LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

OL Trenton Brown, Future Hall Of Fame Right Tackle

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Trent Brown is intriguing, but let's be real here....all we know is that he's looked good in a t-shirt and shorts. They haven't even put on pads yet, or simulated anything close to a real game. WAY too early to talk about him supplanting AD.

And in regards to AD, I have no idea why fans are so down on him. He's a very good player. His problem last year was health, not ability. When he plays the positive impact on the o-line is very obvious, especially in the run-game.

He was a top notch college player too.
this Brown guy may be a good back up...
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
He was a really good player in college. I think he'll stick, but I've said that already. He's not going to start over AD though. If he gets in really great shape he could be a fantastic player. He was a dominant run blocker (just destroyed people) last year and very good in pass protection as well. But he also could barely play half the snaps because he was out of shape.

We need to whip him into shape. He could be a massive steal.

I find myself falling into that trap a bit by assuming that b/c a player has started in the past, he's guaranteed to start again...even if not in camp. I have to pull back from that b/c this is a totally different coaching staff (esp. the position coaches) and with a new zone blocking scheme, playbook, etc. these coaches will have final say in who THEY think is truly best suited for the job. Guys like Davis and Boone were given nice contracts under a power-run scheme. We are the polar opposite of that now and if a younger player shows more upside in that scheme and what the coaches are hoping to accomplish on the field, are there working their asses off, build chemistry and help cement an effective OL, who's to assume anything? For all we know, JT and the coaches have their own ideas about who the better fits are NOW...not yesterday. I would not be surprised if there are way more open jobs that we initially thought. And that's a good thing. The bottom line is Boone/Davis need to get in here, work on conditioning big time, short area quickness, study and master the new playbook and blocking assignment, build chemistry with the other tryouts, etc. and reearn their starting positions. It would be one thing if both were in contact with the coaching staff or FO and let them know of their plans...but I haven't heard anything to this nature...in fact JT said he hasn't heard from either and that's not a great start to a new regime.
Id like to see Brown at RG. If he can keep his weight below 350lbs, he'd be a nightmare pulling around towards Staley and Thomas. At a minimum, he's not going to get pushed back, which be a huge benefit on short yardage situations.

Was it Parcells that believed in the Planet theory?
They are trying him on the outside at Tackle but he may eventually move inside to Guard. It's good to try him at both.

If this Oline can stay healthy, it looks pretty deep going into the year despite losing Iupati.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Agree. Davis doesn't have an attitude issue at all in my opinion. He said things like they were last season, that Roman sucked. His injury had A LOT to do with how awful our OL was. Replacing him with a rookie would be an enormous mistake. He's still extremely young and if healthy, he is one of the better RT's in the league.

It also helps to keep in mind that Davis had to make an adjustment to a man blocking scheme in the NFL, he played in a pure zone blocking scheme in college, if anything, we might see him perform at even a higher level this season if he's healthy.

Posted right after the 2010 draft.

I understand why the 49ers wanted Anthony Davis in terms of talent and need on their line. Despite his size, he doesn't really fit the bill if you're looking for a road grading tackle. He absolutely has left tackle feet and quickness, and even though San Francisco has Joe Staley, it's still hard to fathom Anthony not settling in on that side eventually. Rutgers runs a zone blocking scheme that requires a lot in terms of athleticism and reading defenses. I remember those lines that Mike Solari had in Kansas City, so it's easy to envision Davis filling out and adding some more power. Still think that the 49ers went for the best combination of need and position though, and Mike Iupati is the guy they're adding specifically to open holes for Frank Gore, not Davis.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/4/27/1446478/49ers-ot-anthony-davis-as-seen

Excellent points and finds!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They are trying him on the outside at Tackle but he may eventually move inside to Guard. It's good to try him at both.

If this Oline can stay healthy, it looks pretty deep going into the year despite losing Iupati.

If he can play both we struck gold.

IMO, Boone will be moving on after this season. Maybe Trent sees this guy as Boon'e replacement??
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

IMO, Boone will be moving on after this season. Maybe Trent sees this guy as Boon'e replacement??

Would be ironic if they can find another 6'8 guy that can play guard to replace the 6'8 Boone at guard. Younger and cheaper. Baalke might be pushing the coaches for that.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Lol AD isn't going anywhere

AD in my opinion is one of the best RTs in the NFL
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Would be ironic if they can find another 6'8 guy that can play guard to replace the 6'8 Boone at guard. Younger and cheaper. Baalke might be pushing the coaches for that.

You know, the fact that he can even play T is remarkable. But in a ZBS, if we move him inside to RG, he's really the "wall" that seals off those corners on runs to the right by either Hyde/Hunter/Bush/Davis or CK. It would be terrific to get him in there and see how that goes.

Originally posted by JR80Forever:
I want Trent Brown to start @ RT. Anthony Davis I was a huge fan of, but his s**tty attitude is growing on me. I remember when he came out he had question marks about his desire for the game and his personality.

This past year I know he was injured, but I felt his vibe and it's not a team first vibe. He's like a Vernon pre Singletary personality.

I hope Tomsula sees through his crap and benches him in favor of Trent.

What i want to know is, what attitude are you talking about? since when has AD become an issue, he went through injury after injury last season.

So he supposed to be happy about that? are you sure you're not confusing him with Boone?

I haven't heard anything from AD having an attitude of any sort.

Please provide proof of this attitude he is having.
AD might our best Oline player, seriously. He is that dominant in the run game. Our offense was night and day when he came back from injury at the end of the season.

Why is his attitude bad? He didnt like roman, no one on here does so now he is supposed to be all cute about it when he leaves? Nothing he has done in my opinion has shown he is not a team guy. If anything I really like his attitude, we need some mean people on our team and AD is a bad MOFO.
niner talk
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
AD might our best Oline player, seriously. He is that dominant in the run game. Our offense was night and day when he came back from injury at the end of the season.

Why is his attitude bad? He didnt like roman, no one on here does so now he is supposed to be all cute about it when he leaves? Nothing he has done in my opinion has shown he is not a team guy. If anything I really like his attitude, we need some mean people on our team and AD is a bad MOFO.

some of us tried to tell you guys about roman after the super bowl
davis and trents daughter tried to tell you guys about roman last year
all you can do is try
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Could Trent Brown be last year's Seantrelle Henderson of the Buffalo Bills??
Share 49ersWebzone