LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Chiefs playing hardball with Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Not even Romo & Cutler are worth Romo & Culter money, so I'd love to see Alex get that kind of contract from the Chiefs. I wish him the best.
If I have trouble sleeping at night, I just have to watch an Alex Smith highlight film and I will be down in minutes.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Not even Romo & Cutler are worth Romo & Culter money, so I'd love to see Alex get that kind of contract from the Chiefs. I wish him the best.
No doubt! You have a point!
Just because OTHER teams are stupid does not mean that ALL teams need to be stupid. ELITE qb's deserve elite pay. There is maybe 5 ellite qb's in the NFL.

When I read that Andy Dalton wants Cutler money, Alex Smith wants Cutler money, heck even Cutler, Romo did not deserve their present contracts.

I will lump in our own Kaepernick. I think CK7 is worth no more than 15 million a year. If he could read the field and pass with touch to a RB then I say give him 18 mill a year.

I would love for lots of teams to draft qb's in round 1, that means that WR's and CB's will be falling.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
"Chiefs playing hardball with Alex Smith"... wait till they draft Michael Sam, things may get harder
from the nfl.com story by daniel handhus:

Smith turns 30 on Wednesday and will be a free agent after the season. The quarterback certainly proved his worth in his first season with Andy Reid: The Chiefs had as good an offense as any team in football in the season's final two months.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by hofer36:
from the nfl.com story by daniel handhus:

Smith turns 30 on Wednesday and will be a free agent after the season. The quarterback certainly proved his worth in his first season with Andy Reid: The Chiefs had as good an offense as any team in football in the season's final two months.

Thing is, I feel Alex would have the upper hand at the moment. People say it's the Chiefs but I think it's would be the opposite way around. What if they draft a QB early and he isn't ready after next season? They take a step back. What if Alex comes out and has a very good year and gets them a playoff win or two? They now are going to have to fork over more, plus Alex can leave if he wants. Alex being a FA next year really doesn't hurt him all, because I'm sure there is a team out there that would take him in for another year or two.

Now I do think they need to draft a backup plan, or a groomer at some point. But spending a first on one when you need other pieces really doesn't make sense when you are in the middle of a "possible" SB push.
LOL. They only have 6 picks. They dont have the luxury of taking a qb while in win-now mode
If I am KC I am taking what I have in Smith and building on it. Playing "hard ball" with him should be tempered because he gives them stability and experience at a position they have none.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
If Alex gets a huge contract Kaep will gain some leverage in demanding more in his contract negotiations. Anyway, if I were the Chiefs I'd draft a CB and wide receiver then o linemen. Get Alex a tall deep threat with a wide catch radius who can fight for the ball thus giving him more confidence to throw deep more often. I like Alex, he's a class act and after carrying them in the playoffs he showed, once again, he can step up to the plate in big games. He needs more consistency throughout the season to demand a huge pay check though. A little more swagger, more confidence, more of a killer instinct. The games against the Saints and Colts in the playoffs showed he's more than capable. Get the man some weapons. Boost the mans confidence in his deep ball.

Alex has Tom Condon as his agent so he will be pushing for the big bucks unless I am wrong. Alex deserves at least $15 million in the current market and with the salary cap exploding the Chiefs need to lock him up now while they still can. 11 wins your first year under center for a team ain't easy to do for anyone let alone with the Chiefs with a first year head coach. Sure Alex might not have the rocket arm but he has adequate throwing power he is careful with the football he is smart mobile and experienced. Most of all he wins games! You have to pay him as the franchise guy because there aren't any scenarios where KC will get that guy this draft!
Playing hardball with him now guarantees Smith playing even harder on a contract year.

if he can do it again, then its a slam dunk to pay the guy.

But it sounds like Reid is not pushing the front office and securing Smith.
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on May 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by verb1der:
The truth is, Andy Reid wants a QB who is accurate with the deep ball, and Alex ain't that dude! BOOM!

so who is he going to draft who will be that dude straight away?

my vote: its another Interwebs fantasy. Just part of the negotiation.

It could be part of negotiation, either way, this goes to show that even the Chiefs aren't sold on Smith, because if they were he would've been extended a long time ago.

I'm sure Reid has done his QB research on these young dudes.

Alex simply isn't worth what he wants (assuming he really does want Cutler/Romo money). Sadly, Cutler and Romo aren't worth half of what they actually make.

Unfortunately for Alex, the Chiefs might not have buffoons in charge that are willing to grossly overpay their QB like the Bears and Cowboys.
I don't know what Alex deserves... but he should call the Chiefs' bluff.

like English wrote earlier, there is little to no chance they can bring in a rookie QB (1st rounder or what ever) and win a SuperBowl, let alone make the playoffs.

They are in their Championship window right now.

They can bluff all they want, but even if Alex agrees to their demands....they are still going to take a QB in the draft anyway. And if the 3rd rounder or what ever down the road looks good in preseason and practice...they'll look to replace Alex in a few years.

Alex should just look out for himself and let his play on the field do the negotiating.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
who does this average ass dood think he is? lol at wanting that much money.
Share 49ersWebzone