LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 304 users in the forums

The Mt. Rushmore of NFL Franchises? (Super Bowl Era; My 4 are Pit, SF, Dal, NE)

Shop 49ers game tickets

The Mt. Rushmore of NFL Franchises? (Super Bowl Era; My 4 are Pit, SF, Dal, NE)

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Existence:
Cue the shrill Hawk fans in 3, 2, 1...

Patriots would get a lot of play because us Americans have such short memories...

...what was I talking about?

I don't mind. It's a *what have you done for me lately* league anyway. Right now the Seadderall Seachicken fans like to *think* of themselves as relevant in Dynasty talk, but everybody else knows that's silly. I think 3 straight NFC championship games and a superbowl appearance is dynasty level play. Note that I said *play* - a dynasty *wins* superbowls, not lose them so we still have a ways to go till we resume being a new dynasty in this decade. But out of all the teams - cowboys, steelers, packers that have been dynasties, this 49er team with 3 straight NFC championships, a young and dynamic QB, and solid roster of veterans and youth, and a front office that has proven it can deal with the cap -- I think has the best shot at becoming a new dynasty. Pats and Giants are definitely relevant in dynasty talks, too by the way.

As for Seattle.
vikings, eagles, bills, bengals
Originally posted by WINiner:
All time? Niners Cowboys Steelers Packers.

Honorable mentions: Giants, Bears, Redskins, Raiders.

I like this breakdown. I would also throw the patriots in the mix. But if we are specifically talking about the Super Bowl era the top 4 listed are locks.
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Antix:
Its always hard for me to answer questions like these because my football knowledge only goes back to like 1980 and I dunno much bout before then and I hate to not give historic teams their due.

That said I'd say Steelers Niners for sure. Then its a toss up for me between Packers Pats and Cowboys. Packers have a very rich history so I'd say them. Pats were consistently good during a time where it was hard to be a perennial winner. Cowboys, well I think my hatred for them seeps through so I'd take them out. They've only won a single playoff game in like 15 years, but they do have championships.

Niners Steelers Packers Patriots in that order. Honorable mention to Cowboys and Giants.

giants gotta get the nod over the pats though right? more rings and beat them twice in the big game.

Good point, but I give more credit to Pats for being a perennial power. Also, the Giants caught heat their last two SBs and weren't a dominating reg season team, which I take into account when it comes to this type of thing.

But I like the Giants as the 5th. They're always good decade in and decade out. They never go too long without being relevant.

for me you either win it or you dont, i dont get too hung up on whether the SB winning team was dominant in terms of all time history or whatever. the pats have this one 15 year period we're currently in. in that 15 yr period the giants took 2 rings from them and were the much better team prior to these past 15 years.
1 Cleveland

2 everyone else
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
To me, it's fairly obvious…Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, and Packers would be the four all-time franchises. Now, the order in which those four would rank is another discussion altogether. The Niners always would put up a good case to be near the top starting with their rich NFL history (even before the SB years), their five SB titles plus another SB appearance, 15 NFC Championship games, an NFL record 16 consecutive seasons of 10+ wins (incredible), and their record of consecutive road wins of 18 games. They undoubtedly deserve to be at least part of the NFL's 'Mt. Rushmore'. I'd be curious to read what others thought…any different opinions to the four franchises I've mentioned here?

P.S. Just in case any of the younger generation NFL fans out there are wondering, the Seahawks wouldn't even make the all-time 'Top 15' NFL franchise list. Except for three years out of their 37 years of existence (last year, their SB appearance in 2006, and their AFC Championship game appearance in 1984), they've been mainly an irrelevant franchise. Last year and the year before marked the only time in their franchise history they've had consecutive 10+ win seasons.

P.S.S. It's a very slow point in the offseason…having Niners/NFL withdrawals…thus, the post.

It's PPS, not PSS, as PPS stands for post post script. PSS would mean post script script, which doesn't make much sense.

And now you know- go rule the world!
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
To me, it's fairly obvious…Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, and Packers would be the four all-time franchises. Now, the order in which those four would rank is another discussion altogether. The Niners always would put up a good case to be near the top starting with their rich NFL history (even before the SB years), their five SB titles plus another SB appearance, 15 NFC Championship games, an NFL record 16 consecutive seasons of 10+ wins (incredible), and their record of consecutive road wins of 18 games. They undoubtedly deserve to be at least part of the NFL's 'Mt. Rushmore'. I'd be curious to read what others thought…any different opinions to the four franchises I've mentioned here?

P.S. Just in case any of the younger generation NFL fans out there are wondering, the Seahawks wouldn't even make the all-time 'Top 15' NFL franchise list. Except for three years out of their 37 years of existence (last year, their SB appearance in 2006, and their AFC Championship game appearance in 1984), they've been mainly an irrelevant franchise. Last year and the year before marked the only time in their franchise history they've had consecutive 10+ win seasons.

P.S.S. It's a very slow point in the offseason…having Niners/NFL withdrawals…thus, the post.

It's PPS, not PSS, as PPS stands for post post script. PSS would mean post script script, which doesn't make much sense.

And now you know- go rule the world!

Thank you - I did not know that. I stand corrected (and, so now is my post...).
Browns, Packers, Steelers, Niners, Cowboys, Patriots. In that order, and one for each decade. The Raiders get some graffiti on the back side of the monument.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
vikings, eagles, bills, bengals

Lions, Jaguars, Texans, Chargers
49ers, Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, and its not really even debatable..

The 2nd string would probably be Giants, Bears, Raiders, Redskins.

Originally posted by WINiner:
All time? Niners Cowboys Steelers Packers.

Honorable mentions: Giants, Bears, Redskins, Raiders.

lol just saw this. We think alike!
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
I would say 49ers, Patriots, Steelers, and probably the Packers over the Cowboys.

Patriots get the nod over the Giants despite the Giants having more rings, because the Patriots have been consistently in the hunt every year for many many years. The Giants have had two good years but are generally out of it otherwise.

I hate the Giants, but unless this is a 21st century Mt. Rushmore, you have to consider the Giants in this discussion over the Patriots and maybe other teams.

They were a consistently good team from '84-'91 before falling off a cliff, with two Lombardis during that period and arguably our biggest foe.

They have 8 world championships (4 NFL championships, 4 super bowls).

And another thing on the Patriot connection is that Belichick cut his teeth as a DC with the Giants years before joining New England.

However I will concede that the Patriots were a legit dynasty for a few years in a way that the Giants never were. Despite some kick ass teams in the late '80s and late '00s, at best they were the best team of those Super Bowl winning seasons, but never regarded as the best team of that era. Patriots from 2000-2004 won 3 SBs in 4 years, and are still powerful to this day.

It's unfortunate that the last 13-15 years have skewed the 49ers overall dominance a bit, because went on a 20 year run as THE team in the NFL. Hopefully with another chip soon, the 49ers become that much more dominant in the grand scheme of things.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jun 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM ]
Green Bay, NY Giants, Kansas City, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Oakland. Any order you'd like...
Originally posted by eastie:
Green Bay, NY Giants, Kansas City, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Oakland. Any order you'd like...

Buffalo Bills....our GREATEST rival
Share 49ersWebzone