LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Lamar Jackson QB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
So if they've achieved about the same (you left out MVP) surely they both get or don't get a deal?

If it's the way to feel out the market why has it NEVER previously been done for a starting NFL QB?

Well see above post. He had 1 great year with 2.5 average years AFTER his breakout MVP year.
He has turned down a 3yr $137m fully guaranteed which is basically what kyler and russell got.

And precedent was blown out last year by the browns, and the ravens are stuck with it. They feel that was an outlier, lamar feels it is the new norm so they put it out for the rest of the NFL to figure it out.

And if lamar is so good, how would he be blacklisted. Mike vick, watson, ricky williams, ben Roethlisberger, josh gordon, and countless other players who got paid.

Or is it a case that SMART organizations realize how bad THAT type of contract is for building a winning team. And if he is worth that contract two 1sts won't even be a pothole in acquiring him.
Better than the Ravens playing without him?

YES. You can have nick bosa and trent Williams with mac jones or lamar jackson with ebukam and brunskill?

By the way, what are the 6 teams that should be all over him?
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Apr 2, 2023 at 9:53 AM ]
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Better than the Ravens playing without him?

YES. You can have nick bosa and trent Williams with mac jones or lamar jackson with ebukam and brunskill?

By the way, what are the 6 teams that should be all over him?

But what's the point of having cap space if you can't recruit enough guys worthy of being paid?

Lamar would probably be the best QB in the whole NFC! Jalen is basically Lamar lite, but at least he has done it more recently.

Falcons are the biggest one for me, HC who wants to run the ball, Desmond Ridder at QB.

Colts might have some more cap concerns, but they have 0 options at QB, drafting Will Levis won't get it done.

Ravens themselves if they count, they have no avenue to replace him.

The Texans should consider it, but I'd be fine if they like Young as much as they should (pretty sure Stroud is going #1)

Commanders going with Sam Howell!

The Lions, though I'm not sure what the Goff cap hit would be, they'd definitely be a better team though

Giants and Seahawks prior to paying their mediocre QB's.

Plenty more should have at the time if the cap situation could have been figured out.

Bucs, Panthers, Raiders have all made worse moves IMO.
And if lamar is so good, how would he be blacklisted. Mike vick, watson, ricky williams, ben Roethlisberger, josh gordon, and countless other players who got paid.

With agents, and not while demanding of a recent precedential contract. If the Good Ole Boys club doesn't like something, we've seen the kinds of things they'll do already.
But what's the point of having cap space if you can't recruit enough guys worthy of being paid?

Lamar would probably be the best QB in the whole NFC! Jalen is basically Lamar lite, but at least he has done it more recently.

Falcons are the biggest one for me, HC who wants to run the ball, Desmond Ridder at QB.

Colts might have some more cap concerns, but they have 0 options at QB, drafting Will Levis won't get it done.

Ravens themselves if they count, they have no avenue to replace him.

The Texans should consider it, but I'd be fine if they like Young as much as they should (pretty sure Stroud is going #1)

Commanders going with Sam Howell!

The Lions, though I'm not sure what the Goff cap hit would be, they'd definitely be a better team though

Giants and Seahawks prior to paying their mediocre QB's.

Plenty more should have at the time if the cap situation could have been figured out.

Bucs, Panthers, Raiders have all made worse moves IMO.
They built that team around lamar's skillset. Running, PA, short passes, and deep shots.

Nfc, i take hurts, purdy, and fields over lamar jackson at $45m.

Falcons backed out on D Watson because of the contract, but they will give up more for lamar?

Colts will be giving up a top 10 pick, and possibly a second one, with no cap room to build a supporting cast while revamping their offense to fit him.

Ravens, pay his $32.4m this year, $36ish next, 45ish in year 3. Or a team gives them two 1sts and they get more talent around Huntley.

The texans have a terrible team so likely giving up TWO TOP 5 picks, yeeaahh NO.

COMMANDERS? Who is paying him? Why would dan Snyder put up the $200m while he is being forced out?

The lions are a team that fits, but likely can't fit an inflexible contract under the cap.

I take geno smith, two 1sts, and $20m over lamar jackson.
Jones is a bad contract, but the NYG bent themselves over the barrel for him.

The bucs(like the rams) have to take their cap medicine and eat these void year bonuses.
The panthers have the #1 pick and already did the failed running only QB.
the raiders, ownership does not have the wealth to sign him to his demanded contract.
Originally posted by random49er:
With agents, and not while demanding of a recent precedential contract. If the Good Ole Boys club doesn't like something, we've seen the kinds of things they'll do already.

"With agents" i did not know he is forbidden by the NFL to have an agent.

Mike vick signed 2 precedent setting contracts, one after prison.
And we have seen they will ignore the others if it is what they want.
They built that team around lamar's skillset. Running, PA, short passes, and deep shots.

Nfc, i take hurts, purdy, and fields over lamar jackson at $45m.

Falcons backed out on D Watson because of the contract, but they will give up more for lamar?

Colts will be giving up a top 10 pick, and possibly a second one, with no cap room to build a supporting cast while revamping their offense to fit him.

Ravens, pay his $32.4m this year, $36ish next, 45ish in year 3. Or a team gives them two 1sts and they get more talent around Huntley.

The texans have a terrible team so likely giving up TWO TOP 5 picks, yeeaahh NO.

COMMANDERS? Who is paying him? Why would dan Snyder put up the $200m while he is being forced out?

The lions are a team that fits, but likely can't fit an inflexible contract under the cap.

I take geno smith, two 1sts, and $20m over lamar jackson.
Jones is a bad contract, but the NYG bent themselves over the barrel for him.

The bucs(like the rams) have to take their cap medicine and eat these void year bonuses.
The panthers have the #1 pick and already did the failed running only QB.
the raiders, ownership does not have the wealth to sign him to his demanded contract.

We'll agree to disagree. Commanders make sense, but he's not gone yet, and I'm sure Lamar would let them not guarantee a mil or two to avoid the upfront situation.

Colts have Jonathon Taylor and Pittman, no adjustment needed.

Falcons have had a year of Mariota and now facing a year of Ridder since then.

Huntley?! Give me a break.

Lamar just isn't a running only QB, but that is probably why we can't agree, the difference in his passing numbers with and without weapons have been stark, the simple truth is that some of these teams have been without even a serviceable QB for so long that they should jump at the chance to get Lamar.
Our divide is likely you seem to view him as a good passer, i do not. He is not accurate and he managed to overthrow brown A LOT. He elevates TEs and RBs with the under 10yd routes in space, but drag WRs down with a lack of 5-25yd tight throws AND inaccurate deep balls.

Pairing him with Deebo, CMac, and kittle would work, but Aiyuk and jennings would lose their value. Our offense would likely get worse with him.
Our divide is likely you seem to view him as a good passer, i do not. He is not accurate and he managed to overthrow brown A LOT. He elevates TEs and RBs with the under 10yd routes in space, but drag WRs down with a lack of 5-25yd tight throws AND inaccurate deep balls.

Pairing him with Deebo, CMac, and kittle would work, but Aiyuk and jennings would lose their value. Our offense would likely get worse with him.

I agree that our offense would be worse (well at least different with Lamar) I don't think he's an elite passer and processor.

He's just a lot better than most teams have, or will be able to acquire, and that makes him valuable.
I don't get why they sign OBJ if they aren't bringing Lamar back, the moves don't correlate

How did he lead NFL in TD passes? Can you do that and not be a good passer?
I don't get why they sign OBJ if they aren't bringing Lamar back, the moves don't correlate

Because he'll come back. No one is giving up two 1sts and giving him a fully guaranteed deal so he's either playing on the franchise tag or working out a long term deal with Baltimore now that he's seen that his value isn't as high as he anticipated.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Because he'll come back. No one is giving up two 1sts and giving him a fully guaranteed deal so he's either playing on the franchise tag or working out a long term deal with Baltimore now that he's seen that his value isn't as high as he anticipated.

I would advise Lamar to hold out, that will put BAL in an untenable position. Watson was essentially held out for a season by his club, and rang the register anyway. The longer Lamar just does nothing, the more the pressure will ramp on the Ravens, as we get closer to the season.
Obj gonna get injured again and retire this time.

# BOOKIT
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I would advise Lamar to hold out, that will put BAL in an untenable position. Watson was essentially held out for a season by his club, and rang the register anyway. The longer Lamar just does nothing, the more the pressure will ramp on the Ravens, as we get closer to the season.

Holding out isn't going to make his value magically increase, it'll just make him older and cost him even more salary that he'll never make up.

He's already something like $40 million behind Josh Allen due to his lack of an agent.
Share 49ersWebzone