LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 380 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LVJay:
"Traded an All-Pro two-time team captain who was a sure thing when it came to availability and production."

It hurts, but him and AA are very similar players. Can't spend 35-40 million on two DTs. Plus Taylor has a similar skill-set as well.

The way I look at it is we got something good for him, and we will use his money we saved to lock up DJ Jones, Kittle and Warner. Can't keep everyone.

It wouldn't hurt half as much if we won and got ring #6.
Still can't believe this, niners better hit on the 13th pick or it's going to hurt this organization and lose all trust in fans
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Still can't believe this, niners better hit on the 13th pick or it's going to hurt this organization and lose all trust in fans

Teams miss on picks in the draft all the time. This is a business and a business decision was made, if they miss on the pick I won't lose trust with the franchise over it.

They completely rebuilt the roster and got us to where we are in 3 years. I think that in and of itself should have earned them our trust. Not every decision is going to work out in our favor but I do hope this one does. That said, the goal doesn't change : long term sustainable winner. In order to achieve that tough decisions have to be made unfortunately.
[ Edited by evil on Mar 18, 2020 at 8:00 AM ]
Honestly, this season, I didn't even notice DeFo was on the team.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
"Traded an All-Pro two-time team captain who was a sure thing when it came to availability and production."

It hurts, but him and AA are very similar players. Can't spend 35-40 million on two DTs. Plus Taylor has a similar skill-set as well.

The way I look at it is we got something good for him, and we will use his money we saved to lock up DJ Jones, Kittle and Warner. Can't keep everyone.

It wouldn't hurt half as much if we won and got ring #6.

Fo sho the bold

I hope our D line depth can stay healthy, especially throughout the playoffs
why was this moved from Niner Talk so fast? The trade wasn't official until today when he passed his physical. The haste was unnecessary especially considering the magnitude of a player he was for us. Should have let his thread live in NT for at least a day or two
Originally posted by 49erminion:
why was this moved from Niner Talk so fast? The trade wasn't official until today when he passed his physical. The haste was unnecessary especially considering the magnitude of a player he was for us. Should have let his thread live in NT for at least a day or two

Exactly. THANKS TRUMP!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

I wouldnt go that far, but this was his "worst" season. He definently wasnt playing all 4 QTs like he used to, which is understandable when u have that many good DL players, you can take more plays off.

lol this gif is soooo good with this lolol
  • JMC52
  • Veteran

Because he's not a niner anymore
Originally posted by JMC52:
Okay, I guess all future Joe Montana and Jerry Rice discussions should move to NFL Talk, since neither of them play for the 49ers anymore, and since both of them finished their careers with other teams.
Originally posted by JMC52:

Wasn't official until yesterday afternoon and it was moved immediately the day before. Reading is fundamental, dude.
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Every year ppl clamor for a WR with our 1st round pick. Most years im against it. This year especially.

Few Reasons:

1. Run 1st philosophy.
2. 3 young Wrs (Samuel, Bourne, Hurd)
3. 3 DB's become FA's after 2020 (Sherm, Witherspoon, and Mosley)
4. Cap space created from trade 12 mil and change is AAV floor for Kittle.
5. Team can't afford to pay FA DB's.
6. 2020 draft has at least 4 1st rd WR prospects if not more.
7. Team has 2 1st rd picks.

Lets recap.

Deep WR draft, for a run 1st team with very little cap space wiggle room, that has a secondary that could be completely different in 2 years.

Also can't forget about the oline. Interior starters could be improved and depth at OT is also a need.
You already know Kyle is drooling over this WR class. And losing to a faster, more high powered offense in the Superbowl probably doesn't sit well with him either.

Everything you said just proves my point.

There's 6 or 7 Wrs that can go in the 1st and maybe 3 or 4 CB's. Which means logic then dictates you can find a better WR prospect in the 2nd round and on then you could a CB. Looking at this draft class that is obviously the case. KS could nab a Brandon Aiyuk or Michael Pittman in the mid to late 2nd or early 3rd and these guys would produce in his scheme. You can't say that at CB.

Yes KC's high powered offense exposed a weakness and it isn't on offense. It was the 2nd CB. Witherspoon is inconsistent and Moseley although a try hard, has a ceiling. That and the defense needs more depth. Injuries on the dline increased the starters snap counts and they wore down at the end.

And again idk why this keeps getting completely ignored.

This team especially with upcoming extensions does not I repeat does not have the money to bring in quality FA's. They will need to draft and develop to sustain success.

At WR there is Deebo Samuel, Kendrick Bourne and to supplement there is Jalen Hurd and Trent Taylor. Each is young and has shown at the very least competence and the ability to produce. Yes Hurd only played in the preseason, but snagging contested catches amd running through guys translates. Each will be on the team in 2021.

At DB there is Richard Sherman, Akhello Witherspoon, and Emmanuel Moseley. Each will be a FA after 2020. Who are the 49ers going to replace the 1 2 and 3 CB's with?

Dontae Johnson, Tim Harris, and DJ Reed? Better hope not.

This team needs 2 CB's to challenge WR's. They have 1 in Sherman but not for much longer at his age even if they can re-sign him to a short extension. They don't have the money to pay 1 in FA so they need to draft 1. The team has young WR's already. Can they use another WR, yes but not with their very 1st pick when there are more talented players at positions of greater needs, i.e, CB and OL.

This is a reasonable stance and it really boils down to what will make the team better overall. Still prefer Ruggs, but I totally understand this take. We can come away with the number 1 corner, conceivably trade back and still get 1st round talent at receiver and maybe add another future starter. I do think Mosely will be brought back, but it leaves our situation at corner very bare.
Share 49ersWebzone