LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Can the 5 man base DL be brought back?

Shop 49ers game tickets
As a fan of the game, I heard the base 5-2, 5-3 defense was utilized a few times on specific occasions in the early '70s by certain teams looking to stop run based teams.

Was wondering if the 5 man line could work in base defense in 2016?

The idea comes from someone mentioning that a 2 gapping 5 man line could effectively stop the read option runs because you'd have a hat on a hat across the entire OL, and not worry about having LBs or DEs crash down on option runs.

As far as the back 6 players, figure 2 LBs and 4 DBs on 1st and 2nd down, and 1 LB, 5 DBs in passing scenarios (you could also sub out LBs for DBs as needed to combat 3/4/5 WR sets). You would never be without an LB since QB + 5 OL + 5 WR leaves room for an extra DB/LB/DL as needed in such scenarios.

Personnel might be an issue, but I think the scheme could be accommodated. You put in typical 3-4 DEs or 4-3 DTs in the Nose Guard spots, a 3-4 NT in the NT spot, and 4-3 DEs for your DEs.

You always have the option of going to 3 and 4 man DLs on passing downs.

It may be a one hit wonder defense, but imagine it could shock the Seahawks if introduced in one game, flummoxing Wilson's and his RBs zone read game.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 18, 2016 at 2:41 AM ]
Your pretty much describing a modern day 3-4 Defense. Our OLBs are converted DEs from college. While it's a concept that could work against teams that struggle passing. But in the modern NFL if a QB sees 5 actual down lineman he would audible out of a run and hit you with passes and screens. Then probably go no huddle to wear them out driving the field.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Your pretty much describing a modern day 3-4 Defense. Our OLBs are converted DEs from college. While it's a concept that could work against teams that struggle passing. But in the modern NFL if a QB sees 5 actual down lineman he would audible out of a run and hit you with passes and screens. Then probably go no huddle to wear them out driving the field.

Would you have been comfortable running a 5-2 with Willis & Bowman in their prime?
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Would you have been comfortable running a 5-2 with Willis & Bowman in their prime?

We had Aldon Smith/Parys at OLB (both converted DEs in college) Justin Smith, Soap, McDonald, Brooks (converted ILB) so let's replace Brooks with an established DE JPP. Still looks like a 3-4. Obviously they operate differently. Your rushing 5 non stop. I just think even with Bow and Willis it would leave a team susceptible to lots of passes.
We used to run it. It was called

The Big Nickel
Sounds like the 49ers kryptonite
We had Aldon Smith/Parys at OLB (both converted DEs in college) Justin Smith, Soap, McDonald, Brooks (converted ILB) so let's replace Brooks with an established DE JPP. Still looks like a 3-4. Obviously they operate differently. Your rushing 5 non stop. I just think even with Bow and Willis it would leave a team susceptible to lots of passes.

I see....good info.

Maybe this explains the popularity of the 3-4. The "5-2" look and presence with coverage flexibility and disguise.

Would you at least agree that if we beat the Hawks with a 5-2 and made Wilson ineffective it would be the greatest thing ever?
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 18, 2016 at 11:37 PM ]

I see....good info.

Maybe this explains the popularity of the 3-4. The "5-2" look and presence with coverage flexibility and disguise.

Would you at least agree that if we beat the Hawks with a 5-2 and made Wilson ineffective it would be the greatest thing ever?

As it would be great to beat the Hawks. Outside rushers one day will learn how to be disciplined when facing him one day
As it would be great to beat the Hawks. Outside rushers one day will learn how to be disciplined when facing him one day

Oh definitely.

But rust/game planning aside, the Vikings overloaded blitzes made Wilson look like a rookie this weekend.

Oh definitely.

But rust/game planning aside, the Vikings overloaded blitzes made Wilson look like a rookie this weekend.

it sure didn't look like a vanilla defense , Zimmer was dialing up some pressure packages and getting Wilson on the ground

Against HaRoman? Yes. Against a Kelly spread no. When teams send four receivers and flair a RB the five man line has to beat their guys one on one quickly or...

I think having the OLBs standing gives the team more options. They can still play like a five man line but don't give it away to the QB to slice and dice.

Edit: Blair is intriguing because he is that Swiss army knife allowing the team to disguise the lineup--he can play all over the front seven. Making him a base DL would limit his effectiveness.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 26, 2016 at 3:22 AM ]
With the NFL being such a pass happy league, I wonder if we will see the 3-5-3 alignment. High schools, and some collages are deploying this against the spread passing attack.

It looks like a 3-4, but you play with two smaller OLBs, that fit the physical mold of safety. More players who can cover WR, or tackle a RB in space. The two extra safeties move all over the field depending situation, up for the run, back for the pass, one up, one down. Its a flexible, and fast defense.

The 5 man front is alive and well in youth football, I used to run the 6-3 gambler defense! Talk about a run stuffer!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
With the NFL being such a pass happy league, I wonder if we will see the 3-5-3 alignment. High schools, and some collages are deploying this against the spread passing attack.

It looks like a 3-4, but you play with two smaller OLBs, that fit the physical mold of safety. More players who can cover WR, or tackle a RB in space. The two extra safeties move all over the field depending situation, up for the run, back for the pass, one up, one down. Its a flexible, and fast defense.

The 5 man front is alive and well in youth football, I used to run the 6-3 gambler defense! Talk about a run stuffer!

3-3-5 and 4-2-5 have become popular in CFB.
Share 49ersWebzone