LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Draft picks are such a crapshoot. I would have rather traded for another stud established player with a lower salary
These guys are blowing a ton of money on Goodwin and McKinnon who aren't contributing squat. Then we can't afford the few extra mil to retain Buckner? 49er brass blew this big time.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Defo, thanks for the memories.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
These guys are blowing a ton of money on Goodwin and McKinnon who aren't contributing squat. Then we can't afford the few extra mil to retain Buckner? 49er brass blew this big time.

I get it from a cap perspective and we desperately needed draft picks. Although this will be really bad if AA was a one year wonder.

But you just cant pay 4 DL big money, even 3 DL is not how you build a team that can contend every year. AA was much cheaper, its basically a 3 year deal worth 40 mil, and we got a bigger return by trading Buck.

And lets face it, Buck was a good player, but hes not a once a generation talent, hes no Donald.

I was cursing up a storm at first, but I understand the thought process behind it.
I would have traded any of our DL not named Bosa for a top pick knowing that top pick puts us in the advantage to acquire one of the best WRs in a very high end WR draft year.
We got the 13th pick for Buck. What did the Texans got for Hopkins... lol
Wow. Sure it's a cheaper move but Buckner was a proven commodity and a beast on the DL. The number 7 pick for an unproven 13 is indicative of low cap numbers.
Originally posted by matt49er:
This move really shocked me, after the initial shock wore off, I understand it and actually think it makes perfect sense. Like many of you have said, it hurts though, I always envisioned Buckner being on this team a long time, he's a cornerstone. But it was the right decision for the franchise.

With that said, the team needs to invest a high draft pick in a DT. I understand DJ Jones can see an expanded role and we're pretty deep still on the interior DL with Taylor, Street, Thomas, Givens and AA/Blaire being able to play both edge and inside. Still, we just lost one of the best DT's in football, replacing him with his former backups is going to mean the DL takes a step back, the same DL that was our team strength and got us to the Super Bowl last year.

I know everyone wants one of the elite 3 WRs with the 13th pick & I'm excited for that very real possibility as well. I do wonder though if it would make sense to grab one of the 2 elite DTs in this draft whom are both top 10 prospects & grab a WR with either pick 31 or a 2nd round pick if we do trade down from that pick. It's going to be interesting to see how the team addresses everything after this deal.

The only sense that comes out of trading a top DL for the #13 pick so that we can draft another DL who probably won't contribute until his second season would be for financial reasons. This isn't the reason why we traded DeFo for the 13th pick. Our team needs to score points and the offense needs to scare defenses.

Right now, the only person on our offense that scares defenses is Kyle. That won't cut it.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
So so sad.

I understand it from our POV.

I understand it from Buck's POV

I understand it allows us to keep a few more players and even improve if we nail the draft.

Still hate it, and that's why I'd make a terrible GM. Even if it was the best decision in the short - long term. Don't know if I could have made it.

I think Buckner made the choice for them with his agent saying he won't sign for anything less than 21mill a year and will hold out and not play on his 5th year option(all speculation, but insinuated in multiple articles)
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Zachary:
Originally posted by 9moon:
UNLESS we draft someone who ends up a MAHOME type of SUPERSTAR, the trade will never make any sense..

Wtf lol

He's right. That's a big, big loss. #13 draft pick is not as good as him. Not by a long shot. Expect our defensive line to drop off a lot. Expect Bosa to suffer with no Buckner in there to eat up blockers. All that said of course I understand why they did it given the cap situation and the amount allocated to the defensive line. And it's great to have #13 and #31 in the first round. Hopefully we can hit on those and fill some holes.

I disagree, the trade makes sense. He just doesn't understand why. Losing a player and getting nothing, one player vs three players. He is not Aaron Donald or even Chris Jones. 21 million? Love the guy, would like to keep him, but keeping the TEAM contenders in the long run is the goal. The 13th pick if he turns out to be a good player. Its good, a pro bowler, its great. You never know. Teams all over the NFL are forced to make choices.

5 healthy games of Jimmy Ward, 10 healthy games of AA and the next Thomas or Pettis?
I would have rather had 16 games of a healthy DeFo.

At over 10% of the entire cap space,crippling contract

I have no idea who the 49ers will pick at 13 or if they even keep that pick. They could trade it and move back a few spots and end up with a later #1 plus a #2. They could keep #13 and trade the #31 foe a 2nd and 3rd.They could go big time receiver like Jeudy or Lamb. They could use it to grab another DL like Kinlaw. They could draft another OL to help with the pass protection or to be Staley's replacement.

Any of the above are all scenarios that will help the team. I don't really have a preference since it really depends on who is there when they pick or what kind of deal they make if they trade back again. It gives them so many options that they didn't have before and saves them a little money too. It also presents a big opportunity for guys like Jones and some of the younger players to step up and show what they can do.
Could we really not have afforded Buckner? I see a lot of cuts the 49ers could have made to save cap dollars. Do we really need Tevin Coleman with Mostert/Breida/Wilson? Do we need Goodwin? Nzeocha? McKinnon?

To me it looks like we needed to make it work for just 1 season. Sherman's $13 million and Sollys $9 million come off the books next year. Have the option to cut Dee Ford and save another $13 million.

The TV deals and 17 game season could increase the cap to 230-240 million in 2021. Just in time for extensions to Kittle and Warner.

I would have been just fine letting Ward walk too knowing we would have Buck, Ford, Bosa, and Armstead together for at least 1 more season.
Originally posted by Cutitoff:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
So so sad.

I understand it from our POV.

I understand it from Buck's POV

I understand it allows us to keep a few more players and even improve if we nail the draft.

Still hate it, and that's why I'd make a terrible GM. Even if it was the best decision in the short - long term. Don't know if I could have made it.

I think Buckner made the choice for them with his agent saying he won't sign for anything less than 21mill a year and will hold out and not play on his 5th year option(all speculation, but insinuated in multiple articles)
Smart move by Lynch he's starting to remind me of John Schneider in Seattle and the Clowney situation. $22 mil is the going rate for a top edge or DL while the market for a top tight end is only $11 mil.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Every year ppl clamor for a WR with our 1st round pick. Most years im against it. This year especially.

Few Reasons:

1. Run 1st philosophy.
2. 3 young Wrs (Samuel, Bourne, Hurd)
3. 3 DB's become FA's after 2020 (Sherm, Witherspoon, and Mosley)
4. Cap space created from trade 12 mil and change is AAV floor for Kittle.
5. Team can't afford to pay FA DB's.
6. 2020 draft has at least 4 1st rd WR prospects if not more.
7. Team has 2 1st rd picks.

Lets recap.

Deep WR draft, for a run 1st team with very little cap space wiggle room, that has a secondary that could be completely different in 2 years.

Also can't forget about the oline. Interior starters could be improved and depth at OT is also a need.

Can we stop with this? Shanahan's system is not a run first philosophy and NEVER has been.

2019 is the 2nd year in his professional career that his offense had more rushing attempts than passing attempts. And before you say it, he didnt always have a bad team having to throw from behind.

The one and only reason 2019 isnt his first year having more rushing attempts than passing is because the other year, his quarterback had 120 rushing attempts on his own.

Dude he sets defenses up like a chess master and it all goes through the run game. He gets defenses flowing then exploits with PA. I really don't think this is even worth further debating. His run game literally sets up his entire offense and how he calls plays throughout a game. Definitely run 1st.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SisterFister:
Could we really not have afforded Buckner? I see a lot of cuts the 49ers could have made to save cap dollars. Do we really need Tevin Coleman with Mostert/Breida/Wilson? Do we need Goodwin? Nzeocha? McKinnon?

To me it looks like we needed to make it work for just 1 season. Sherman's $13 million and Sollys $9 million come off the books next year. Have the option to cut Dee Ford and save another $13 million.

The TV deals and 17 game season could increase the cap to 230-240 million in 2021. Just in time for extensions to Kittle and Warner.

I would have been just fine letting Ward walk too knowing we would have Buck, Ford, Bosa, and Armstead together for at least 1 more season.
I think they could have afforded Buckner.

My speculation here. I think the 49ers called around to see what they can get by trading Buckner and by trading AA, to gauge the market for each of them. When IND offered #13 overall for Buckner, that's when the team seriously entertained the idea. Had the best offer for Buckner been a mid 2nd, for example, perhaps the team re-signs Buckner and trades AA for a 3rd rounder (whatever the market price was for AA).

My point is that the #13 overall was too enticing for the 49ers as it offered a chance to make moves geared towards sustained success (blue chip prospect at #13, trade down for more cheap contributors).
Share 49ersWebzone