LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Errrthang Desean Jackson Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by 4ML:
That's a small chance to take when Super Bowl could be ours. Plus...$8M a year isn't a lot of money for a young pro-bowl WR. It won't kill our chances to retain Kaep or Crabtree. We would still be able to keep Aldon if we decide to. With bunch of draft picks - we can let go of a vet or two next summer to create more room if we have to. We have a strong locker room - which will be more conducive to deal with a guy like DeSean - and WRs in general can be divas.

Then...we have to factor in if other contenders have improved in FA. Denver and Pats have definitely improved. In our own division - Arizona and Rams have improved...and Rams have two picks in top 10 in a loaded draft...and if by any chance Harvin is healthy - Seattle will still be favorites in our division even after losing a few guys in FA.

...as Harbaugh said so eloquently - you're either getting better or worse. I don't think we got better in this off-season so far.

a lot of the time its about money, but also opportunity. its very possible he wasnt interested in being 3rd fiddle at wr and maybe even 4th fiddle when you throw in davis. desean jackson is a great player, he could have looked at us and said thats a good team but we cant play with 3 footballs on every play. as far as the div goes, its like this every offseason the teams beneath us got better and we maybe didnt. then we go play football and beat them. if they really got better, great, seattle got to play them too.

He'd be the best WR on our roster...and these guys are extremely confident in their abilities. Unless the coaching staff tells them that there is little chance for them to crack the starting line-up - they believe in themselves. I doubt DeSean thinks that Boldin is better than him or even Crabtree who I love btw. I doubt he feels that those guys will keep him off the field.

My point is very simple - the position we are in - we needed to be bold. Seattle did that. Ravens did that. Pats and Denver did that this off-season. And it's not like his deal would have put us in a cap hell. That is the whole of being in a good cap situation - so you can take advantage of such moments. You don't find these kind of guys in FA every season at this price-tag. We missed out - and since, we made the last ditch effort - it's kind of obvious. Nothing wrong with pointing it out. Baalke has been as good as you can be in this business - but everyone makes a mistake and IMO not going hard after him was a mistake.
Redskins are going to be exciting to watch next season
He'd be the best WR on our roster...and these guys are extremely confident in their abilities. Unless the coaching staff tells them that there is little chance for them to crack the starting line-up - they believe in themselves. I doubt DeSean thinks that Boldin is better than him or even Crabtree who I love btw. I doubt he feels that those guys will keep him off the field.

My point is very simple - the position we are in - we needed to be bold. Seattle did that. Ravens did that. Pats and Denver did that this off-season. And it's not like his deal would have put us in a cap hell. That is the whole of being in a good cap situation - so you can take advantage of such moments. You don't find these kind of guys in FA every season at this price-tag. We missed out - and since, we made the last ditch effort - it's kind of obvious. Nothing wrong with pointing it out. Baalke has been as good as you can be in this business - but everyone makes a mistake and IMO not going hard after him was a mistake.

of course he is confident in himself, all of these athletes are. if i'm him i'm looking at it objectively, its not about whether he thinks he is better than boldin or crabtree. its looking at a team who runs it a lot and has established weapons already in place. its not about who starts, its about snaps and stats. he wouldnt sniff 1000 yards on sf and he knows that. as far as having to make a bold move, thats an opinion. didnt see a bold ravens move when they won the title, nor from the packers, or the steelers, or the colts or the saints when they won. they had good teams who got close, maintained what they had and eventually broke through.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

I've no clue either what happened here - but it made no sense for us to not be more aggressive about this. Oh well...it's over with. Hopefully, a lesson learned by our FO. DeSean said it himself today - he felt embraced by the Redskins.

If you have no clue about what happened, how can you determine that what we did made no sense.

I don't know exactly what transpired but ppl can make an educated guess based on the reports. No? I'm not privy to the discussions that happened between our management guys. Nor do I think anyone else on this board does. Art of deduction, my friend.

It's obvious that we were interested. If we made a last ditch effort - it means we were willing to match or come close to an offer on the table. I've dealt with clients for my company before and I've never made a call at the last minute before losing my client - asking them to take a less favorable deal. lol...it's negotiating 101. Not only will they think you're a f**kin' chump - they'll likely never deal with you again. I've a lot of trust in our FO - I'm quite sure they're not bunch of amateurs.

It happens, sometimes you lose. Oh well...hopefully we get a steal in the draft.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Redskins are going to be exciting to watch next season

no they are not. rg will get hitt often and get hurt. jackson will be jackson in terms of his s**tty attitude
http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/will-rg3-give-his-no-10-jersey-desean-jackson

Hahaha Already turning back into MeSean. Just the fact Jackson doesn't say it doesn't matter what number, does he honestly think RG3, the franchise QB should give him his number?!?!
Originally posted by Youngone:
http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/will-rg3-give-his-no-10-jersey-desean-jackson

Hahaha Already turning back into MeSean. Just the fact Jackson doesn't say it doesn't matter what number, does he honestly think RG3, the franchise QB should give him his number?!?!

it wouldnt be given, it would be bought.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
yeah, but isn't that a testament to how good we are? I don't know how fast you expect them to improve. If by chance they get wins against others outside of their division and do damn well in their division. They can still put themselves in a good position playoff wise.

and to be honest, compared to their playoff team two years ago, their young players are getting more experience.

There is no guarantee that we could go into Washington come playoff time with out new look secondary and expect an easy win like previous years.

they drastically improved their offenses with Jackson being added to an already potent (talent wise) offensive personal. We lost our most consistent cornerback in Brown. I've always believed in Brock when everyone bashed him, but even I feel that he takes alot of chances. We'll see how that goes with our new Safety tandem.

look, I believe in Bethea, Reid, Brock, Cully (still gets burned too much for my liking)... but taking off the 9er shades, if our pass rush doesn't consistently get to RG3, those Receivers will cause trouble.

#30th ranked defense that arguably got worse.............not scurred.
yeah, but isn't that a testament to how good we are? I don't know how fast you expect them to improve. If by chance they get wins against others outside of their division and do damn well in their division. They can still put themselves in a good position playoff wise.

and to be honest, compared to their playoff team two years ago, their young players are getting more experience.

There is no guarantee that we could go into Washington come playoff time with out new look secondary and expect an easy win like previous years.

they drastically improved their offenses with Jackson being added to an already potent (talent wise) offensive personal. We lost our most consistent cornerback in Brown. I've always believed in Brock when everyone bashed him, but even I feel that he takes alot of chances. We'll see how that goes with our new Safety tandem.

look, I believe in Bethea, Reid, Brock, Cully (still gets burned too much for my liking)... but taking off the 9er shades, if our pass rush doesn't consistently get to RG3, those Receivers will cause trouble.

If ANY pass rush doesn't get to the QB the opposing receivers will cause trouble.

Even the Seahawks with that vaunted secondary would get roasted if they didn't have a pass rush.

It's not doom and gloom. Culliver is an upgrade over Brown. Brock is an upgrade over Rogers and we will most likely add a stud rookie. I dont think we will miss a beat with Bethea. I think he will be better than Whitner. Remember, Whitner is one year shy of having one of the worst season's ever for a safety.

We will be just fine.

You don't see anything wrong with his response? I certainly do. And RG3 would have to give his consent. So yeah, permission would have to be given.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:

If ANY pass rush doesn't get to the QB the opposing receivers will cause trouble.

Even the Seahawks with that vaunted secondary would get roasted if they didn't have a pass rush.

It's not doom and gloom. Culliver is an upgrade over Brown. Brock is an upgrade over Rogers and we will most likely add a stud rookie. I dont think we will miss a beat with Bethea. I think he will be better than Whitner. Remember, Whitner is one year shy of having one of the worst season's ever for a safety.

We will be just fine.

Cully is not an upgrade over Brown... sure he has potential to be, but has been burnt on numerous occasions. Until he proves otherwise, he is not an upgrade. Brown has been our most consistent CB.

it's a given how important a pass rush is with a team... but there have been a few occasions where our secondary held on, to where our pass rush eventually got there. We have had many coverage sacks because of this.

the difference is, what type of offensive personal you are going against. Give our receivers time and sure they might find openings, but it won't be for huge plays the majority of the time. Give Desean Jackson and Garcon time and space, and there is potential it can go to the house each time.

someone said that we were a few plays from both SuperBowls and because of that, we actually don't need Jackson that bad or what ever.

but when Seattle almost made it to the Championship game...that next offseason.. they went all out and stacked up. Now they have their SuperBowl ring. I don't expect us to sacrifice the whole team for one player...but it doesn't seem like it was that far out for us to bring him here.

and if he didn't want to come here because of our reputation for not passing the ball..then that is our fault because you can't expect to get ProBowl players cheap and promise them incentives to make up for the cheap contract...but then don't even give them chances to reach those incentives.

if our offensive approach doesn't change this year.... then what ever...another good season that will end in disappointment... but its ok, I'm starting to get use to it now....I've joined a Buffalo Bills support group.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Apr 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
#30th ranked defense that arguably got worse.............not scurred.

Defense ranking can change dramatically with an improved offense. Their running game should have a huge improvement if RGIII is healthy and DeSean is forcing defenses to stay honest.

Having said that - I'm not scared of Washington. DeSean on our roster would have made us scary. Not on the team in DC.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

You don't see anything wrong with his response? I certainly do. And RG3 would have to give his consent. So yeah, permission would have to be given.

I agree it's Ridiculous that he's even bringing it up. RG3's jersey was like one of the bestsellers for a year.how many Redskins fans would to have to get rid of it?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:

I agree it's Ridiculous that he's even bringing it up. RG3's jersey was like one of the bestsellers for a year.how many Redskins fans would to have to get rid of it?

best way they can spin it from RG3's perspective is that he wants to "take the next step" and "be a true leader" so he'll take a new number for this "new legacy". No matter what though it is a MeSean moment.
in his 33 starts before chip kelly arrived in philly last year jackson had only 5 games of 100 yards or more and only 7 tds...maybe he will miss kelly's offensive innovations
Share 49ersWebzone