Alert Follow us at @49erswz until Twitter fixes the issues with our official account.

There are 90 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Honestly, this season, I didn't even notice DeFo was on the team.

BUT I've been telling you guys that even the year he had 12 sacks.. he would play like an ALL PRO one quarter, then he'd disappear the next 2 Qtrs..

He wouldn't disappear tho...teams figured since they couldn't handle him in one qtr 1 on 1, they doubled him in the other two qtrs which allowed our other beasts to cause chaos. See how that works, bruh
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
nah brah, Bucko just didn't have the motor running for 4 quarters..
Tough choices are a part of life as a GM in the NFL. DeFo was a necessary loss. Hopefully it works out well for both he and the 49ers.
I still hate this move. <3 me some Defo.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Tough choices are a part of life as a GM in the NFL. DeFo was a necessary loss. Hopefully it works out well for both he and the 49ers.

Yep. The Colts claiming they were never that enamoured with the pick amused me though. High pick in a strong draft? Yeah, hell with it!
Originally posted by English:

Yep. The Colts claiming they were never that enamoured with the pick amused me though. High pick in a strong draft? Yeah, hell with it!

Lies. But they do get a top-5 player at their position. People do need to understand however that I don't think Buck was ever accepting the type of contract AA signed.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Lies. But they do get a top-5 player at their position. People do need to understand however that I don't think Buck was ever accepting the type of contract AA signed.

I think he just wanted the money. Hawaii is very expensive for him and his family.
Originally posted by braap49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I think he just wanted the money. Hawaii is very expensive for him and his family.

QB money for a DT. What is the world coming to?
In order to stay near or at the top year after year you need to unfortunately make these type of moves. Or you become the Rams. In the Cap era you just can't keep every star player. Especially if you are a top team that has alot of them. Good to great players want to get paid. The Chiefs have 555 K only and haven't even paid Mahomes yet. They had to Tag Jones. Kelce will want a raise in a year. Due to this Buckner trade and letting Sanders go, the Niners have found themselves In a nice spot cap wise. They have over $19 Million in cap with almost everyone still on the team. Now money is not even an issue for signing Kittle. Give him $15 Million a season. Heck they can give him $18 Million and easily afford it.
Could have tagged defo, kept him another year. I thought we were saving this money for Sanders, or a splash signing. That's not happening. Really disappointing. The way our dline backups are out the door, they think so too.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Could have tagged defo, kept him another year. I thought we were saving this money for Sanders, or a splash signing. That's not happening. Really disappointing. The way our dline backups are out the door, they think so too.

Didn't need to tag him, this was the final year of his rookie deal. Actually I don't think they could have tagged him this season.

Do you guys think we are having issues managing the cap, or is this just another sign of the York's being cheap? Or a side effect of drafting all of these D-linemen in the first round so close together?

Not resigning Sanders after giving up a 3rd & 4th round pick is unusual as well.

What are we saving that cap room for?: Resigning Solomon Thomas and George Kittle?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Didn't need to tag him, this was the final year of his rookie deal. Actually I don't think they could have tagged him this season.

Do you guys think we are having issues managing the cap, or is this just another sign of the York's being cheap? Or a side effect of drafting all of these D-linemen in the first round so close together?

Not resigning Sanders after giving up a 3rd & 4th round pick is unusual as well.

What are we saving that cap room for?: Resigning Solomon Thomas and George Kittle?

I think they intend to get the comp pick for Sanders, but they wanted to sign him. Just didn't want to pay 8 million per year. As for who are we saving money for, this isn't immediate, but we do have deals that are expiring in the next season or two. No matter what happened, long term, everyone wasn't staying. I felt that they could've made it happen this year with some trades/cuts/releasing, but no matter what, the important players weren't going to be here longterm. We are actually in a position, if we choose, to sign a solid DT before all is said and done. We'll see if we do.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

I am guessing their biggest issue was giving Sanders that 2nd year.

I know right? Especially since they really need another receiver and this is probably one of the better classes in the last few decades
Originally posted by elguapo:

I know right? Especially since they really need another receiver and this is probably one of the better classes in the last few decades

But they dont really need another WR. They have a lot of other needs before they even get to WR. With the biggest being a QB, since I doubt they see Rivers playing into his 40s.
Share 49erswebzone