LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Jared Allen signs with Bears

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Im glad he didnt sign with seattle, they already better than us.

That was *last* season. This is a new season and they have already lost significant talent. I'm not ready to say we're better than them just yet, but I also am not going to say they are in fact better than us *this year.*
Originally posted by Giedi:

That was *last* season. This is a new season and they have already lost significant talent. I'm not ready to say we're better than them just yet, but I also am not going to say they are in fact better than us *this year.*

Yup. Core players are the same, but it's the never the same 53 every year. You never know which additions/substractions end up making the difference. We were the better team in 2012. They were the better team in 2013. No reason why we can't re-claim the NFC West in 2014.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
1. Wants to stick it to Vikings twice a year...

2. Preferred to be a Bear over a CAWK sucker...

" Dodged a mullet " LOL!!
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Dodged a mullet

Potd
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
^^ BTW, CAWKS were the "better team" with the 13th man backing them (don't forget that!)
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Giedi:

Yup. Core players are the same, but it's the never the same 53 every year. You never know which additions/substractions end up making the difference. We were the better team in 2012. They were the better team in 2013. No reason why we can't re-claim the NFC West in 2014.

To win it all in the NFL you need luck, the Seahawks had it the 49ers didn't. In the NFC Championship game the refs blew calls and the Hawks needed a scramble play to beat us. The Hawks QB was pounded and couldn't cash in from point blank range throughout the second half. I'm looking at the last three years and it comes down to ONE play in each year. Maybe in this years draft we come up with a player that makes that one play.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
To win it all in the NFL you need luck, the Seahawks had it the 49ers didn't. In the NFC Championship game the refs blew calls and the Hawks needed a scramble play to beat us. The Hawks QB was pounded and couldn't cash in from point blank range throughout the second half. I'm looking at the last three years and it comes down to ONE play in each year. Maybe in this years draft we come up with a player that makes that one play.

Well said. The thing is, I can't think of another situation where a team was so close without breaking through three straight years. Philly in the early 2000s is the example a lot of us have been using, but they weren't even close in some of their NFC title game losses.

While Jared Allen is on the downside of his career, I'm definitely glad he chose to sign in Chicago as opposed to Seattle. They beat us due to excellent depth on the defensive line (the difference between their teams from 2012 to 2013, imo).
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
I rather the Seahawks sign him to a huge deal and screw up their cap for the next few years. I'm not afraid of Jared Allen anyways. Especially as he's on his downward path in his career.

yes
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Dodged a mullet

Quote o DA year!
I think he is HOF

money over championships!!!
What do you know? All that worrying for nothing. He signed with the enemy, just not our enemy.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:52 PM ]
I'd love to see SEA suffer more cap casualties than they inevitably will face as much as anybody but I'm glad Allen didn't go to the Hawks. Their pass rush and defensive line depth was huge for them last year and I think that's where they had us beat in the trenches. Adding even a 32 y.o Allen, I think he'd be an absolute terror in their scheme so I'm glad it didn't happen.

Sea still loss a few key pieces this year and next year will be even worse for them, they'll have even bigger (and harder) decisions to make - and that's w/o signing Allen.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

And @FieldYates reports Bears QB Jay Cutler restructured his contract to free up $4M in cap space. Assist to Cutler for landing Jared Allen.
Bears will be better but not enough.

I still see the Packers winning the division.
Share 49ersWebzone