There are 141 users in the forums

Todd Bowles

Originally posted by GMniner805:
The 49ers have invested two full years into Saleh and his system, no way they hire Bowles now. Not to mention Kyle is smart enough not to hire his potential replacement, if things dont turn around of course.

His replacement? LOL. As a HC Bowles couldn't hold Shanahan's jock. There is a reason Shanahan had a six year contract: the roster he inherited was horrible and was not going to be fixed in two off-seasons without incredibly good luck (which we have not had).

This narrative you imply about Shanahan's job being in jeopardy is laughably foolish. Shanahan is without question the best HC the 49ers have had since Bill Walsh. Bowles "replacing" Shanahan would be a substantial downgrade and set the 49ers organization back many more years.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by GMniner805:
The 49ers have invested two full years into Saleh and his system, no way they hire Bowles now. Not to mention Kyle is smart enough not to hire his potential replacement, if things dont turn around of course.

His replacement? LOL. As a HC Bowles couldn't hold Shanahan's jock. There is a reason Shanahan had a six year contract: the roster he inherited was horrible and was not going to be fixed in two off-seasons without incredibly good luck (which we have not had).

This narrative you imply about Shanahan's job being in jeopardy is laughably foolish. Shanahan is without question the best HC the 49ers have had since Bill Walsh. Bowles "replacing" Shanahan would be a substantial downgrade and set the 49ers organization back many more years.

And keep in mind Kyle originally wanted Vic Fangio, who too, might be a HC candidate now himself...he was targeting Bradley, Phillips, etc. Kyle wants a peace of mind on that side of the ball and he certainly isn't worried about his job security as HC. A better DC actually gives him MORE job security.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
His replacement? LOL. As a HC Bowles couldn't hold Shanahan's jock. There is a reason Shanahan had a six year contract: the roster he inherited was horrible and was not going to be fixed in two off-seasons without incredibly good luck (which we have not had).

This narrative you imply about Shanahan's job being in jeopardy is laughably foolish. Shanahan is without question the best HC the 49ers have had since Bill Walsh. Bowles "replacing" Shanahan would be a substantial downgrade and set the 49ers organization back many more years.

The bold is laughably foolish reality says otherwise. Kyle is 10-21, thats worse than Singletarys first two seasons and if he loses today his record will be worse than Nolan's . The best HC the 49ers have had since Bill Walsh posted a record of 44-19-1.
Thats hilarious, just realized Shannys aleady lost more games than Harbs in his first 2 seasons

At this rate Shanahan wont hit 44 wins over his entire six year contract
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Dec 30, 2018 at 9:08 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
And keep in mind Kyle originally wanted Vic Fangio, who too, might be a HC candidate now himself...he was targeting Bradley, Phillips, etc. Kyle wants a peace of mind on that side of the ball and he certainly isn't worried about his job security as HC. A better DC actually gives him MORE job security.

Then how do you explain Kyle not even having one experienced HC on his staff?? Seems to me like he knew he was a rookie HC and didnt want to bring in anyone that could challenge his authority. Thats why he hired a puppet GM.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Dec 30, 2018 at 9:21 AM ]
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by NCommand:
And keep in mind Kyle originally wanted Vic Fangio, who too, might be a HC candidate now himself...he was targeting Bradley, Phillips, etc. Kyle wants a peace of mind on that side of the ball and he certainly isn't worried about his job security as HC. A better DC actually gives him MORE job security.

Than how do you explain Kyle not even having one experienced HC on his staff?? Seems to me like he knew he was a rookie HC and didnt want to bring in anyone that could challenge his authority. Thats why he hired a puppet GM.

All of his offensive staff are experienced. It's the defensive staff that's not. He had to hire Saleh way way down the list because of the late start to his HCing career. The experienced guys he inquired about were blocked (Fangio) or secured their own jobs before the Superbowl was even played.

But, he could have replaced him last year and didn't. He probably won't this year either. That will be telling.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 30, 2018 at 9:20 AM ]
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 29,201
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dj43:
I'm not excited about a change of defensive scheme. Bowles runs a 3-4. I've only seen them play twice this season but it did not look much like what Saleh is running.

Anybody have more insight into how he runs it?


He runs a pretty chaotic hybrid 3-4 with largely man coverage. Lots of blitzing and and an overall aggressive approach to defense that produces a lot of sacks and turnovers.

The crucial aspect for his scheme are two capable corners that can hold up on an island and strong interior DL play.

These are comments he made a decade ago when being considered for the Lions job.

"You can have a hybrid version of a 4-3 until you can get a 3-4 scheme in place. I've coached in the 4-3, too, so if Ernie (Sims) or (Cliff) Avril don't fit a 3-4, we'll play a 4-3," Bowles said.

Finding the right personnel, not just for the defense but for the entire roster, is something Bowles said he learned from Bill Parcells, the legendary NFL coach who hired Bowles in Dallas and Miami.
That was pretty much what I observed in the games I saw. It didn't seem like there was any particular "system." That may not always be a bad thing as offenses will be guessing. Of course, the more diverse/complex a system becomes, the more opportunities for mistakes by the defense.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Thats hilarious, just realized Shannys aleady lost more games than Harbs in his first 2 seasons

At this rate Shanahan wont hit 44 wins over his entire six year contract

If you believe Harbaugh could score 13 points a game with Nick Mullens at qb you haven't been paying any attention. If Harbaugh was in charge of this team the #1 pick would've been locked up 2 weeks ago.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 29,201
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Thats hilarious, just realized Shannys aleady lost more games than Harbs in his first 2 seasons

At this rate Shanahan wont hit 44 wins over his entire six year contract
Of course you are completely ignoring the context of the quality of the roster when KS took over.

For comparison, go check Bill Walsh's W/L record his first two years with the 49ers.

I'll save you the time. Walsh was 8-24. Assuming the 49ers lose today, KS will be 10-22. I guess that means Walsh was junk.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
If you believe Harbaugh could score 13 points a game with Nick Mullens at qb you haven't been paying any attention. If Harbaugh was in charge of this team the #1 pick would've been locked up 2 weeks ago.

Cool story, except Harbaugh never had a losing season. Id bet Harbaugh could win with this roster, especially with all the close games Shanny choked away.

And if you think 13 points a game is good with any QB conversation ends there.

^ Dude's losing credibility fast with Harbaugh references.



Did I do that right?
Originally posted by dj43:
Of course you are completely ignoring the context of the quality of the roster when KS took over.

For comparison, go check Bill Walsh's W/L record his first two years with the 49ers.

I'll save you the time. Walsh was 8-24. Assuming the 49ers lose today, KS will be 10-22. I guess that means Walsh was junk.

IMO comparing KS to Walsh until hes actually turned the 49ers around is silly. Thats no easy task that just magically happens after 2 awful seasons. At the moment hes more comparable to Singletary or Nolan.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Cool story, except Harbaugh never had a losing season. Id bet Harbaugh could win with this roster, especially with all the close games Shanny choked away.

And if you think 13 points a game is good with any QB conversation ends there.

He had a couple at Stanford. You know the last time he was actually part of a rebuild. Hell right now he's 1-9 against top 10 teams at Michigan.

It's not good. That's my point. Shanny is getting more than 13 a game out of Nick. It'd be Jim Hostler level offense if we still had Roman and Harbaugh here with Nick.
Originally posted by NCommand:
^ Dude's losing credibility fast with Harbaugh references.



Did I do that right?

Credibility with who, you?? ill live.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by NCommand:
^ Dude's losing credibility fast with Harbaugh references.



Did I do that right?

Credibility with who, you?? ill live.

Good, we'd hate to lose you!
Share 49erswebzone