job is in the wind. Still , delRio, Ron Rivera and the usual other suspects are possibilities.

I still wonder why NO ONE here has any interest in DCs at Clemson and Bama, two of the best Ds in college the last couple yrs. Oh, and then there is still Urban out there...
Share 49ersWebzone