LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Lamar Jackson QB

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Are we finally getting near the tipping point where owners aren't going to keep giving in to high salary demands? I hope so. It's time these players join the real world and realize that $25 million per year is more than they will ever need in their life. They don't need $40 million per year. All that does is take money away from the players they need to be successful.
It makes sense but that's the problem.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by random49er:
For the players, the revenue sharing % has dipped over the years with each updated CBA (IIRC).

I can't help but continually find it interesting how adamant some fans are that the billionaire owners that don't break a sweat deserve to keep a larger piece of the ever-ncreasing pie than the players they enjoy watching risk life and limb should get.

Lamar has more than earned his fair share with a rookie deal that has taken advantage of his best years.

He's brought into the league way, way more than he has taken home.

It's time for him to cash in and I wish him the best of luck in squeezing out whatever he can.

That is an invalid argument. Has anybody argued the salary cap should not go up?

No, we are arguing that lamar is not worth 20% of the cap.

There's been more than one argument. The ones I've been replying to haven't mentioned the cap.

And Lamar's never asked for 20% of anyone's cap. What he is asking is, after severely being underpaid due to the "system" in place -- for rookie contracts that can extend up to half a decade -- to finally be compensated for what he's been worth. Any cap stuff isin't his concern.

And again,....it really is nuts to see people so in favor of the owners keeping as much revenue as possible. I mean,...the revenue has to go somewhere.

So he won a court battle. Whoop-dee-doo! What has this drunk ever done other than gain inheritance?

We haven't spent one dime to watch the owners run, jump, and catch, and we never will.

So why does he get your unwavering support in regards to revenue sharing? Meanwhile, you want to bury a guy LJ for simply trying to extract whatever he can while the time is ripe.

Stop fighting so hard for these guys.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 1, 2023 at 8:05 PM ]
Amazing post random!

Granted some of them do good for the community, or further causes, but they're really just about making as much money as they can.

It's the reason Goodell has lasted so long, he's good for business.

The Ravens have placed too much on Lamar's shoulders, and should now pony up for it instead of colluding with other owners to keep his value down.
Again nobody has said LJ should not get paid. Go get what you can get, but you are not worth 20% of the cap, and he lost a lot of support by going on twitter and bragging he turned down a 3yr $137m fully guaranteed contract.

And he is asking for 20%, $50m is 1/5 of $250m. And in 2 years it will be $70m of $300m
And the people who talk about not guaranteed large contracts are just realistic. I think the NFL is the only league that requires it to go into escrow. And they might be billionaires, but putting $200,000,000 cash in an account is probably difficult for majority of the owners.

Which is why most sign 2 year guarantees with the 3rd or 4th year converting to bonus.

Really the video i posted explains it very well. And that he didn't go hard at dan snyder? Are they forcing him to sell?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Amazing post random!

Granted some of them do good for the community, or further causes, but they're really just about making as much money as they can.

It's the reason Goodell has lasted so long, he's good for business.

The Ravens have placed too much on Lamar's shoulders, and should now pony up for it instead of colluding with other owners to keep his value down.

Where is you evidence they are colluding? He is an above average QB that has a deteriorating skillset, wanting #1 QB money. In 3 years he may be bottom 1/3, look at cam newton.
Everyone outside 1 poster on this forum, the majority of the fans, and all the owners believe lamar doesn't deserve 250 million guaranteed.

He's missed the end of the two seasons in a row and got injured in a playoff game. He peaked in his 2nd season getting his MVP then preceding to choke in epic fashion against the lowest ranked playoff team remaining.

He will only get worse as he gets older. He will in all likelihood miss significant time with another injury making a fully guaranteed contract look even worse.

It's also not about owners being cheap and not wanting to pay Lamar. Giving all the guaranteed money will totally f**k up the rest of the teams ability to retain elite players at the other positions with numbers posters have detailed above. There is no way in hell Lamar can make up for that difference (hell no one player can). NFL has a hard cap with no exceptions that makes it important. Browns paying that rapist bust destroyed their franchise for the next 5 years but its the browns and they would suck anyways no matter what they did.

Get this BS about Regular Season MVP out of here especially after leading your team to getting humiliated in the first round of the playoffs after a bye week. It's only relevant when you can follow it up with SB MVP, dude couldn't even win one game that year when it mattered most.
Where is you evidence they are colluding? He is an above average QB that has a deteriorating skillset, wanting #1 QB money. In 3 years he may be bottom 1/3, look at cam newton.

Just following the landscape of the NFL, the best player I can remember getting the Non exclusive tag was Robbie Gould.

It just doesn't happen for any starting QB, let alone an MVP winner.

Now that it has happened there are around 6 teams that should be all over this and for there to be no hint of an offer leads me to cite collusion.

That may not be evidence, but it's absolutely the most likely outcome. When teams have been trying to save themselves at QB recently by trading for and paying Carson Wentz, Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers.

Other teams trading the farm and paying Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson and now Aaron Rodgers, who may be great but how long will he play?

The market, well lack there of, for Lamar cannot be explained away by your assessment.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Apr 2, 2023 at 12:59 AM ]
Again nobody has said LJ should not get paid. Go get what you can get, but you are not worth 20% of the cap, and he lost a lot of support by going on twitter and bragging he turned down a 3yr $137m fully guaranteed contract.

He's not asking for 20% of the cap. The cap is not his concern, nor is it his burden. That is a self-imposed burden on the teams.

You can't use something you self-impose as a bargaining point,...lol. Stop it. Some here stating that other Owners being "mad" @ Cleveland,...and not even recognizing that they're lockstep with the idea of collusion by continually stating such.

The exorbitant amounts of money players are being paid isin't bad for the game. But owners that dont gaf about the game and are only in it for the money certainly are. A 17th game, shady hiring practices, rule changes, only now including lifetime medical coverage in the last CBA,...you name it. They recent ones have been horrible for the sanctity of pro football.

It would do us better if they dont profit as well and sell the teams to ownership groups that actually give 2 cents about the game.

I say hope the man gets his money and stop cheering for every extra dollar that these owners get to keep for reasons already stated.
Exactly, we say things like Collusion, and people call us conspiracy theorists.

The reality is that these guys just see it as a business deal, and will do whatever it takes to make more money.
Originally posted by jimmy3233:
Everyone outside 1 poster on this forum, the majority of the fans, and all the owners believe lamar doesn't deserve 250 million guaranteed.

He's missed the end of the two seasons in a row and got injured in a playoff game. He peaked in his 2nd season getting his MVP then preceding to choke in epic fashion against the lowest ranked playoff team remaining.

He will only get worse as he gets older. He will in all likelihood miss significant time with another injury making a fully guaranteed contract look even worse.

It's also not about owners being cheap and not wanting to pay Lamar. Giving all the guaranteed money will totally f**k up the rest of the teams ability to retain elite players at the other positions with numbers posters have detailed above. There is no way in hell Lamar can make up for that difference (hell no one player can). NFL has a hard cap with no exceptions that makes it important. Browns paying that rapist bust destroyed their franchise for the next 5 years but its the browns and they would suck anyways no matter what they did.

Get this BS about Regular Season MVP out of here especially after leading your team to getting humiliated in the first round of the playoffs after a bye week. It's only relevant when you can follow it up with SB MVP, dude couldn't even win one game that year when it mattered most.

Again, I don't even love Lamar, the point is that he is worth a huge deal. What has Kyler done? Definitely less than Lamar, but the team can't replace him so have to pony up.

If they don't want him they should trade him, but this Non exclusive tag deal stinks of collusion.

Actually kyler and lamar have achieved about the same.
Kyler.....stat......lamar
4(3707)...yrs(snaps)..5(4009)
57(57)...games(GS)..70(61)
16,052...yds...16,657
107...tds...125
49......tos.....53

And the non exclusive tag, is the way to feel out the market. Is it 5yrs $232m guaranteed or 5yrs $160m guaranteed?
And 2 1sts for a starting QB has shown to not be a hurdle.
But he has an MVP. Let's eliminate their best season.

Kyler...stat...lamar
41(41)..games...55(46)
11262...yds....12313
69...tds....82
33....tos....45

I will be honest, i thought it would close the gap more than it did.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Apr 2, 2023 at 9:05 AM ]
Actually kyler and lamar have achieved about the same.
Kyler.....stat......lamar
4(3707)...yrs(snaps)..5(4009)
57(57)...games(GS)..70(61)
16,052...yds...16,657
107...tds...125
49......tos.....53

And the non exclusive tag, is the way to feel out the market. Is it 5yrs $232m guaranteed or 5yrs $160m guaranteed?
And 2 1sts for a starting QB has shown to not be a hurdle.

So if they've achieved about the same (you left out MVP) surely they both get or don't get a deal?

If it's the way to feel out the market why has it NEVER previously been done for a starting NFL QB?
I think that giving a guaranteed 4 or 5 year deal to a football player is only guaranteeing that your team will be bad for years. There's way too much chance of serious injury in football to tie up 20-25% of your cap in one player. Look at how many QBs missed games last year. I wouldn't mind 5 year deals with no more than 2 years guaranteed. That's the big issue holding up any deal with Jackson. Giving him that much guaranteed money is crazy when he's only started and finished 2 games in the last 2 seasons in December and January.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I think that giving a guaranteed 4 or 5 year deal to a football player is only guaranteeing that your team will be bad for years. There's way too much chance of serious injury in football to tie up 20-25% of your cap in one player. Look at how many QBs missed games last year. I wouldn't mind 5 year deals with no more than 2 years guaranteed. That's the big issue holding up any deal with Jackson. Giving him that much guaranteed money is crazy when he's only started and finished 2 games in the last 2 seasons in December and January.

Better than the Ravens playing without him?
Share 49ersWebzone