There are 253 users in the forums

Terrell Owens Thread: Hall of Fame?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Terrell Owens Thread: Hall of Fame?

Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I'll give you Brady, but culpepper was a product of moss

Moss also played with Jake Reed and Chris Carter and that back Robert Smith? Moss had help too

Never said he didn't have help, but let's not pretend like rice didn't have MUCH more help. I love rice, but I call it how I see it. I believe moss was the most talented wr to ever play the game. Period. He definitely had character issues though, not gonna deny that, and he didn't have the work ethic rice had.

My top 5 wrs of all time:
1) Moss
2) Rice
3) Owens
4) Marvin Harrison
5) Calvin Johnson ( I know it's early but I'm judging pure talent and freak athlete, he's like the Lebron of football. By the end of his career, he'll likely be in my top 3)

You never watched rice play then
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this is my feel as well. Jerry was the total package: Skills and the greatest work ethic. Both TO and Moss have huge question marks regarding either character (TO) and work ethic (moss).
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I'll give you Brady, but culpepper was a product of moss

Moss also played with Jake Reed and Chris Carter and that back Robert Smith? Moss had help too

Never said he didn't have help, but let's not pretend like rice didn't have MUCH more help. I love rice, but I call it how I see it. I believe moss was the most talented wr to ever play the game. Period. He definitely had character issues though, not gonna deny that, and he didn't have the work ethic rice had.

My top 5 wrs of all time:
1) Moss
2) Rice
3) Owens
4) Marvin Harrison
5) Calvin Johnson ( I know it's early but I'm judging pure talent and freak athlete, he's like the Lebron of football. By the end of his career, he'll likely be in my top 3)

there's a difference between talent and production and even potential.
Are you not Entertained !!!

GOAT.....and it's not even close
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:

this

This x 100000000000........................
There is more to it than just the stats. It's about the talent. Moss was the most talented wr to ever play the game in my opinion.

His first year with Brady he broke Rice's single season TD record. Imagine what he would've done with Montana?

There is more to it than just the stats. It's about the talent. Moss was the most talented wr to ever play the game in my opinion.

His first year with Brady he broke Rice's single season TD record. Imagine what he would've done with Montana?

In 1987, Jerry had 23 td (22rec, 1rush) in only 12 games. Imagine Jerrys numbers with 4 more games.

Also imagine Jerrys numbers with Brady in an air raid offense throwing the ball almost 70% of the time. There was really only one time in his career we went that pass happy (1995 - our pass/rush ratio was 62/38) and all he did they year was have 122 catches for a then record 1848 yards.

In comparing Jerry and randy the only thing randy had on him was 2" in height and he was faster. Jerry killed moss in every other thing attributed to receiving (routes, toughness, work ethic, clutchness, etc...). Randy was faster and could jump higher yet, his numbers never eclipsed Jerrys in a league by the late 90s and 2000s that made it easier to be a WR. Even with Brady, moss's numbers didn't eclipse Jerrys prime years from a decade earlier.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 12, 2015 at 9:41 AM ]

In 1987, Jerry had 23 td (22rec, 1rush) in only 12 games. Imagine Jerrys numbers with 4 more games.

Also imagine Jerrys numbers with Brady in an air raid offense throwing the ball almost 70% of the time. There was really only one time in his career we went that pass happy (1995 - our pass/rush ratio was 62/38) and all he did they year was have 122 catches for a then record 1848 yards.

In comparing Jerry and randy the only thing randy had on him was 2" in height and he was faster. Jerry killed moss in every other thing attributed to receiving (routes, toughness, work ethic, clutchness, etc...). Randy was faster and could jump higher yet, his numbers never eclipsed Jerrys in a league by the late 90s and 2000s that made it easier to be a WR. Even with Brady, moss's numbers didn't eclipse Jerrys prime years from a decade earlier.

Moss was the fastest WR to 3000 yards, another Rice record he broke, with worse QBs.

I take nothing away from Rice. One of the greatest to ever play the game. But I don't look at numbers when I evaluate talent, I look at the skill. Not that Rice didn't have skill, he obviously did, but Randy had more.

Speed: Moss
Route Running: Rice
Hands: Moss
YAC: Rice
Vertical: Moss
Deep Threat: Moss
Slant Routes: Rice
Agility: Moss

The list can go on and on, but we'll stop there and discuss.

Moss is much faster than Rice and its not even close.
Though Rice was the better route runner, Moss was still a terrific route runner.
Moss had slightly better hands. But Rice's hands were terrific as well.
YAC goes to Rice. He's the king of that. But make no mistake, Moss had great YAC ability.
Vertical goes to Moss. Period.
Deep threat goes to Moss. Period. He had the ability to stretch the field like nothing we've ever seen before.
Slant routes and other routes inside was were Rice shined. The best at turning a 10yrd catch into a 60yrd TD.
Agility goes to Moss.

It's very close. There is a reason this is a constant debate. There is no right answer. Because there are too many hypotheticals to what could've been. So Rice will always prevail because he has the numbers. But I urge you to let your 9er bias go, and think outside the box. What if.... What if.... Moss had the team Rice had, and Rice had the teams Moss had... I love the 49ers just like you do... But I can't look past that... what if....
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Aug 12, 2015 at 10:02 AM ]

• thl408
Moss was the fastest WR to 3000 yards, another Rice record he broke, with worse QBs.

I take nothing away from Rice. One of the greatest to ever play the game. But I don't look at numbers when I evaluate talent, I look at the skill. Not that Rice didn't have skill, he obviously did, but Randy had more.

Though Rice was the better route runner, Moss was still a terrific route runner.
YAC goes to Rice. He's the king of that. But make no mistake, Moss had great YAC ability.
Deep threat goes to Moss. Period. He had the ability to stretch the field like nothing we've ever seen before.
Slant routes and other routes inside was were Rice shined. The best at turning a 10yrd catch into a 60yrd TD.
Agility goes to Moss.

It's very close. There is a reason this is a constant debate. There is no right answer. Because there are too many hypotheticals to what could've been. So Rice will always prevail because he has the numbers. But I urge you to let you 9er bias go, and think outside the box. What if.... What if.... Moss had the team Rice had, and Rice had the teams Moss had...
"Vertical = Moss. Deep threat = Moss." What is that? You can't list the same thing twice to make your case.

Moss was the best deep threat the league has ever seen. The ultimate X WR.
Rice does everything else better. The ultimate Z WR.

Agility goes to Moss.

It's very close. There is a reason this is a constant debate. There is no right answer. Because there are too many hypotheticals to what could've been. So Rice will always prevail because he has the numbers. But I urge you to let your 9er bias go, and think outside the box. What if.... What if.... Moss had the team Rice had, and Rice had the teams Moss had... I love the 49ers just like you do... But I can't look past that... what if....

This notion that randy didn't have any QBs is ridiculous. Cunningham(former MVP), George (perhaps strongest arm ever) and Culppepper all suited his vertical game. Then he had Brady.

I still stand by my opinion

Speed: moss
Route: Jerry
Yac: Jerry
Hands:Jerry
Jump: moss
Deep: moss
Toughness:Jerry
Leadership:Jerry
Clutchness:Jerry
Work ethic: Jerry
Durability:Jerry

Agility goes to Moss.

This notion that randy didn't have any QBs is ridiculous. Cunningham(former MVP), George (perhaps strongest arm ever) and Culppepper all suited his vertical game. Then he had Brady.

Hands:Moss
Work ethic: Jerry(Moss worked his ass off but Jeryy was undeniable)
Adding a couple and changed hands, moss's were better IMO

Short routes: Rice
Intermediate: Rice
First Step: Rice
Vs. Press: Rice
Blocking: Rice

Agility goes to Moss.

Hands:Jerry
Work ethic: Jerry

He only had 1 healthy season under Brady, and didn't he only have one season with Cunningham? Culpepper is good, but don't even try to compare these QBs to Montana and Young. Rice was very privledged to play damn near his whole career with those QBs. And to have Walsh on top of that??
He only had 1 healthy season under Brady, and didn't he only have one season with Cunningham? Culpepper is good, but don't even try to compare these QBs to Montana and Young. Rice was very privledged to play damn near his whole career with those QBs. And to have Walsh on top of that??

Point is, all those QBs were tailor made for his vertical game (for the record, his first 3 QB consisted of a former MVP and 2 first round picks). So from '98 to '04 he had QBs that fit his game. Then in '07 he got Brady and then had him again in '09 and til his release in '10.

Joe and Steve are my two favorite players of all time, so I would never try to compare anyone to them. But this narrative, that moss carried a bunch of bums is also ridiculous.

He had Walsh as coach for 4 years. Moss has a Walsh protege in Dennis green and was in a WCO in Minnesota.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone