LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

49er Fan sues NFL over Playoff tickets

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope he wins.
At first I was going to laugh at this guy....but he brings up a decent point. Don't think he gets far with this. Dollar amount is crazy. He didn't suffer $40 mil in "real" damages lol.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
At first I was going to laugh at this guy....but he brings up a decent point. Don't think he gets far with this. Dollar amount is crazy. He didn't suffer $40 mil in "real" damages lol.

Yeah the price tag is ridiculous. It appears to be a self promotion exercise which is disappointing as his point seems legit.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 12thfan:
It isn't knew and Denver did it too. You guys probably did the same against N.Y.

Actually I'm pretty sure we probably didn't.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TXHawk:
Originally posted by vermonator:
With all due respect sir, challenging any possible discrimination is not stupid, it is our constitutional right. It is more stupid to do nothing.

There's no constitutional right to the purchase of NFL tickets at face value or any law that restricts a private corporation from limiting sales based on region. They simply cannot discriminate based on race, religion, or sexual orientation.

This guy filed his suit without a lawyer so that should tell you all you need to know about the merits of the case.

I don't think you understand the concept of economic discrimination.

The amount is a ploy to keep them from settling out for pennies on the dollar, I'm pretty sure he doesn't expect to really get 50million.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

The amount is a ploy to keep them from settling out for pennies on the dollar, I'm pretty sure he doesn't expect to really get 50million.

For sure, I get that. It's a $50 mil lawsuit, only $10 mil in punitive damages. The extra $40 mil in real damages is exactly as you said, a ploy to keep from settling on a very low amount.
Originally posted by kray28:

I do. Selling a product on a regional basis rather than a national or international basis is not economic discrimination. Companies do it all the time. There was nothing that excluded anyone, including 49ers fans, from attempting to buy tickets within the region they were made available. There's no law that requires a product to be universally available everywhere.

This is a frivolous lawsuit that will get laughed out of court in the unlikely event it ever gets that far.
It would be funny if he settled out of court as long as the Seacawks can't pipe in noise through the speakers any longer.

I do. Selling a product on a regional basis rather than a national or international basis is not economic discrimination. Companies do it all the time. There was nothing that excluded anyone, including 49ers fans, from attempting to buy tickets within the region they were made available. There's no law that requires a product to be universally available everywhere.

This is a frivolous lawsuit that will get laughed out of court in the unlikely event it ever gets that far.

Your right there is no law that requires he be able to bjuy a ticket, that's why he filed a LAW...SUIT. People think it's crazy but I have seen worse lawsuits win easily in court. Hell a group of hardcore gamers sued EA for having exclusive rights on Madden, and I got a $260 check from that.

• kray28
  • Veteran

When the NFL benefits from local, state and federal tax subsidies, the case for discrimination is more acute. Furthermore, the product that was being fielded wasn't just the Seahawks, it was also the 49ers. What right does the NFL or the Seahawks have to keep 49er fans from seeing their own team play?

Having access to the venue (HFA is an advantage unto itself), but when you try to restrict attendance from opposing fans to enhance your hjome field advantage...it sets a bad precedent, and the league needs to adopt an honor system whereby a certain number of tickets are to be set aside for opposing fans.
[ Edited by kray28 on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
With all due respect sir, challenging any possible discrimination is not stupid, it is our constitutional right. It is more stupid to do nothing.

There's no constitutional right to the purchase of NFL tickets at face value or any law that restricts a private corporation from limiting sales based on region. They simply cannot discriminate based on race, religion, or sexual orientation.

This guy filed his suit without a lawyer so that should tell you all you need to know about the merits of the case.

He;s never heard of the commerce clause apparently.
Originally posted by 12thfan:
It isn't knew and Denver did it too. You guys probably did the same against N.Y.

Probably isn't the same as actually doing it.

Your write thought, we new that there going to do that.
(Had to pull out the 12th man translator for that one)
The funny part is Seattle's home field advantage kicked them in the ass because they NFL won't put them in primetime for home games anymore, they only got the season opener because of tradition.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
The funny part is Seattle's home field advantage kicked them in the ass because they NFL won't put them in primetime for home games anymore, they only got the season opener because of tradition.

Wow is that for real? Or just happened that way this season? Gotta say that's pretty unreal that they only get 1 home primetime game this year. I would understand if it was the Raiders or the Browns but not Seattle.
Share 49ersWebzone