DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Per PFF

AA is the 4th best rated DE only behind
TJ Watt
Mack
Garrett

Buckner is the 2nd best DT

they are both kicking some ass imo. Buckner is a little better but I think a DE is more valuable than a DT (unless you're Donald)

Soooooo enough with the AA isn't very good or great. He is.

IBM presents.....you make the call
Originally posted by elguapo:
Per PFF

TJ Watt
Mack
Garrett

they are both kicking some ass imo. Buckner is a little better but I think a DE is more valuable than a DT (unless you're Donald)

This. AA has had a very good year. Wrong scapegoat.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Well let's look at the whole picture.

Yes we got AA, Ward, and Kinlaw. But we extended Ward because T. Moore didn't pan out as a starter. We drafted Kinlaw because Solly didn't pan out. And it was Solly's cap figure that was prohibitive to resign both AA and Buckner.

That's part of life of the draft, but those misses contributed to trading Buckner. But Lynch did solid on the ROI.

Damn. Agree. Going back, I would trade AA for a 2nd rounder and having J. Ward walk. That would mean not drafting Kinlaw but I would be ok with that.

I don't think AA gets us a 2nd round pick. GMs around the league saw the crazy talent that was on the DL. 2nd round pick and a big contract for a guy who finally had one good year? Idk...3rd probably. And you would've pull the trigger on that. You would expect that AA would play better than a 3rd round pick, but so far he's played like a UDFA.

If AA is only worth a 3rd then why the hell did we pay him a contract avg $17 million a year?

His deal is paying him top 10 money on the edge and top 5 money inside.
Per PFF

TJ Watt
Mack
Garrett

???
armstead is trash. if that is what you expect out of a player north of 15 mil than omg. did he even play today
Originally posted by teylo31:
armstead is trash. if that is what you expect out of a player north of 15 mil than omg. did he even play today

Hes been awful. Lol PFF
Originally posted by communist:
Per PFF

TJ Watt
Mack
Garrett

???

It was an 80s Segway between commercials - they would have a controversial play and you make a judgment on if the call stands or is reversed
Originally posted by teylo31:

It's pretty hard to make plays when the opposing qb is throwing right away to wide open wrs against 2 players playing cb and slot cb from the PRACTICE SQUAD

Come on mannnnnnn?

I'd rather put more faith into the expert analysts (for the most part) at PFF when judging AA than fans that claim he isn't as good or trash.

It reminds me of when Dee Ford was out last year and we couldn't get sacks for the life of us. These same fans were whining about our overrated pass rush. They were wrong last year too bc during that time without Ford, AA was making the best plays out of our DL

BTW Buckner tried and did ok today but their D got owned by an average qb today and ran on WITHOUT Chubb. They were out the best LB so that makes a difference. Now imagine if they were out a Bosa Sherman Ford Williams Moesley DJ Jones (forget about Yhomas)
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 12, 2020 at 12:54 AM ]
hows he doing btw?
I think Lynch made the typical GM ego move of over-valuing the players he brought in himself. Cut Thomas and keep Buckner over Armstead or Ford and you easily have enough to keep Buckner.
[ Edited by IrishCrnjo on Oct 12, 2020 at 7:03 AM ]

Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
I think Lynch made the typical GM ego move of over-valuing the players he brought in himself. Cut Thomas and keep Buckner over Armstead or Ford and you easily have enough to keep Buckner.

Ya it was a very bad move
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Oct 12, 2020 at 8:07 AM ]
  • dj43

How soon we forget the long-term salary cap implications if we would have paid Buckner $21,000,000/yr. Cutting Thomas would have cost $8.9M in dead money. Ford would have cost $6.3M. AA plays a different position than Buckner so he should not be in the conversation.

We all agree it would be nice to have Buckner still here, however, in the era of salary cap football you cannot invest that much money in one player and have a balanced competitive football team.

I don't think it was his GM ego, it was incompetence. Not picking up Thomas' 5th year option would be best for salary cap purposes instead of cutting him. Restructuring Ford was a big mistake IMO. A Buckner deal could have been easily done with regards to the salary cap. And although I like him as a player, he is not worth $21 mil a year. With that said, I rather overpay him a little bit than to give AA and Ward those contracts.
Originally posted by dj43:
How soon we forget the long-term salary cap implications if we would have paid Buckner $21,000,000/yr. Cutting Thomas would have cost $8.9M in dead money. Ford would have cost $6.3M. AA plays a different position than Buckner so he should not be in the conversation.

We all agree it would be nice to have Buckner still here, however, in the era of salary cap football you cannot invest that much money in one player and have a balanced competitive football team.

This x 1000
Originally posted by dj43:

You talk long-term, but harp only on the short-term cap implications of cutting Thomas/Ford. Long-term, there's no reason why you can't pay Buckner 21m/yr if he's a franchise cornerstone.
Share 49ersWebzone