There are 154 users in the forums

Jabrill Peppers

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Man that just makes too much sense

Ward is a ball hawk FS and it showed in college. Something is gonna have to give with Bethea getting the boot after this season (he's played like crap).

Reid at SS, Ward FS, Robinson and someone like A.J. Bouye in FA then throw Redmond in the slot (along with DJ, Reaser, and rookie DB) that's a solid secondary.

Throw in Myles at pass rush with Lynch opposite of him, give our 2nd for Jimmy G, and spend big money on a Poe or Bennie Logan for NT maybe a vet ILB like Zac Brown or Kiko.

We have the picks and the cash flow to make something happen just a matter of our FO doing something........

Yeah completely sacrilegious but only have Bowman as a 2 down linebacker and have Ray Ray and Tartt in Nickle situations. Seems like the no brainer move.

Right....Tart is avg like 20 snaps a game (has 177 total snaps) why spend a 2nd on him if they aren't gonna play him? still confused by that pick.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 106,488
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by okdkid:
He's an elite defender, eh?

How many turnovers has he created?

Yeah cause Gerrod Holliman has taken the league by storm. He had a ton of interceptions in college.

Nope. That's not what I'm trying to understand. People are saying this kid is a top 10 pick and a top 3 defensive prospect. I want to know how many turnovers he has created. Surely an elite LB/S/CB would be able to contribute in this regard.

You'd prob have to watch him play in a game and not just look at stats. He's a hybrid type player in the defense. He's either covering WR and they don't throw his way or he's playing in the box to rush the passer or stop the run.

To answer your question he has zero interceptions, 1 forced fumble and 3.5 sacks, 33 tackles 11 for loss.

He also has over 400 return yards and a Punt Return TD.

He also has 150 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs.

He's played every skill position LB, S, CB, QB, RB, WR.

You taking that in the top 5?

Well first you question his skills based on stats. Then you question if he's a legit top 10 player. Now you're asking if I take him in the top 5? I think it all depends on what team you're talking about based on needs and systems.

If you're a team like the 49ers with so many holes it's not a good idea to take him IF you can trade down and get more picks. If you can't trade down why not take a player who can fill two starting spots on your team with one pick. Peppers could start at slot CB, and be the teams full time return man day one hands down no question.

Now for Peppers sake as a player I hope he doesn't go top 5. It would help his career to drop and go to a better team with better coaches. The 49ers would ruin him.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Well first you question his skills based on stats. Then you question if he's a legit top 10 player. Now you're asking if I take him in the top 5? I think it all depends on what team you're talking about based on needs and systems.

If you're a team like the 49ers with so many holes it's not a good idea to take him IF you can trade down and get more picks. If you can't trade down why not take a player who can fill two starting spots on your team with one pick. Peppers could start at slot CB, and be the teams full time return man day one hands down no question.

Now for Peppers sake as a player I hope he doesn't go top 5. It would help his career to drop and go to a better team with better coaches. The 49ers would ruin him.

Slot man and a return guy doesn't equal top 5 pick for me. While talented as hell, we have much more important positions to look at. He won't be a Niner, I could see the Jets or the Titans making a move for him.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 106,488
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Well first you question his skills based on stats. Then you question if he's a legit top 10 player. Now you're asking if I take him in the top 5? I think it all depends on what team you're talking about based on needs and systems.

If you're a team like the 49ers with so many holes it's not a good idea to take him IF you can trade down and get more picks. If you can't trade down why not take a player who can fill two starting spots on your team with one pick. Peppers could start at slot CB, and be the teams full time return man day one hands down no question.

Now for Peppers sake as a player I hope he doesn't go top 5. It would help his career to drop and go to a better team with better coaches. The 49ers would ruin him.

Slot man and a return guy doesn't equal top 5 pick for me. While talented as hell, we have much more important positions to look at. He won't be a Niner, I could see the Jets or the Titans making a move for him.

Well this isn't a thread about the 49ers it's about Peppers. He's a legit top 10 pick. If I had a pick in the top 5 and couldn't trade down and Garrett was gone I'd take him.

I don't think any QB is worth a top 10 pick this year but a team with that need will take one.

Best defensive player from the 2015 draft was taken at 18.
  • evil
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 38,474
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
My point was that turnovers can be a overhyped statistic. Peppers has immense amount of talent and has since high school. Can run with the best of them and hits like an old school safety. Like you said though I would like to see him specialize in 1 position preferrably at SS. He's not the best cover corner and doesn't have the size to play linebacker so it fits him the best. I would like to see better instincts in coverage but as far as run defense he is extremely special.

As far as top 5 he has the athleticism and potential to go in the top 5. But due to his good but not great statistics I can see him dropping to the top 8ish. I strongly believe once he gets on a pro team he will be an amazing Safety with part time return duties. He has shown he can learn multiple positions so once he can focus on just one that could be crazy special. But I don't think we can afford to draft Peppers still cause our other needs but if we wouldn't have taken Tartt I don't think it would be a question if we missed out on Garrett.

Yeah my issue is people throw out well he plays this that and everything else which is great in college but we don't need that...we need him to be amazing at one position like you said SS is most likely his spot (and return duties). When you looking at a player that high in the draft INTs are kinda important.

I'd love to see Ward and tart as our safeties (and keep Reid). I just don't want to see yet another high pick at secondary no thanks.

Gotta be Myles or a qb (unless we trade down).

I agree that Peppers is a SS and return man in the NFL. On the right team, he may also be used at LB and NCB in some sub packages depending on down/distance and offensive personnel on the field and maybe see a handful of snaps in a single season on the offensive side of the ball.

Given where this team sits today, staring at a top 4 pick, I think we are either looking at Garnett/Allen or a QB. Trade down could also be an option, but it is still early and the top 10 in this class will change a little between now and late April.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Well this isn't a thread about the 49ers it's about Peppers. He's a legit top 10 pick. If I had a pick in the top 5 and couldn't trade down and Garrett was gone I'd take him.

I don't think any QB is worth a top 10 pick this year but a team with that need will take one.

Best defensive player from the 2015 draft was taken at 18.

I mean it's the draft forum sorry if I assumed most prospects we talk about in a 49ers forum are linked to possibly being a 9er

Peters was a outside corner with press man skills not a slot corner, He also had 11 INTs coming out of college. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he was the pick... wouldn't be the smartest move considering we have a surplus of DBs and IMO his best position is safety.

I think Mitch Trubisky and Watson are both top 10 QB talents end of the day (and so does CBS draft board as of now). I'd trade with the Titans if Peppers was there (they need secondary help bad) and go after one of the two QBs if there or Derek Barnett.
Originally posted by evil:
I agree that Peppers is a SS and return man in the NFL. On the right team, he may also be used at LB and NCB in some sub packages depending on down/distance and offensive personnel on the field and maybe see a handful of snaps in a single season on the offensive side of the ball.

Given where this team sits today, staring at a top 4 pick, I think we are either looking at Garnett/Allen or a QB. Trade down could also be an option, but it is still early and the top 10 in this class will change a little between now and late April.

Totally agree
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 106,488
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Well this isn't a thread about the 49ers it's about Peppers. He's a legit top 10 pick. If I had a pick in the top 5 and couldn't trade down and Garrett was gone I'd take him.

I don't think any QB is worth a top 10 pick this year but a team with that need will take one.

Best defensive player from the 2015 draft was taken at 18.

I mean it's the draft forum sorry if I assumed most prospects we talk about in a 49ers forum are linked to possibly being a 9er

Peters was a outside corner with press man skills not a slot corner, He also had 11 INTs coming out of college. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he was the pick... wouldn't be the smartest move considering we have a surplus of DBs and IMO his best position is safety.

I think Mitch Trubisky and Watson are both top 10 QB talents end of the day (and so does CBS draft board as of now). I'd trade with the Titans if Peppers was there (they need secondary help bad) and go after one of the two QBs if there or Derek Barnett.

Just pointing that out because my response was to another poster and you quoted my response out of that post.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Just pointing that out because my response was to another poster and you quoted my response out of that post.

Okay my bad
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,157
The hype that Peppers gets is less about his ability to play competent defense at the NFL level, and more about a college highlight reel. The problem is he is a man without a home and for a defensive player requires a lot of projection. SS is not a premium position. He does not generate turnovers. But he has great athleticism and can be a jack of all trades. That is not good enough to be a top 10 pick.

I understand the hype -- but if you're considering drafting him in the top 10 you need to judge him against top 10 expectations.

  • evil
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 38,474
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean it's the draft forum sorry if I assumed most prospects we talk about in a 49ers forum are linked to possibly being a 9er

Peters was a outside corner with press man skills not a slot corner, He also had 11 INTs coming out of college. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he was the pick... wouldn't be the smartest move considering we have a surplus of DBs and IMO his best position is safety.

I think Mitch Trubisky and Watson are both top 10 QB talents end of the day (and so does CBS draft board as of now). I'd trade with the Titans if Peppers was there (they need secondary help bad) and go after one of the two QBs if there or Derek Barnett.

If I am the Titans I would not part with both first rounders to move up for Peppers but Peppers is definitely a player they should be targeting. There appears to be about a handful of DB's with 1st round potential outside of Peppers (Tabor, Humphrey, Adams, King, Jones, Hooker) and they can potentially also grab a LB or WR with the other first. If they can get up in position for Peppers using their 2nd and or 2 3rd rounders while keeping that other first then yes make the move.

Peppers to the Jags would be interesting. Coupling him and Ramsey in that secondary could be a fun time for a creative DC.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 106,488
Originally posted by okdkid:
The hype that Peppers gets is less about his ability to play competent defense at the NFL level, and more about a college highlight reel. The problem is he is a man without a home and for a defensive player requires a lot of projection. SS is not a premium position. He does not generate turnovers. But he has great athleticism and can be a jack of all trades. That is not good enough to be a top 10 pick.

I understand the hype -- but if you're considering drafting him in the top 10 you need to judge him against top 10 expectations.

He's one of the smartest players on the team. I wouldn't be worried about his defensive competence. lol

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/10/29/michigan-wolverines-jabrill-peppers-offense-defense/74785214/

He also has something you can't teach. A motor that doesn't stop. Remember when the 49ers had players like that, that was neat.
It's a passing league someone will justify taking a lockdown corner whether it's inside or out.

Just not us.
Originally posted by evil:
If I am the Titans I would not part with both first rounders to move up for Peppers but Peppers is definitely a player they should be targeting. There appears to be about a handful of DB's with 1st round potential outside of Peppers (Tabor, Humphrey, Adams, King, Jones, Hooker) and they can potentially also grab a LB or WR with the other first. If they can get up in position for Peppers using their 2nd and or 2 3rd rounders while keeping that other first then yes make the move.

Peppers to the Jags would be interesting. Coupling him and Ramsey in that secondary could be a fun time for a creative DC.

yeah all depends what they want to give up...I wouldn't give up both 1st either. Like you said there's a ton of talent at the DB position
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It's a passing league someone will justify taking a lockdown corner whether it's inside or out.

Just not us.

I don't think he's a lock down CB though...I think he's a damn good safety which is needed in this league.
Share 49erswebzone