LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

Jabrill Peppers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by okdkid:
The hype that Peppers gets is less about his ability to play competent defense at the NFL level, and more about a college highlight reel. The problem is he is a man without a home and for a defensive player requires a lot of projection. SS is not a premium position. He does not generate turnovers. But he has great athleticism and can be a jack of all trades. That is not good enough to be a top 10 pick.

I understand the hype -- but if you're considering drafting him in the top 10 you need to judge him against top 10 expectations.

He's one of the smartest players on the team. I wouldn't be worried about his defensive competence. lol

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/10/29/michigan-wolverines-jabrill-peppers-offense-defense/74785214/

He also has something you can't teach. A motor that doesn't stop. Remember when the 49ers had players like that, that was neat.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, nor a bad prospect. I'm saying if you hold him up through the lens of a top 10 pick -- he doesn't fit the bill.
I'm not saying he's a bad player, nor a bad prospect. I'm saying if you hold him up through the lens of a top 10 pick -- he doesn't fit the bill.

That's your opinion and I have read a few scouts say the same thing. I would normally say Peppers will be he best defensive player in the draft but with Garrett he is the second best
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

That's your opinion and I have read a few scouts say the same thing. I would normally say Peppers will be he best defensive player in the draft but with Garrett he is the second best

No love for...

Jonathan Allen
Marlon Humphrey
Malik McDowell
Derek Barnett

all these guys are playing lights out as well.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

No love for...

Jonathan Allen
Marlon Humphrey
Malik McDowell
Derek Barnett

all these guys are playing lights out as well.

I'm never going to be sold on a Alabama defensive prospect again. It's a personal thing. Been fooled to many times. I do love McDowell as I've stated before I like him better than AA and Buckner in college. Not an insult to our boys I just think McDowell is better. And due to Garrett I have a hard time looking at Edge Rusher in this class and comparing them. I just think Peppers will be special in the pros. He was one of the best High School players. He's one of the best college players. I'm just following the trend.
I'm never going to be sold on a Alabama defensive prospect again. It's a personal thing. Been fooled to many times. I do love McDowell as I've stated before I like him better than AA and Buckner in college. Not an insult to our boys I just think McDowell is better. And due to Garrett I have a hard time looking at Edge Rusher in this class and comparing them. I just think Peppers will be special in the pros. He was one of the best High School players. He's one of the best college players. I'm just following the trend.

Gotcha I agree with everything. I do think Barnett is a very very good edged rusher in his own right
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

I think people put too much stock in saying a player is or isn't top 5 or top 10 worthy. Good players can be great if they are in the right situation.

Check out the 2007 draft. 9 pro bowlers and 4 or 5 potential HOFers went in the top 20 picks.
Megatron #2, Joe Thomas #3, L Landry #6, AP #7, Patrick Willis #11, M Lynch #12, Revis #14, L Timmons #15, M Griffin #19
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/11/nfl_scouts_rave_about_michigans_jabrill_peppers_of.html

"He's unbelievable,'' a top college scout for a NFC team said. "He can do everything. He can be whatever you want him to be. He might be the next Charles Woodson.''

"He can be that good,'' the scout continued. "I'd start him out at cornerback. If you want to move him to safety, you could do that. He can play offense, too. He might actually be able to play both ways for you.''

An executive in personnel for another NFC team was just as impressed with Peppers.

"He's a top five pick in my mind,'' he said. "He's unbelievable. He's the most versatile player I've ever scouted. He does it all for (Michigan). I think at our level, he's a safety, he reminds me of (former Steelers great) Troy Polamalu. I don't think I'd use him on offense. He could be a good return man for you, though.

"What he is, is just a phenomenal athlete. But he's more than that, because he's tough and he's smart, too.''

A third scout also thinks Peppers would be best at safety in the NFL, but one that a defense could utilize in a variety of ways.

"He's better than Jalen Ramsey (the No. 5 overall pick of the 2016 draft by the Jaguars), so there's that,'' the scout said. "He's a safety, but you can match him up if you want. He can take on the better tight ends, (the Redskins') Jordan Reed man to man. You can put him in the slot. You can blitz him, play him deep. He's going to be a difference maker for a defense.''

Dont say I never told ya

Some still don't understand but you will though..
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Nov 11, 2016 at 4:11 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/11/12/13605792/jabrill-peppers-2017-nfl-draft-rumors-49ers
Holy s**t peppers actually got a INT first of his career

Some people want us to take him #2 overall

Originally posted by Sims19849ers:

That's crazy talk lol

That's crazy talk lol

Helluva athlete but not a defensive playmaker at the corner position that would warrant the #2 overall pick...no way in hell
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

That's crazy talk lol

A top 5 player at #2???? Insanity!!!!!
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
A top 5 player at #2???? Insanity!!!!!

Yeah he'd make a huge difference for this team...we already have a bunch of safeties that don't create turnovers lol.
Helluva athlete but not a defensive playmaker at the corner position that would warrant the #2 overall pick...no way in hell

Not even close I'd rather take hooker if we want a ball hawk safety he's got 6 INTs this yr including 1 today.
Share 49ersWebzone