LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

The Mt. Rushmore of NFL Franchises? (Super Bowl Era; My 4 are Pit, SF, Dal, NE)

Shop 49ers game tickets

The Mt. Rushmore of NFL Franchises? (Super Bowl Era; My 4 are Pit, SF, Dal, NE)

I would probably put NE in the Mt. Rushmore of franchises as well.

They were the team of the 00's. HOF QB and HC. 3 SB wins in the decade. 7 SB appearances in franchise history. That's pretty impressive.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I would probably put NE in the Mt. Rushmore of franchises as well.

They were the team of the 00's. HOF QB and HC. 3 SB wins in the decade. 7 SB appearances in franchise history. That's pretty impressive.

49ers - 5 SB
Steelers - 6 SB
Cowboys - 5 SB
Packers - 3 SB and 8 NFL championships

Patriots just dont make the cut. They werent even good until the late 90's-early 00's.
Originally posted by Niners99:
49ers - 5 SB
Steelers - 6 SB
Cowboys - 5 SB

Patriots just dont make the cut. They werent even good until the late 90's-early 00's.

Do NFL championships even count? I think the Browns won the most, but nobody cares outside of Cleveland lol.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
49ers - 5 SB
Steelers - 6 SB
Cowboys - 5 SB

Do NFL championships even count? I think the Browns won the most, but nobody cares outside of Cleveland lol.

The Packers won the most titles by far, and have been one of the most consistently great franchises of all time. Way more deserving than the Pats.
The Packers won the most titles by far, and have been one of the most consistently great franchises of all time. Way more deserving than the Pats.
In addition NE has played in a division comprised of the NJY BUF and MIA the last two decades. None of those teams were playoff caliber over that span consistently. Then you have their impossible to replicate film review capabilities to consider as well. Those guys can tell you what you've practiced in your final walkthroughs the day of the game! This is why they were trying to call Bellicheck a genius as if he were Walsh
nvm...OP is talking about an actual 'Mt. Rushmore' consisting of 4 teams.

In that case, I agree. Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:41 PM ]
you nailed it, SF, Dal, Pitt, GB
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
I'd agree with the 4 you listed, Chicago and New York (Giants) could make a case, but they'd be on the outside looking in, IMO.
If you include titles before the merger Chicago smokes everyone, they have to be up there. The NFL is 95 years old, not 50.
seahawks, saints, ny giants and baltimore ravens
Originally posted by BobS:
If you include titles before the merger Chicago smokes everyone, they have to be up there. The NFL is 95 years old, not 50.

This thread is really more about the post-merger NFL as it obviously more closely resembles what we know as today's NFL considering the franchises, the number of them involved, etc. Since the first Super Bowl was only three years before the merger, and the amount of SB titles are a main component of how the top franchises are measured, this is also to include the Super Bowl-era NFL (thus, I have the Packers as one of my four franchises).

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
This thread is really more about the post-merger NFL as it obviously more closely resembles what we know as today's NFL considering the franchises, the number of them involved, etc. Since the first Super Bowl was only three years before the merger, and the amount of SB titles are a main component of how the top franchises are measured, this is also to include the Super Bowl-era NFL (thus, I have the Packers as one of my four franchises).

I have to agree. Previous to the AFL-NFL merger, TV wasn't a big part of the game. I think radio was the main medium. One reason I say this is because television added to the professionalism of the game. Prior to TV, most coaches and players worked other jobs in the offseason - the way semi-pro and amatures do today. Nowadays because of the big TV money, coaches and players coach and train year round. It's their full time job. So the dividing line for me in terms of championships was around the AFL-NFL merger and where television began to really generate tons of revenues for the League.
Originally posted by niner4ever12:
seahawks, saints, ny giants and baltimore ravens

goddamnit, i want our most deadliest rival, the BUFFALO BILLS included!
Originally posted by Giedi:
I have to agree. Previous to the AFL-NFL merger, TV wasn't a big part of the game. I think radio was the main medium. One reason I say this is because television added to the professionalism of the game. Prior to TV, most coaches and players worked other jobs in the offseason - the way semi-pro and amatures do today. Nowadays because of the big TV money, coaches and players coach and train year round. It's their full time job. So the dividing line for me in terms of championships was around the AFL-NFL merger and where television began to really generate tons of revenues for the League.

Good point about T.V. and the impact it had on the game - good post.
My 4 would be SF, GB, Pitts, NE. Under Jerry Jones, the Cowboy image/franchise has diminished. Many fans don't like NE, but in the modern era, show me a team that's a better organization. For me, it's not just about the SB wins...it's about the entire organization...how they function, what they stand for, excellence of their product, etc.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
My 4 would be SF, GB, Pitts, NE. Under Jerry Jones, the Cowboy image/franchise has diminished. Many fans don't like NE, but in the modern era, show me a team that's a better organization. For me, it's not just about the SB wins...it's about the entire organization...how they function, what they stand for, excellence of their product, etc.

That's why I have NE in my top 4 as well. The Cowboys are the first out because of their decline from 97-present and I'm not sure its ever going to get bettrt with Jones at the helm. I actually think I like the Giants over them. But NE in the 00s did what was very difficult to do and have sustained excellence to this day. I know they play a bad division but many said that about the Niners through the 80s and 90s. In the end you can only play who's on your schedule.
Share 49ersWebzone