There are 170 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Why are Baalke players like Garnett and Jimmie Ward so freaking soft? I mean jesus....How could you be this bad at talent evaluation? They're FIRST ROUND PICKS. HOW CAN YOU BE THIS BAD. JUST GOOGLE A MOCK DRAFT FROM NFL.COM, AND GO DOWN THE LIST, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER

Stuff like this really makes me question the guys that say, "well all Webzoners are just armchair GMs. They wouldn't know how to pick players".
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Aug 1, 2019 at 6:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Why are Baalke players like Garnett and Jimmie Ward so freaking soft? I mean jesus....How could you be this bad at talent evaluation? They're FIRST ROUND PICKS. HOW CAN YOU BE THIS BAD. JUST GOOGLE A MOCK DRAFT FROM NFL.COM, AND GO DOWN THE LIST, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER

Stuff like this really makes me question the guys that say, "well all Webzoners are just armchair GMs. They wouldn't know how to pick players".

Most people were excited about the Garnett pick, now it looks horrible, especially with the way Michael Thomas has played, now getting a $100M deal.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Why are Baalke players like Garnett and Jimmie Ward so freaking soft? I mean jesus....How could you be this bad at talent evaluation? They're FIRST ROUND PICKS. HOW CAN YOU BE THIS BAD. JUST GOOGLE A MOCK DRAFT FROM NFL.COM, AND GO DOWN THE LIST, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER

Stuff like this really makes me question the guys that say, "well all Webzoners are just armchair GMs. They wouldn't know how to pick players".

Every team, GM in history has had tons of whiffs in the 1st round. But calling the Baalke tenure a bust over all is not untrue either.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Most people were excited about the Garnett pick, now it looks horrible, especially with the way Michael Thomas has played, now getting a $100M deal.

every fan always gets excited about picks when the pick is in, so it doesnt really matter....If you don't believe me, you can check out the AJ Jenkins thread. There's a few laughs in there

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/165374-aj-jenkins-is-a-49er/

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Every team, GM in history has had tons of whiffs in the 1st round. But calling the Baalke tenure a bust over all is not untrue either.

I understand that you have whiffs. Like maybe some character concerns like Reuben Foster. Or off field issues like Aldon. You can't predict those things. But at least you SAW the talent that was there and took a chance. In some sense, I'm okay with them swinging and missing on those. Because it tells me that the GM actually understands how to scout great talent at the position, so you can get it right the next time.....
This guy must have 0ne heckuva personality.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

I understand that you have whiffs. Like maybe some character concerns like Reuben Foster. Or off field issues like Aldon. You can't predict those things. But at least you SAW the talent that was there and took a chance. In some sense, I'm okay with them swinging and missing on those. Because it tells me that the GM actually understands how to scout great talent at the position, so you can get it right the next time.....

Did Garnett have an injury history prior to being drafted? I truly don't know, but I don't remember once hearing about it either. Also, he had a total tough guy rep too. Assuming he was not injured in college, how is that the fault of the people that drafted him?
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Aug 1, 2019 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Did Garnett have an injury history prior to being drafted? I truly don't know, but I don't remember once hearing about it either. Also, he had a total tough guy rep too. Assuming he was not injured in college, how is that the fault of the people that drafted him?

because hes not talented.

I never understood why Baalke had to trade up for this guy. He would have been available at our 2nd pick. I remember there was some talk before that the Seahawks would have nabbed him before us. I think it was just complete bs. I mean, maybe it could be true since the Seahawks also suck at drafting lately.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,953
... and by the way, if not mistaken, the other OG we let go because we drafted this guy... is now a starting C for the Cowboys.. and fine one too!!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Most people were excited about the Garnett pick, now it looks horrible, especially with the way Michael Thomas has played, now getting a $100M deal.

They were. lol
Originally posted by 9moon:
... and by the way, if not mistaken, the other OG we let go because we drafted this guy... is now a starting C for the Cowboys.. and fine one too!!

He only started because Frederick was hurt. People here hated Joe Looney and thought he was crap.

He didn't even fit Chip Kelly's scheme at the time. People complain about Lynch but Baalke the scout was a 100 Times worse. I do like Lynch
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Most people were excited about the Garnett pick, now it looks horrible, especially with the way Michael Thomas has played, now getting a $100M deal.

They were. lol

I was thinking the same thing lol. I remember everyone bashing the pick saying we reached.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 43,970
Originally posted by Ohio49ersfan:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Most people were excited about the Garnett pick, now it looks horrible, especially with the way Michael Thomas has played, now getting a $100M deal.

They were. lol

I was thinking the same thing lol. I remember everyone bashing the pick saying we reached.

It's unbelievable how he keeps on getting hurt.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't know if I completely give up, but it's getting pretty darn close.

Sucks I was so high on him during the draft

It goes to show you...you could be a workhorse with no injuries issues in college and then become Garnett or Ward (both were healthy through college).

Very true. Either way, I'm done. Granted, he's out for only 3 weeks and could still make the team, but barring a miracle, even if he does, he's gone once that deal expires. Or so we hope.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Very true. Either way, I'm done. Granted, he's out for only 3 weeks and could still make the team, but barring a miracle, even if he does, he's gone once that deal expires. Or so we hope.

I thought there was no way Jimmy Glass would be resigned for another year. So Garnett has a chance.
Share 49erswebzone