There are 189 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

I understand that you have whiffs. Like maybe some character concerns like Reuben Foster. Or off field issues like Aldon. You can't predict those things. But at least you SAW the talent that was there and took a chance. In some sense, I'm okay with them swinging and missing on those. Because it tells me that the GM actually understands how to scout great talent at the position, so you can get it right the next time.....

Did Garnett have an injury history prior to being drafted? I truly don't know, but I don't remember once hearing about it either. Also, he had a total tough guy rep too. Assuming he was not injured in college, how is that the fault of the people that drafted him?
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Aug 1, 2019 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Did Garnett have an injury history prior to being drafted? I truly don't know, but I don't remember once hearing about it either. Also, he had a total tough guy rep too. Assuming he was not injured in college, how is that the fault of the people that drafted him?

because hes not talented.

I never understood why Baalke had to trade up for this guy. He would have been available at our 2nd pick. I remember there was some talk before that the Seahawks would have nabbed him before us. I think it was just complete bs. I mean, maybe it could be true since the Seahawks also suck at drafting lately.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
... and by the way, if not mistaken, the other OG we let go because we drafted this guy... is now a starting C for the Cowboys.. and fine one too!!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Most people were excited about the Garnett pick, now it looks horrible, especially with the way Michael Thomas has played, now getting a $100M deal.

They were. lol
Originally posted by 9moon:
... and by the way, if not mistaken, the other OG we let go because we drafted this guy... is now a starting C for the Cowboys.. and fine one too!!

He only started because Frederick was hurt. People here hated Joe Looney and thought he was crap.
He didn't even fit Chip Kelly's scheme at the time. People complain about Lynch but Baalke the scout was a 100 Times worse. I do like Lynch
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Most people were excited about the Garnett pick, now it looks horrible, especially with the way Michael Thomas has played, now getting a $100M deal.

They were. lol

I was thinking the same thing lol. I remember everyone bashing the pick saying we reached.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ohio49ersfan:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

They were. lol

I was thinking the same thing lol. I remember everyone bashing the pick saying we reached.

It's unbelievable how he keeps on getting hurt.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't know if I completely give up, but it's getting pretty darn close.

Sucks I was so high on him during the draft

It goes to show you...you could be a workhorse with no injuries issues in college and then become Garnett or Ward (both were healthy through college).

Very true. Either way, I'm done. Granted, he's out for only 3 weeks and could still make the team, but barring a miracle, even if he does, he's gone once that deal expires. Or so we hope.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Very true. Either way, I'm done. Granted, he's out for only 3 weeks and could still make the team, but barring a miracle, even if he does, he's gone once that deal expires. Or so we hope.

I thought there was no way Jimmy Glass would be resigned for another year. So Garnett has a chance.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

He only started because Frederick was hurt. People here hated Joe Looney and thought he was crap.

Well, he wasnt very good for us. Dallas are his 3rd team which gives some indication. And a 49ers fan might call him fine but as far as I can see the Cowboys fans consider him barely adequate.

I never understood why Baalke had to trade up for this guy. He would have been available at our 2nd pick. I remember there was some talk before that the Seahawks would have nabbed him before us. I think it was just complete bs. I mean, maybe it could be true since the Seahawks also suck at drafting lately.

He's a talented player and won the Outland trophy for best interior OL in college football.

Obviously we shouldn't have traded up for him but Baalke wanted him and got him. I think Seattle would have picked him over Ifedi.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Well, he wasnt very good for us. Dallas are his 3rd team which gives some indication. And a 49ers fan might call him fine but as far as I can see the Cowboys fans consider him barely adequate.

Same thing with Jonathan Cooper. He looked decent in Dallas playing next to all those all-pro's and now where is he? Couldn't even make the team over Garnett or Person.
every fan always gets excited about picks when the pick is in, so it doesnt really matter....If you don't believe me, you can check out the AJ Jenkins thread. There's a few laughs in there

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/165374-aj-jenkins-is-a-49er/

I understand that you have whiffs. Like maybe some character concerns like Reuben Foster. Or off field issues like Aldon. You can't predict those things. But at least you SAW the talent that was there and took a chance. In some sense, I'm okay with them swinging and missing on those. Because it tells me that the GM actually understands how to scout great talent at the position, so you can get it right the next time.....

I think with the AJ pick "fans" were trying to find any positive out of it....give that pick to 30 fans and 30 fans would have NOT picked AJ Jenkins lol. That 2012 draft

What? He was the Outland Trophy recipient as the best interior OL his senior year, on one of the premier Div 1 programs in the country. Talk about selective memory. No denying that he has not lived up to that in the pros, but at draft time he was definitely one of the best OL prospects.
Share 49ersWebzone